MN Chat Thread

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
Long time member/ lurker and TDI owner. Had a 2001 TDI beetle since new have 350k on it.
Transmission just went out again and can’t justify the $3000 to rebuild it.
So in my infinite wisdom / midlife crisis I decided I was putting it in a car I liked.
After some research I settled on a 2001 A4 Avant.
Found one at auction for a steal with only 113,000 on it, V6 5spd.
I think I can handle most of it but was wondering if anyone in the area can do ECU flashes/tunes and is fimiliar with Audi VW interactions ?
I am located in Milltown, WI but Work in Arden Hills, MN.
Any tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
I’m a truck mechanic by trade and have done all the maintenance on my car ( minus automatic transmission work)
Thanks
Tony
Are 4 and 6 cyl transmissions on the audis swappable? Or at least the bellhousings? You may want to wait it out unless you are sourcing a TDI specific trans (which would be ideal of course).

Otherwise there are several of us locally that can help out with wiring and the ECU flash etc. I think there is at least one euro ve pump tdi swapped audi in the metro too.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
anybody with a vagcom down south of cities near jordan?

ive been getting the overboost limp thing happening off and on for a while.... replaced the sensor thing everyone suggests... worked fine for 2 weeks, had replaced vacuum hoses when it first started....

well finally it wont boost at all... thinking I may need to take turbo of and clean but I dont know enough about these engines.. 03 golf tdi... its like driving a forklift now... yay... I have a lift and heated shop... and beer ;)

nathanwalkington@gmail.com if you think you can help...

anplushf

TDI
2001 Beetle “Rudy” 350k mi, auto ☹ 2013 Passat Stock 147k & climbing
Are 4 and 6 cyl transmissions on the audis swappable? Or at least the bellhousings? You may want to wait it out unless you are sourcing a TDI specific trans (which would be ideal of course).
Otherwise there are several of us locally that can help out with wiring and the ECU flash etc. I think there is at least one euro ve pump tdi swapped audi in the metro too.

The v6 should have me at about 3k rpm at 70 with my tire size. Not ideal but I’m only shooting for 30 ish mpg atm. A euro tdi transmission is like $2500 so I may do that when this one blows but I will have to see.

I just put nozzles on and plan to do the tune before I pull the motor so I can make sure it is all working first. Holidays are killing my cash flow

Thanks for all the replies.

anplushf

TDI
2001 Beetle “Rudy” 350k mi, auto ☹ 2013 Passat Stock 147k & climbing
Oh and yes all the transmissions have the same bellhousing v6 or 4 cyl. At least the b5 mk4 thru b6 mk v ish era. You can bolt a 1.8 trans to a v6 or vice versa

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
FYI, St. Cloud is having a minor Diesel Price War. $2.40 for Diesel at the Holiday/Super America/Qwik Trip on Highway 10.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
FYI, St. Cloud is having a minor Diesel Price War. $2.40 for Diesel at the Holiday/Super America/Qwik Trip on Highway 10.
GasBuddy now shows prices of $2.34 and $2.35 for those stations. Still $2.69 and higher along I-94.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Interesting anomaly. So I am driving my wife's A3 as it has a starter issue that requires you to smack the starter solenoid with a hammer from time to time and it is cold so I do not want to replace it now. She is driving my car and she told me it was doggy every now and then. So I drove it today and all was good nice boost and power, but then after a stop light no boost, so I cycled the key and the boost came back. No CEL, maybe N75?

Mastertrim

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH; 2004 Golf BEW; 2011 Golf CJAA
Curious Chris - Same here. Have all apart on bench. I needed to remove turbo and clean vanes as they where a bit sticky from rust and actuator was sticking as well AND I broke hose fitting on N75 while testing, yay! Continuing, 2 of the 3 bolts (if you can call them that as they are 3mm) that hold vane in manifold housing snapped off. I got one of the bolts out by drilling it out and snapped tap off in hole, smh... Finally got van plate out but, I'm not sure what route I want to take right now. Used turbo $300. Kerma $700 something.

Chris, do some more testing before buying parts.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah another project when spring comes: parking brake cables. Locked up on me today 5 miles from home. Drove home with the back tires sliding all the way. Got home cut the cables and all is good. The car is 16 years old and this will be the second time I replace the cables.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Ah another project when spring comes: parking brake cables. Locked up on me today 5 miles from home. Drove home with the back tires sliding all the way. Got home cut the cables and all is good. The car is 16 years old and this will be the second time I replace the cables.
Apparently the upgraded versions available from VW dealerships are better than the originals and better than the cheaper aftermarket ones. Might be the last ones you ever need.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Mine have been getting that way, have to crawl under and release them by hand every time you use them. The brake actuation's real weak too, so I assume I'll be going through the calipers if I ever put cables in it. Thinking on getting one of those passthrough hydraulic handbrakes, linkage it up to the normal handbrake lever.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
I'm curious if anyone can help me out....

