Dealer on Vancouver Island

lineareagle

TDI
'04 Jetta Sport
I'm in Port Hardy with a CEL and , I think, a front bearing issue. Any recommendations on a dealer for service?

Courtenay?, Nanaimo?, or should I head for Van?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Too bad you're at the other end of the Island! I have a Vag-Com and could scan your CEL for you if you were closer. If you happen to make the trip south, give me a shout and we can meet up, even if it's just to chat TDI !

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I might be heading up to Port Hardy in a week or two and have a scanner, so if you still need it then we could meet up!

lineareagle

TDI
'04 Jetta Sport
Thanks for the offers.

I guess I am more concerned about the bearing noise that is loud driving straight ahead or in a curve to the left which disappears when I am in a right curve or turn.

The CEL is out now and has been for several days and the turbo seems to be running fine.

Hence the query about a dealer. I have an appt. at Courtenay so will see how they are and report back. Fingers crossed.

lineareagle

TDI
'04 Jetta Sport
Well, it was the front right bearing that was bad and the code was an over boost which the service tech seems to think is caused by sticking vanes although it occurred on a steep climb at high altitude and ambient temps near 30 C with an overloaded car so I am puzzling that out.

They seem to think a turbo replacement is in the works but I should be fine for the return home and mileage may suffer.

Had the bearing changed, did the oil chg. and had a wiring issue fixed which required a new plug for the backup lights near the tranny.

11 am to 3:30 pm labour.

So am out a significant amount of $$$.

Although I think that Sunwest Auto in Courtenay did a good job and were very professional and communicated well.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
They have a pretty good reputation as far as dealers go, especially when compared to the Nanaimo dealership (heard some real horror stories about them!!).

The main thing is the car is now safe to drive again and won't leave you and your family stranded, or worse! And as far as replacing the turbo, check out the many trusted vendors on here for prices on an upgrade like the 1749 VB! I swapped that turbo into my '03 Wagon when the stock turbo blew after it ingested some plastic shards following a collision with a herd of deer. It cost the same as what the dealership quoted ICBC for the stock turbo!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have the VNT-15 that I pulled out of my 2002 Golf when I upgraded to a VNT-17, and I live in Courtenay. I took it all apart and cleaned it out and now it's just sitting in my garage.
Drop me a pm if you're interested in it; I'm away for the next week or so, but could probably meet up the last week in August if you're looking for something a lot cheaper than dealer pricing.
(And oh yeah - Sunwest is actually quite decent as far as dealers go; Jesse in parts, especially, is very knowledgeable and helpful.)