Readiness

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Can anyone provide some information on how to reset the readiness monitors on a 2015 Audi Q7 CNRB 3.0 TDI?

All but one is completed (the last one or bit 7 of byte 4).

I have not been able to find any information that specifically applies to the 2015 model. I have technical bulletin 01 15 18 dated Jul 20 2015. Available here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10123033-9999.pdf

However this information does not seem to be correct for model years 2014 or 2015 based on the years indicated in the bulletin. Also, the MVBs given in the bulletin do not correspond to any measuring block available in VCDS.

Is there a bulletin for the newer models? I have gone through the almost impossible driving cycle in the 09-13 CNRB bulletin multiple times, with at least one forced regen while driving, and have managed to clear all but the last one. I have also performed the EGR test and the Automatic test sequence in Basic settings.

Thanks for any help

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I cant speak for your specific readiness monitor. But I can say in my q5 it takes between 450 - 550 miles of driving to get all of the monitors to clear. Nothing else works except varied many different drives.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
So even after two weeks and 550 miles, the catalyst monitor is still not set. I've driven it 13 different trips of varied driving to include city and highway with at least one trip over 100 miles. Two other trips were between 50 and 100. Here's the readiness info if it helps:

From OBD-II readiness

Sunday,28,June,2020,21:43:23:41425
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.4.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20200331 DS317.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: License Plate:
Mileage: 67995 Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mode 01 - PID 01 : Readiness -- Address 7E8

Number of DTCs stored: 0 -- MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Catalyst monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Heated catalyst monitoring: Passed
Evaporative system monitoring: Not installed.
Secondary air system monitoring: Passed
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring: Passed
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed

From Module 01-Engine Readiness

Sunday,28,June,2020,21:44:31:41425
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.4.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20200331 DS317.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: License Plate:
Mileage: 67995 Repair Order:

Readiness Status: 00000000 00001111 11101011 00000001
MIL Status: MIL OFF
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed
Number of EOBD-related DTC(s): 0

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Post-fix TDIs can take a ridiculous long time to set readiness. I had one that took about 1700 miles. It sucks.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
This may sound a little ridiculous.... but I make it a point to make atleast 1 or 2 beat runs when I am trying to get the monitors to clear. IE - Get that thing HOTTTTTTT!!! heh.... There is no science behind this. But i figured it couldn't hurt.

But I mean once its' warmed up, some nice WOT pulls onto a highway ramp, run it for 25 minutes straight @highway speed. Run a few more WOT, and then 25 minutes straight @ Highway speed. Also it needs a certain amount of cold starts. I do atleast 5 - 6 of those trips in my personal readiness cycle. Ontop of normal traffic, and etc... I know pre- AEM-C fix to my Q5 the stupid monitor was on for 2100 miles and wouldn't clear. After the AEM-C fix, its around 450 - 550 miles now no problem.... maybe all those fixes did something...

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
I cant speak for your specific readiness monitor. But I can say in my q5 it takes between 450 - 550 miles of driving to get all of the monitors to clear. Nothing else works except varied many different drives.
Has anyone tried/discussed using VCDS' guided readiness scripting function to bypass the driving? I don't know if the CNRB engine is supported, but hope so... can anyone confirm???

Why I ask:

I'm in a similar situation, but am actually having to wait to take delivery of a used 2015 Touareg TDI (CNRB engine) until the readiness will all set.

Long story short: Non-VW house, great deal, great maintance history, and I apparently got to it before they had run it through reconditioning. For the reconditining inspection, they sent it to a VW dealer, who found something that needed a part, and must have disconnected power or reset codes afterwards... so the car is ready to go, but it can't be tagged until it will pass emissions. Their only option is to drive it until it does, and I can't take it until then.

Reading this info has me alarmed... they're thinking a good 50 miles drive will do it, but if not... oh, my. My patience is wearing so thin you can see through it.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I can tell you first hand that running every available test in VCDS to include a forced Regen while driving will not reset all the readiness monitors.

There's always the possibility your experience may vary, but it seems the consensus is at least 500 miles. I'm over 600 miles 15 trips and almost 3 weeks. That even includes three attempts to drive as nearly close to the impossible driving cycle given in the link in my first post.

That link seems to be a waste of time for the '14 and '15 CNRB. No additional monitors ever cleared, and the codes/blocks don't line up.

The only thing I could find that made any difference was to force a regen while driving. That set all but the last one in a 15 minute drive. However, it's not too helpful since the catalyst monitor takes forever anyway.

Cheers!

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Updating for completeness. It took two months and over 1000 miles. I don't really know when it reset, as I got bored/frustrated with checking it after every trip. We were lucky that VA DMV extended registration expirations due to COVID.