Thoughts on traveling with family in JSW with H&R Sport Springs?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Hey All,

Considering taking my JSW over our grand cherokee on a short 350 mile round trip trip this weekend. I've calculated the fuel savings which is approximately $30 so there is no real big savings there. My concern is how the car will drive. I've done this trip before I had the H&R springs installed with the same load and it was fine. The car will be packed as follows:

• Front row seats - 2 adults - 400lbs total (I'm a big guy at 6'4" 250lbs)
  • 2nd Row seats - 2 children - 50 lbs total
  • Cargo Area - 1 dog (Newfoundland) - 140lbs
  • Rooftop - Thule Atlantis 1600 with probably 100lbs of gear (suitcase, laptop, strollers, etc.)
So all in I'll be at almost 700 lbs of cargo spread evenly throughout the car. How do you think the ride will be? I'm on stock portos with stock tires, do I need to be concerned about rubbing or bottoming out? This is my first lowered car.

Thanks for your input!

Pete

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
So what's the reason you wouldn't just take the larger Grand Cherokee with all that cargo? I don't get it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I'm guessing the OP has asked the question about the JSW in an effort to het the best mpg on their trip.

I took a ton more than that to Colorado last winter (including a rooftop box and kids at 100lbs ea), but I'm not lowered. The car handled it like a champ. We averaged 32-33 mpg.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Sounds like could be a problem but then those springs should be stronger. Why not do a test drive?