2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am sorry I might have missed it but did they say the fuel was contaminated and the HPFP failure is still covered under the extended emission warranty?

At first the service rep said he couldn’t rule out bad fuel, but in the end they said it was a bad hpfp that caused my issue. The dealer said it was a rubbery/plastic substance in my fuel, but their paperwork said it was metal shavings. I’m thinking the dealer tried to down play it to me I guess. Either way, VWoA had them replace the hpfp, fuel filter, and they cleaned my diesel tank because it was contaminated with something from the hpfp. This was all covered under warranty.

The fuel I used had nothing to do with this issue in the end.

My car was finished today for the melted sensor, but I can’t get it till Monday. I’m going to assume this will be covered under warranty since I was specifically told by the dealer this had to do with the emissions. I’ll find out Monday though.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Some Audis have two fuel tanks and a transfer pump between the two. It is possible one of them has a pickup problem or something similar. If your dealer is stonewalling you I would try a different dealer. The car should not be doing this.
Oh I never knew there were possibly two fuel tanks. But what could cause the pickup problem? The HPFP or something else?

Thanks for the answer, anyway. Glad I can always learn something new here.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Sent the 2015 A8L to an Audi dealer yesterday for diagnosis.

They're supposed to be able to tell what's wrong by now under usual circumstances but the Audi Master certified technician said they couldn't so far. The service manager said that he never saw a case like this.

Fingers crossed.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
After a week long diagnosis, the Audi master certified technician looked at a lot of things on the car and decided that both the low pressure fuel pump and the high pressure fuel pump might have gone bad. They were supposed to have replaced the pumps and fuel line and called me back yesterday but so far no updates.

I am having that bad feeling again that they can't really make it work within a month. I am not sure it's a coincidence that two of my cars had the same fuel pump problem after the emission fix, or the emission repair really messed up the HPFP or the ECU.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Vcds and 3 minutes will determine if ecm is seeing low pressure. At that point a mechanical gauge will verify if the sensor feedback is faulty.

I've done it myself in a stick built tarp to keep the rain off me.

Im sure a dealer with a million dollar building and equipment can also accomplish that.

I'd go else where.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Ok, they're continuing to replace the pumps and the fuel line. I might be able to hear something from them next Monday after they finish testing.

Not sure what to make out of this at the moment.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
They still don’t know what is wrong with my car. It’s been over 3 weeks now. The dealer just says they want the tech to keep checking “stuff.” I did finally get a loaner, but I’m honestly worried that they will never fix it 100%, and more than anything is long term reliability cost issues.

My issues started March 8, but I did not take it to the dealer till March 11th, where they’ve pretty much had it ever since.

Last edited:

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Soot and ash are two different materials to measure and for the vehicle to work with.

After X grams of soot or X miles of driving the car regens to turn all caught (calculated or measured) soot into ash.

Dpf replacement is phase 2B, not phase 2A. Check your invoice.

24g is normal trigger load, 26 or 28? you get a light telling you to get stay on the road for a 20min drive.

Ash level seems I think has been I think 1 gram for every 10k. If you're not using low ash oil it'll climb faster.

I'm at about 40k, my ash load is 16g. I adda touch of 2stroke oil to every tank fill.

, and at 75000 miles I'm stopping at a dealer to get phase 2B for new Dpf. It's in the paperwork explaining the procedure.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
I just had phase 2 done, at just over 70K miles on my 15 Jetta TDI DSG. I monitor soot load, EGT, DEF level and bounce between a few other things on a ScanGauge II.

Prior to phase 2, the soot load reading would be 5 immediately after a regen, and would go up through 23. About the time I'd assume it would click over to 24, a regen would begin, soot load would jump to 100, and my EGT would jump to over 1100. With all highway driving, a regen would begin about 250 miles after the previous regen began. DEF level was expressed as a percentage, with full being 100.

Now with phase 2, the measurement units must be different, or it's feeding different info to my SGII. I've only had one regen so far, about 300 miles after the phase 2 was completed. I immediately noticed my DEF level reading 106, so something changed there. My soot levels bounced around a lot, sometimes even dropping as I drove. When I picked up the car, the soot load reading was 13. The first regen started when soot load hit 100, again, about 300 miles after phase 2 was done. After the first regen, the soot load dropped briefly to 23, then moved to 24, and is not fluctuating like it did prior to the first regen.

I'm curious about the differences in numbers showing. Clearly things changed, and I know I'll get used to the new normal, but I just found the numbers reported by the SGII interesting.

