Any problems with the panoramic sunroof?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Does the Beetle come with an option for a panoramic sunroof? You posted this question in the 2012+ Beetle forum.

Anyway, I have a Sportwagen with the pano roof and I have had no problems with it. However, some people have had issues. The most common issues seem to be clogged or broken drain lines (there are 4) which causes leaks into the car, and problems with the retractable sun screen (not the actual roof). Like anything else mechanical, it can break and it does require some regular maintenance (lubrication and seals).

Have Fun!

Don

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2009 JSW TDI has had no issues. I think the problems seem to be from clogging,which I would say is from tree junk etc getting into the drains. The mechanism itself seems fine.

vapour

TDI
TBA
Yes it does on the Canadian models. It's $1400 to add on.

Does the Beetle come with an option for a panoramic sunroof? You posted this question in the 2012+ Beetle forum.

Anyway, I have a Sportwagen with the pano roof and I have had no problems with it. However, some people have had issues. The most common issues seem to be clogged or broken drain lines (there are 4) which causes leaks into the car, and problems with the retractable sun screen (not the actual roof). Like anything else mechanical, it can break and it does require some regular maintenance (lubrication and seals).

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yes it does on the Canadian models. It's $1400 to add on.
Very interesting. Since the Beetle has considerably less roof than the sportwagen, I am guessing that the beetle's pano roof is smaller than the wagen's. Anyway, I suspect that the failure modes are pretty similar. The most important thing seems to be to keep the drain lines free of clogs.

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Last edited: