New (to me) 2011 Jetta Sportwagen mod ideas, looking for feedback

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..
Just picked her up a couple of weeks ago, got a bunch of little mod ideas and was hoping for some feedback.

1) Looking at cargo liners. I work with tools (way too many) and often will have bags, buckets, electrical materials, folding ladders, etc. in the back but would like to keep it from getting all scuffed, dinged and gooped. I’m overly aesthetics driven so it should fit as close to perfect as possible, be tough as hell and look decent.

The one I’m looking at right now is here, it’s a WeatherTech: https://www.carid.com/2011-volkswagen-jetta-cargo-liner/weathertech-cargo-liner-294448680.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Wagon.

Anyone out there have experience with this product?

2) Thinking about removing the outside chrome trim pieces, front grill and badge, and painting them black. Are they hard to remove without messing them up? What paint should I use? Also thinking I should put a protective clear coat over paint. Would plastidip be better? Some folks at VW Vortex seem to like that stuff, I haven’t had any experience with it.

3) I like the idea of the Euro glove box/cubby for the driver’s side under the light switch. From what I’ve seen some folks say it’s a PITA to install. Any feedback on whether it’s worth the time and trouble? Is it large enough to hold a couple of pairs of normal sized sunglasses? Does it fit cleanly so it looks stock? Same questions for possible under seat storage trays..

4) Would like a recommendation for a good skidplate, preferably with a drain hole. I was going to get a Dieselgeek panzer plate but they aren’t making them anymore due to increased metal tariffs..

5) Looking for a good rear bumper protector, all of the ones I’ve seen online seem to not fit very well. Would like one that’s durable and covers the whole flat surface from end to end. Ideas or links?

Tanks a mucho

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..

PhotonBoy

TDI
Crickets?..

bump, hoping for a bit more feedback..

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have seen a lot of painted chrome pealing paint. Some of the trim just snaps in (well, when it was new it did) and a few pieces use double sided tape. I haven't tried recently but you really have to etch the chrome surface so paint will stick. Alternative - some models don't have chrome and you can switch those bit in. Front and rear emblems can be found in black (for German military models).

The under seat drawer is easier to put in (from the one and only I put in). There are several plates and reinforcements behind the plastic for crash safety (which also supports the plastic). Its a bit of a project to swap everything and figure out the jigsaw puzzle.

I'm biased - most of the cars I have gotten had VW cargo liners. Gorilla Gear, then Mud Buddy, CarGo. Main benefit is the L shaped cargo blocks to keep your stuff from sliding around.

Bumper protectors - are you talking about the opening when the trunk/hatch is open and load over? OE VW fit and last couple cars had them. In fact I have a box of a dozen or so to install on lot cars right now. Short of getting the flap thingy that hangs over when you open the trunk/hatch, this is all I use.

Oh, and don't worry about hole for draining. There is a thread about sucking oil out from above. It's even an approved method by VW/Audi. Cleaner and less muss.

Jason

PhotonBoy

TDI
I have seen a lot of painted chrome pealing paint. Some of the trim just snaps in (well, when it was new it did) and a few pieces use double sided tape. I haven't tried recently but you really have to etch the chrome surface so paint will stick. Alternative - some models don't have chrome and you can switch those bit in. Front and rear emblems can be found in black (for German military models).

The under seat drawer is easier to put in (from the one and only I put in). There are several plates and reinforcements behind the plastic for crash safety (which also supports the plastic). Its a bit of a project to swap everything and figure out the jigsaw puzzle.

I'm biased - most of the cars I have gotten had VW cargo liners. Gorilla Gear, then Mud Buddy, CarGo. Main benefit is the L shaped cargo blocks to keep your stuff from sliding around.

Bumper protectors - are you talking about the opening when the trunk/hatch is open and load over? OE VW fit and last couple cars had them. In fact I have a box of a dozen or so to install on lot cars right now. Short of getting the flap thingy that hangs over when you open the trunk/hatch, this is all I use.

Oh, and don't worry about hole for draining. There is a thread about sucking oil out from above. It's even an approved method by VW/Audi. Cleaner and less muss.

Jason

Thanks, Jason, I appreciate the knowledge and response. Just got a Dieselgeek short shifter to wrangle with installing this weekend, also thinking about the short & weighted shifter knob with the "golfball" indents.

On the bumper protector I was thinking some sort of rubberized protector shaped like the top flat part of the bumper with maybe some adhesive on the back or something. Been looking around but haven't found what I'm envisioning yet.

This stuff's fun, and expensive..

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Most of the rubber bumper protectors I have seen are a flap you flip out over the bumper after you open the hatch. Most of the stick on ones I've seen are chrome or some metal look.

Jason

TommyTurbo

TDI
2014 JSW
I just got this Skid Plate installed and I like it so far. The shop I go to for oil changes puts it on a lift so I went for an option with the cutout. I would do the oil myself but no garage space/storage for tools.

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/a3007/

Edit: for my chrome trim, I'm planning on using 3M 2080 vinyl wrap in satin black. I'll try to post pics once I finish.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Just had a customer's '16 Wagon in for repairs - they masked off and painted the flat area on the bumper at the hatch. Some kind of flat black with a little texture - reminds me of black board paint.

Jason

PhotonBoy

TDI
I just got this Skid Plate installed and I like it so far. The shop I go to for oil changes puts it on a lift so I went for an option with the cutout. I would do the oil myself but no garage space/storage for tools.

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/a3007/

Edit: for my chrome trim, I'm planning on using 3M 2080 vinyl wrap in satin black. I'll try to post pics once I finish.

Thanks for the skid plate link. The photo on their main page seems a bit tone deaf considering the current national dialog..

PhotonBoy

TDI
Just had a customer's '16 Wagon in for repairs - they masked off and painted the flat area on the bumper at the hatch. Some kind of flat black with a little texture - reminds me of black board paint.

Jason

Hmm, that's giving me some ideas, thanks. Gonna see if they have a more rubber like version of that stuff. I'd like it to be kinda grippy so I can stand on the bumper if needed to access bike/cargo on the roof.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, that's giving me some ideas, thanks. Gonna see if they have a more rubber like version of that stuff. I'd like it to be kinda grippy so I can stand on the bumper if needed to access bike/cargo on the roof.
How about spray in bed liner ?

Jason