ALH turbo lag

janjis313

TDI
A3 66kw
Hello everyone,
I have installed an SDI cam and 100hp injectors on my ALH and now it has a massive turbo lag just like it would have limp mode before it reaches 2250 rpms after that it just pulls. Can anybody point me to the right direction where to resolve this issue?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Fuel lag more than turbo spool time
Turbo lag is the lag time ot takes to regain boost between shifts. Spool lag is the lag it takes from idle to full boost in 1st or 2nd gear.
Get a tune.
Did you DIY the nozzles or just swap the full injector/nozzle ?
Cam is worthless with out increasing boost and in your case, probably hurts performance. Cam is usually only beneficial when you get a full or mild port job with larger springs and run much higher rpms.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hello everyone,
I have installed an SDI cam and 100hp injectors on my ALH and now it has a massive turbo lag just like it would have limp mode before it reaches 2250 rpms after that it just pulls. Can anybody point me to the right direction where to resolve this issue?
retarded camshaft timing will do this, I had mine a few flywheel teeth off and it would barely get out of its own way
are you certain you got the timing correct?

janjis313

TDI
A3 66kw
Fuel lag more than turbo spool time
Turbo lag is the lag time ot takes to regain boost between shifts. Spool lag is the lag it takes from idle to full boost in 1st or 2nd gear.
Get a tune.
Did you DIY the nozzles or just swap the full injector/nozzle ?
Cam is worthless with out increasing boost and in your case, probably hurts performance. Cam is usually only beneficial when you get a full or mild port job with larger springs and run much higher rpms.

Thanks for the explanation.

I did a full injector swap and I'm panning to add a PD150 intake and a tune also I'm planning to run the turbo at 1.1 bars

retarded camshaft timing will do this, I had mine a few flywheel teeth off and it would barely get out of its own way
are you certain you got the timing correct?

The only timing we did change is on the fuel pump, we maxed it out by turning it to the firewall direction

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The only timing we did change is on the fuel pump, we maxed it out by turning it to the firewall direction
from underneath?

looking at the front of the engine, it turns clockwise, so if you're wrenching from the top, you'd be turning the wrench on the pump's 22mm nut toward the core support

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Why swap IPs? Plenty of power can be made with the stock one. Pd150/130 is a great bolt on upgrade for low to mid tier builds.
Just get some good nozzles and run whatever you feel you need for a stage 2 tune. No reason to swap ips.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"The only timing we did change is on the fuel pump, we maxed it out by turning it to the firewall direction"

Yep, turned the pump the wrong way. No VCDS? No way of knowing where you are on timing
without checking it electronically, or at least checking the crank mark.