www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 1st, 2020, 01:22   #1
DieterLange

Fuel Economy: 5.0L/100km
Default Wet carpets: heater core leaking?

I have discovered that my passanger carpets are soked (right hand drive no sunroof) I took at the carpet and the insulation and underlay was soked. So after spending about an hour with a hairdryer drying the insulation, underlay and carpets I did some research on what could lead to my carpets becoming wet and I have so far eliminated the following:

- A/C drain hose clogged/broken
-Scuttle and windscreen drains
-Fresh air inlet letting in water

I started thinking that my heater core might be leaking or the hoses leading to it might be leaking. This is supported by the fact that I have a unsolved coolant leak. But the carpets dont smell like coolant but there is no standing water to see if its coolant or not as all if it got absorbed by the insulation and underlay.

So what are some ways to check if it is the heating core. And if it is can I just bypass the coolant pipes from entering into the cabin through the firewall and into the heating core becuase I have never had the need for heating considering I live in Australia.
DieterLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 19:55   #2
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

How about your coolant level going low?

Or try and get a bit together and see if it has color, or old school taste(not recomended).

You could bypass the heater core with a loop in the hoses, and even pressure test the coolant system.

Hope this helps.
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 04:54   #3
DieterLange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
How about your coolant level going low?

Or try and get a bit together and see if it has color, or old school taste(not recomended).

You could bypass the heater core with a loop in the hoses, and even pressure test the coolant system.

Hope this helps.
My coolant level does go down, I have to top it up about every week (normally to midway between the 2 lines). From what I can see when I squeeze the insulation the water seems to be clear. I'll probably just get the carpet completely dry and go for a drive with the heater cranked all the way on and see if the carpets get wet again. Or better yet get some UV coolant dye incase its a very small leak
Old August 2nd, 2020, 08:47   #4
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

If that was coolant in your carpet, you would be smelling it.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 16:02   #5
DieterLange

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
If that was coolant in your carpet, you would be smelling it.
Just smells damp and a little bit of mold. When I point a hairdryer at the carpet it smells like im drying out a wet shoe with a haridryer

Last edited by DieterLange; August 2nd, 2020 at 16:04.
Old August 4th, 2020, 08:49   #6
vwappathy

Fuel Economy: Passat and Jetta both in the upper 40s

I agree with turbodieseldyke. Unless you were running straight water in your cooling system, you definitely would smell anti-freeze inside the car. Take the cap off the coolant reservoir and compare the smell. You might want to borrow someone with a good nose, haha.

To find your unsolved coolant leak, I would use a cooling system pressure tester. Pull your carpets back first just in case it is a heater core.
vwappathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2020, 15:57   #7
Problypropylene

It's not the heater core. We had a small leak in one of ours and you will smell it before it gets bad enough to soak carpet (ours was contained inside the hvac system, no wet carpet, very strong smell and light residue on the windshield from the defrost vents.)

Do you have a sunroof? the tubes running in the A-pillar shrink with age and can come disconnected which will leak water into the floorboards.

I've had various door leaks in my mk4 cars. I think the seals just shrink a bit with over 200k miles and nearly 20 years old. You can fix the leaks by adjusting the door alignment inwards with the hinges and latch. The doors have drain holes at the bottom that get clogged with dirt and wax and will then leak into the floorboards if they fill up. You'll have to remove the door panels and window regulators to clean that up.

I would take the carpet and under layment out (it's actually not that hard if you are mechanically inclined) very easy to clean with soap and dry once it's out of the car. If it smells like mildew/mold vinegar and baking soda works well.

While the carpet is out you'll be able to see where the leaks are coming from. Have someone spray a hose around the doors, windsheild, sunroof, etc until you see water coming in, then track it down.

Kind of a PITA, but I hate having a soggy nasty smelling interior. If you're going to keep the car it's worth the trouble to have it dry and clean inside.

Last edited by Problypropylene; August 4th, 2020 at 18:21.
Problypropylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2020, 19:13   #8
DieterLange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problypropylene View Post
It's not the heater core. We had a small leak in one of ours and you will smell it before it gets bad enough to soak carpet (ours was contained inside the hvac system, no wet carpet, very strong smell and light residue on the windshield from the defrost vents.)

Do you have a sunroof? the tubes running in the A-pillar shrink with age and can come disconnected which will leak water into the floorboards.

I've had various door leaks in my mk4 cars. I think the seals just shrink a bit with over 200k miles and nearly 20 years old. You can fix the leaks by adjusting the door alignment inwards with the hinges and latch. The doors have drain holes at the bottom that get clogged with dirt and wax and will then leak into the floorboards if they fill up. You'll have to remove the door panels and window regulators to clean that up.

I would take the carpet and under layment out (it's actually not that hard if you are mechanically inclined) very easy to clean with soap and dry once it's out of the car. If it smells like mildew/mold vinegar and baking soda works well.

While the carpet is out you'll be able to see where the leaks are coming from. Have someone spray a hose around the doors, windsheild, sunroof, etc until you see water coming in, then track it down.

Kind of a PITA, but I hate having a soggy nasty smelling interior. If you're going to keep the car it's worth the trouble to have it dry and clean inside.
Mk5 with no sunroof and right hand drive, I have checked the door drain holes and there not clogged. Luckly after drying the carpet, underlay and insulation they no longer have a damp/moldy smell. Probaly get someone to point a hose at the car with the carpets out and see were the water is getting in. For the coolant leak has anyone used a UV dye with a UV flashlight before to see were the water is leaking?