The displayed MPG seems to be up a few MPG, although I'll wait to confirm after a few tanks. EGTs seem a little lower, and the DEF injector cycle is active more than before. The car definitely has more low RPM torque; I can largely leave it in Drive now without much manual intervention, whereas before phase 2, I was constantly forcing downshifts or holding lower gears. Shifting seems smoother, and it may be holding on to lower gears ever so slightly longer than before, maybe 100-ish RPM more before shifting. It downshifts a bit more readily too, not a bad thing in my book.

All in all, I'm very happy with the phase 2!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had phase 2 done and my values didn't change like yours. Still runs from about 4 to 23.5 as shown on vagdpf app. They happen a little over 200 miles urban driving for me.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Mine goes in tomorrow. 49,600 on the odo.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Ok the dealer did find faulty code P008700/P017100, which indicates fuel pressure problem.

They tested the fuel sample and found the fuel was not contaminated.

They found metal debris and rust in the HPFP and replaced the HPFP, all injectors/sensors, fuel filter; cleaned the entire fuel line, cleaned the fuel tank, and added new fuel.

The engine could start right away but lack of any power to go on the road.

Then they found the DPF is clogged and decided to replace it with a new one.

Not sure how much new fuel they added to the tank. If it's over 1/4 of a tank, it doesn't mean the fuel pressure problem is fixed since the problem only occurred with less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel left.

So the car has been in the dealer for 16 days continuously as of today and counting. Quite despondent now.

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Ok the dealer did find faulty code P008700/P017100, which indicates fuel pressure problem.

They tested the fuel sample and found the fuel was not contaminated.

They found metal debris and rust in the HPFP and replaced the HPFP, all injectors/sensors, fuel filter; cleaned the entire fuel line, cleaned the fuel tank, and added new fuel.

The engine could start right away but lack of any power to go on the road.

Then they found the DPF is clogged and decided to replace it with a new one.

Not sure how much new fuel they added to the tank. If it's over 1/4 of a tank, it doesn't mean the fuel pressure problem is fixed since the problem only occurred with less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel left.

So the car has been in the dealer for 16 days continuously as of today and counting. Quite despondent now.

Dealership found evidence of rust damage in the pump and didn’t blame the existing condition on prior fuel contamination? Sounds like they’re hooking you up!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Seems like his thread has become a general "*****" thread with nothing to do with the modification.
Yes...some dealerships are better at working on TDI cars than other's....some have less than zero experience, and it shows...
Unfortunately it's not related to the recall, but general incompetency of a local dealer.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Dealership found evidence of rust damage in the pump and didn’t blame the existing condition on prior fuel contamination? Sounds like they’re hooking you up!
Dealer used the VAS 6774 Fuel test kit to perform fuel test upon the request of Audi TAC, and found the fuel to be good. Dealer was authorized by Audi to replace the HPFP/DPF under the emission extended warranty.

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Seems like his thread has become a general "*****" thread with nothing to do with the modification.
Yes...some dealerships are better at working on TDI cars than other's....some have less than zero experience, and it shows...
Unfortunately it's not related to the recall, but general incompetency of a local dealer.
The dealer in CA did detect the faulty code P008700 in July/2018. They did not do anything about it and instead told me to drive on. The symptoms started to occur earlier and earlier later on, i.e. with more and more fuel left when the glow plug signal came on and the engine started to lose great power.

Currently the car is in a different dealer for repair, which is indeed local.

Last edited:

garthpro

TDI
2015 gsw tdi (2011 tdi jetta wagen prior)
notice letter about free maintenance and fuel

I have had some pushback from my dealer ono this. Where did everyone get that notice? I submitted the letter that someone attached, hope that is enough

any ideas?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If properly submitted and filed with vwoa, regarding statue of time,

Then, any dealer can check the status of the various phases of work with the Vin...

garthpro

TDI
2015 gsw tdi (2011 tdi jetta wagen prior)
Just did first long trip since Phase 2, 2015 Golf tdi automatic

Drove from Dublin, OH, to Marquette, Mi.
600 miles each way.
No discernable power or noise changes
49.5+ mpg up , 75-90 mph (Best mileage EVER in 45,000)
45ish home through rain, and wind

thanks for the free maintenance and tank fill info. I received both and a weekend rental of a Toyota Corolla, so now I know I will NEVER own one of those crap wagons!

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Hello, VW TDI nuwbie, I'm the second owner of a 2015 GSW TDI, bought it with 25K miles, has the first emission fix sticker under the hood, the car now has almost 27K miles. When and how do I get notified that I'm up for the 2nd fix? Florida car if the makes any difference.