Alternator Output?

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
I'm curious to know what the output of the stock alternator is for the 1999+ version of our TDI's. I had thought I read somewhere it was 120AMPs for the TDI? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I believe that TDI's without air conditioning get a 90 amp alternator, and those with get the 120 amp. Since all cars destined for North America get A/C, the 90 amp may be hard to find.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Mine has AC and it has a 90 amp. DBW once told me that heated seats caused them to put the higher output alternator on. Look at the back of the alternator. It is labeled.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I thought that was the case. Eric, I'd get you the part number but that require effort so, I'll pass. Thanks though!!

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok fortunately I was able to peek at it without removing the upper cover. Mine is a 120 amp model, says right on the end cover next to the terminal.

My exact car is a April 99 build 99.5 TDI GLS with luxury pak. No heated seats. I'm guessing VW just got cheap on some of the models.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
From what I have read/heard, the cars with glow plug heating elements in the coolant flange on the end of the head all got the 120 amp alternators. The automatics I have seen have 90 amp alternators w/o glow plug heaters.

Jim
dieselgeek.com

Originally posted by dzcad90:
I believe that TDI's without air conditioning get a 90 amp alternator, and those with get the 120 amp. Since all cars destined for North America get A/C, the 90 amp may be hard to find.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

MrCaddy

Would the difference in ratings affect the operation of the A/C?

Almost all cars over here are fitted with A/C locally using non-OEM items.

To me at least, running with and without A/C means a pretty significant performance gap. The Caddy just feels so sluggish sometimes with cooling turned on. Also, each time the compressor kicks in, all the cabin lights dim noticibly.

MrCaddy