Rattling panoramic sunroof

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Hello all....I've had this really annoying problem now for months - and we're getting nowhere fast with a resolution.
I had some sunroof work done on my 2011 JSW awhile back - you could tell the motor was really straining to take that front pane back. So the dealer replaced the "guides", and since then it's been pulling back no problem. The real issue is that the front panel has been rattling when going over minor bumps. When the roof is open..it's silent and perfect. The dealer has had this car back TWICE now - and he's kept it for 3 or 4 days, and totally taken the sunroof apart and re-tightened every screw and bolt....all to no avail.
Now he's saying something about VW head office has told him that Audi has reported a similar problem and fix - and was waiting for a tool and (he said) some new clips that they would install to silence the issue. I'm still waiting for his call, though. It's really getting annoying. Has anyone else had a rattle coming from the front panel...right near the front of the unit? Or has had something fixed?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
try recalibrating it

Mine makes noises sometimes. Try recalibrating it. take the knob and press it down for 20 seconds. It will open halfway and close. The roof will recalibrate and re-align. It works for me when I get sounds. Look it up for more info

quigleytoo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just posted about electrical problems but forgot about roof. Rattles all the time in any open position, tilt or slide.Very annoying. Also, after I wash car or rain, driver's window growls on opening. 2014 TDI Sportwagen.

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed auto (DSG) w/Sun & Nav, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Cornsilk Beige
Mine makes noises sometimes. Try recalibrating it. take the knob and press it down for 20 seconds. It will open halfway and close. The roof will recalibrate and re-align. It works for me when I get sounds. Look it up for more info
What do you mean by "press it down for 20 seconds"? Do you mean to pull the knob like you're closing it from the vent position? I had an alignment issue and the roof wouldn't close. The dealer realigned it.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
^^^^^Yes, that's correct. Just pull it down and hold it till the roof opens, then closes. That is supposed to reallign it. It did work for me when mine was squeaking badly.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
My old 2010 roof was dead quiet and this 2013 rattles worse than Borat's sisters wizards sleeves!!!! I am taking mine in and have them take care of it during the oil change.