I have 2013 Toureg TDI and just installed the factory hitch (7P0-092-135) and wiring package (7P1-055-203). Install went fine, but the brake lights on the trailer don't work. All of the other lights function properly, but the brakes do not. I've read this is common because the trailer module ships with EU settings and needs to be reprogrammed for North America. I called the stealership this morning and they want $120 to do this 10 minute (from what I've read) job. I live in Albertville and was wondering if there was anyone in the metro or St. Cloud that could help be save a few bucks?

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
Aron, I dunno if you still post here, but I took my 2011 to Autobahn for maintenance when I lived up in Duluth. The guy that runs it was an Audi technician for about 10 years and has factory Audi training.

Mike is a great guy personally, too. I bet he still remembers my car. It was red, loud as ****, and had racing stripes.
Thank You! I'll check them out the next time I get my car serviced. I thought about trying them out the last time, but I ended up getting my "fix" and service in one trip at the dealer. It will be nice not to have to pay dealership service costs.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a good day with cars today. So I am driving my TDI and accelerating on University and there is a mechanical clunk, boost drops to zero, than fluctuates rapidly between 6 psi and 18 than the car dies. I am guessing turbo and I will be doing more diagnosis tomorrow. When the boost came back I was confused for sure.

So I get in my wife's A3 Jetta that has had exhaust rumble after going through some of the wet snow. So I am driving it and the exhaust rumble stops and the exhaust gets very loud. At a stop light I get out and the exhaust has broken off at the catalytic converter. It is up on ramps in the garage now.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Not a good day with cars today. So I am driving my TDI and accelerating on University and there is a mechanical clunk, boost drops to zero, than fluctuates rapidly between 6 psi and 18 than the car dies. I am guessing turbo and I will be doing more diagnosis tomorrow. When the boost came back I was confused for sure.

So I get in my wife's A3 Jetta that has had exhaust rumble after going through some of the wet snow. So I am driving it and the exhaust rumble stops and the exhaust gets very loud. At a stop light I get out and the exhaust has broken off at the catalytic converter. It is up on ramps in the garage now.
North or south of the cities?

Got a good mig welder, in mounds view, if you want help sticking in a new flexpipe. Actually might even have a new flex section squirrelled away.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
North or south of the cities?
Got a good mig welder, in mounds view, if you want help sticking in a new flexpipe. Actually might even have a new flex section squirrelled away.
Actually in Minneapolis: 42nd Ave N and James. It broke and the back side of the catalytic converter and it have broken there before so there was enough pipe to slide an adaptor peope patch in and with a little work with my cut off tool it fit over the exhuast pipe.

Plan for today is to anchor a 1/2 in eyebolt in my garage floor and pull my car in. (drag it off the street and pullling car goes into the garage, I winch it from there.) Then the diagnostic disassembly begins.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh, that ain't too far, drive somewhat near there when I go to discount steel. Not that I've really been there in quite a while.

Nice idea on the eyebolt
I use a dismounted tire as padding and another car to push them around. :p

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, that ain't too far, drive somewhat near there when I go to discount steel. Not that I've really been there in quite a while.

Nice idea on the eyebolt
I use a dismounted tire as padding and another car to push them around. :p
I just bought a 3000 lb pull force 12 volt winch that I will mount to the floor and then drill mounting holes in my truck.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
This popped up on my Facebook yesterday, if anyone is interested in a parts car:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/176935089756876

2000 Volkswagen Golf

290,000 Miles

2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI selling for parts. Brand new headlights, new clutch and a little under 100,000 on the tranny. (5 speed manual) Cooked the engine a few weeks ago (pretty sure oil pump went out). Still a lot of good parts on the car. 3/4 tread on current snow tires on steel wheels. Also have stock aluminum wheels but they have bald tires. Want to try to sell the car whole. (it's still on the trailer so i can transport it)
He's asking $800, located in Mankato.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Hey Chris, 486 ( I know ur close to me) and anyone else able. Ive Check the major issues: new 109 relay tonight, pump is getting fuel, Pump cut off is getting voltage but maybe low (12-8v),I need someone to help me figure out my no-start condition. Willing to compensate for help with diagnosis. I can trade for machining work, Pm me

Last edited:

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Spams, I've got a race pipe.

Side note, I just replaced the oil "cooler" seals and did a oil change. Dip stick shows oil but a pinch low. I opened oil filter cap and found it full of oil and new seals are good. Normally this oil is drained out When I open it.