Passat 4Motion TDI?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've seen audi TDIs with quattro badges, they're basically... wait, no they aren't any more, passats are transverse now...
they're CR era ones though
if you mean the PD era passats, all fwd

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
No they didn't. You can make one though. Easiest way is to get a 4mo chassis, a donor tdi, then get the correct trans from Ryanp. You'll also need to get the ecm tuned for a manual. Almost did said project once. Other things came up and sold the car and bhw.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Hmm Sounds very interesting. Seem's like though the EMC would be a difficult one though. New tune for the tany and tdi.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I remember right, the tune is for the abs/esp to function correctly. You'd need to do the tune for a 2 wheel manual swap ad well. Pretty sure they didn't sell manual passat tdis here as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The B5s if you wanted the diesel were all FWD and automatic.

I have one of those, and I also have a 4mo AWM (1.8t) automatic B5.

I actually looked into a BHW swap into my 4mo, but it was going to take a bit more work because of the automatic, as I could find literally nobody to help make the lower geared (but still working flawlessly) gas 4mo automatic work with the TDI engine. And in order to do a manual swap, which I'd rather have anyway, I'd have to also change the REAR differential, as those are different ratios. Can't use Audi A4 donor bits, because even though the B5 Passat rolls on the same platform, the 4mo B5's rear suspension and axle/diff is all lifted from the larger Audi A6 for some reason. And there are exactly zero manual quattro C5 A6s here, LOL.

Fortunately, my trusty 1.8t soldiers on at nearly a quarter million miles... and now with Rocketchip it is *almost* as powerful as the TDI, but cannot hold a candle to it for fuel economy.

The closest thing we ever got here would be the Audi Q5 TDI, which is a jacked up sawed off Audi A4 Avant, but these are V6s. And of course we got the larger Audi A6, A7, and even the big A8L with the V6 TDI. Those are all quattro.

Last edited:

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like it might be cheaper just to buy a euro and send it over..

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
And there are exactly zero manual quattro C3 A6s here, LOL.
wouldn't it be a C5 chassis?

I could swear I've seen 4wd/manual V8 ones, and one would think that the v8's gearing would be gruntier than the v6 and therefore better for the TDI

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wouldn't it be a C5 chassis?
I could swear I've seen 4wd/manual V8 ones, and one would think that the v8's gearing would be gruntier than the v6 and therefore better for the TDI
I'm like 99% sure all w8 B5.5 passats came with 4mo. Least every one in existence I've seen at the wrecker were. No idea about the axle, never looked that closely.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm like 99% sure all w8 B5.5 passats came with 4mo. Least every one in existence I've seen at the wrecker were. No idea about the axle, never looked that closely.
I've never seen a W8/manual
V8 A6 cars however are downright affordable once they need timing chains

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I've never seen a W8/manual
V8 A6 cars however are downright affordable once they need timing chains
Yes, the W8 was available as a manual in both sedan & wagon.
The Passat B5/5.5 shares the rear suspension as the Audi C5 Quattro.
The A6/S6 C5 V8’s are timing belt cars. The allroad C5 V8 uses a timing chain, like the S4/B6. Of those only the S4 was available (in the US) as a manual.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've only ever worked on one s4, guy wrapped it around a pole a week later. Real shame. If I wasn't such a die hard diesel nerd, I'd be all over those w8's. Or a w12 awd Phaeton.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was the C5 I meant, sorry (edited above).

The W8s were available here with a 6sp manual.... and most all of those have already blown up. The W8 engine was not a very good one. I guess Volkswagen wanted something special to just them, or Audi didn't want them to use the 2.7t biturbo engine. Either way, the Passats got stuck with the time bomb W8, and the Audis got the much better 2.7t (which is essentially just a destroked 2.8L V6 with two turbos). Those are pretty awesome.

W8s make great donor cars for TDI swaps, though. They came with everything the GLX got and then some. Lots of little bits that were ONLY on the W8s aside from the engine. $45k was a lot to ask for a Passat, though, when the base price was around $22k at the time. But I guess they figured when you had the Phaeton setting out on the showroom floor that started at $80k and went up over $100k that maybe they'd be able to sell some W8 Passats. They were wrong. Nobody was lining up to buy them (or the Phaeton, for that matter), and I'd guess that many of the people that DID buy them were just customers stolen from the Audi line, so it really was a net loss in the end.

Good news is, the 4.2L V8 Phaeton, the belt engine, is actually a pretty good one. And you can pick those cars up CHEAP. So if you really want one.... parts are nuts expensive, though. And I really think the Audi A8L, which shares much of its mechanicals, is a better car. It has an all aluminum body, and a few seemingly better feeling things to it. It is slightly bigger, too. Size wise, the Phaeton seems to feel like it lands right between the A6 and the A8L.

Last edited:

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
There is someone on Craigslist near me who is selling a TDI Beetle and in the ad he says his daily is B4 Passat Wagon AWD TDI. I emailed him about it and invited him to come on the forums and share about his car.