Triad NC dealerships

tdismurf

TDI
14 PASSAT SEL TDI (Feb 2017 Buyback)
I'm really interested in the 06 Jetta TDI. I live in the triad region of NC. Any recommendations/opinions on dealerships in this area. FlowVW in GSO or WSalem? Maxwell in Burlington? How about Leith in Cary? Have learned quite a bit about the Jetta TDI already from this forum thanks to all the great members.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
tdismurf said:
I'm really interested in the 06 Jetta TDI. I live in the triad region of NC. Any recommendations/opinions on dealerships in this area. FlowVW in GSO or WSalem? Maxwell in Burlington? How about Leith in Cary? Have learned quite a bit about the Jetta TDI already from this forum thanks to all the great members.
First of all, congratulations on your good taste. I have heard good things about Flow in W_S having a semi-knowledgeable service department when it comes to TDI's, which is better than most stealerships. I haven't heard anything about Maxwell. The only thing I know about Leith is from talking with them on the phone while searching for the Passat. I didn't buy from them then and they were far from earning my business when I last talked to them.

When it comes to sales, I don't care where you live you should contact Chris Farnham at Langhorne VW in PA. It will be well worth the long distance charges, or if you are cheap like me you can email him.
cfarnham@vwoflanghorne.com

tdismurf

TDI
engineerorange said:
First of all, congratulations on your good taste. I have heard good things about Flow in W_S having a semi-knowledgeable service department when it comes to TDI's, which is better than most stealerships. I haven't heard anything about Maxwell. The only thing I know about Leith is from talking with them on the phone while searching for the Passat. I didn't buy from them then and they were far from earning my business when I last talked to them.

When it comes to sales, I don't care where you live you should contact Chris Farnham at Langhorne VW in PA. It will be well worth the long distance charges, or if you are cheap like me you can email him.
cfarnham@vwoflanghorne.com
Thanks engineerorange. I'll look Chris up after I get a chance to test drive the TDI.

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Maxwell in Burlington

I bought my car from Maxwell about 5 years ago. It is not a big dealership and they've always treated me well when I went in for service.

I would buy from them again. Hope this helps.

tdismurf

TDI
TDI_NC said:
I bought my car from Maxwell about 5 years ago. It is not a big dealership and they've always treated me well when I went in for service.

I would buy from them again. Hope this helps.
Thanks TDI_NC. I heard that Chris in PA wouldn't have automatics until late summer so I'm back to looking around the triad.

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Flow pricing

Also, Flow did not want to come down on price or match anybody's price. I found that to be extremely strange. Maybe they've changed since. It was basically a waste of time on my part to go to Flow.

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
I had the opposite experience with FLow - bought a car on the lot (didn't have them order).

Had to talk them out of the fabric protector crap and the dealer installed anti-theft and the 6 cd changer....

brought money in hand. Made an offer 3% over invoice. Was ready to walk out the door (hey - I wanted a car - did not need that particular one).

done.

$19300 out the door - tax tags, etc. 2001 golf gls, luxury package, alloys, etc. (the other on the lot had the monsoon, and was silver - too many silver golfs.... I wanted white! "follow the white rabbit baby!")

Bottom Line: I think your experience at a dealer is highly dependant on who you get as a sales person. I may have been lucky. My experience around that same time was very different.

Just interesting to note and to keep in mind. It's good to ask for recommendations!

I don't have any experience with the dealers here in RTP - other than for ordering parts. If I were buying one today, I think chris @ langhorne would get my business based on what people are saying.

Evolution

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, Platinum Gray
I dealt with Jack at Leith in Cary, very good service. I can honestly say that Jack is the best salesman I've ever dealt with! They have one TDI on the lot as of now, and are getting a shipment in this week of alot of package 1's.
If you call, just tell him Will suggested him.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Leith is okay but if you've got a trade, they'll low ball you. Then they'll tell you to take it to carmax (I'm not going to do your work for you!) to get them to buy it. On the TDIs they're not going to negotiate. Southern States VW in Durham, though they're as sleazy as everyone else, at least will give a "discount" to Duke employees. I'm sure you could work it to apply to you as well. They quoted me 2% over invoice, which seemed very reasonable. So a pkg. 1 TDi (5spd) was a hair over $23k. If I hadn't found a nearly new golf at carmax (because they also told me to take my trade to carmax), I would have gone with them.

Evolution

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, Platinum Gray
torifile said:
Leith is okay but if you've got a trade, they'll low ball you. Then they'll tell you to take it to carmax (I'm not going to do your work for you!) to get them to buy it. On the TDIs they're not going to negotiate. Southern States VW in Durham, though they're as sleazy as everyone else, at least will give a "discount" to Duke employees. I'm sure you could work it to apply to you as well. They quoted me 2% over invoice, which seemed very reasonable. So a pkg. 1 TDi (5spd) was a hair over $23k. If I hadn't found a nearly new golf at carmax (because they also told me to take my trade to carmax), I would have gone with them.
If you use a certain amount of profanity with the sales manager when he comes with the lowball, while in the showroom with customers, and at a certian volume they will give you what you want for your car. And yes, this is an actual description of what happened to me. ;)

Last edited:

tdismurf

TDI
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found a black/beige 06 Jetta TDI auto at Flow in Greensboro. They were pretty nice about the whole thing but no discounts. Went once to get a test drive and they sold their last TDI before I got there. Set up another appt when they got a couple more in and once again they sold out - but this time, they let me drive one around the block. Took one from the next shipment. I'm pretty pleased with everything besides the price. But I did want one to take place of my gas guzzling T-reg. It's a fun car to drive. Look forward to meeting some of you at a GTG soon.

dfera

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yea, I bought My 06 TDI Jetta from Chris at Flow in G-boro, they were your typical dealer, you have to go in there knowing your stuff, in the end I got my financing from NFCU, but they were cool let me use a pc to show them how their calculations were not adding up. With that and still worked like hell to get something close to what I was getting from NFCU.