Total miles driven with a PD using biodiesel?

flith

TDI
None
I was wondering who has the most miles on a PD TDI using biodiesel? What is the typical mixture you use? Any problems?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
primarily B100 to B50: <ul type="square">Jetta PD - 35k
Golf PD - 16k [/list]

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Flith,
This question was posed quite recently with multifpul pages of answers. Perhpas it might be quicker for you to search out this thread and easier for us all since we`ve already answered this question. Just a thought.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
It was no trouble at all to answer..... but this may be the thread that RC was refering to. If repete questions were never asked this message board could be closed and turned in to a library. Most everything has been discused at one time or another. Thanks for asking.
You are correct about repete inquiries maxforce and thanks for searching/posting the thread although this in not the one I referenced, which was here in the biodiesel section only a few weeks ago. I just know that when I have a question I`m anxious to get an answer and I was just trying to see that our new friend flith got his answer in a timely fashion.

B4A over 50K
B4B over 50K
F250 over 20K
300TD over 8K
Kubota over 100 hours

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
Over 12,000 B100 miles in our 2004 PD Bio-Beetle. Runs great, but I'm not a fan of the tiptronic tranny.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Hi B-B,
I drove one of those PD B-B's on Maui last summer.
Yes, the xmission is funky. While parking it sometimes
lurched or 'slipped'. Just annoying.

Thanks for providing a great bd rental experience.

Jim

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
BioDiesel - I hadn't noticed any trouble while parking.
Could you explain more the lurching/slipping experience you had with our car? You can email or PM me if you like.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
Very nice site biobeetle. You rent cars with manual transmissions? How often do you have to replace clutches?

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
B-B,
Sorry I can't recall any more detail. But when moving into the last foot of a space, the b-b didn't respond smoothly. I had the blue one. Not a problem, but I remember thinking it would be enough to put-off a non-rabid TDI'er buyer.

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
maxforce - Thanks. None of our transmissions have needed replacement, and our very first Bio-Beetle is a manual tranny, it has over 29,000 rental miles on it so far. We will probably be selling that car soon since we are going to add several 2005/2006 cars to the fleet within the next year.

BioDiesel - Now that you've jogged my memory, it's been awhile since I've driven the car, I think I know what you're talking about. When we first got that car I noticed that at very low speed the car lurches a little. VW needs to offer the regular automatic tranny for those that don't want the tiptronic. Although the vast majority of the renters of that car love it and don't even notice any hesitation or lurching. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Anyone with a tiptronic reading this experiencing similar issues?

yamsTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Platnium Gray
Anyone with a tiptronic reading this experiencing similar issues?
Yup, Ive noticed the same thing. When going very slow around 5-7 MPH the car lurches a little. After I hit around 10 MPH it goes away. It doenst do it all the time either.

Biodiesel - I have about 1k or so miles on b100, lots on b5 and about a 1-2K miles on various blends...no problems. I plan on heading back on B100 in the next week or two. Im going to be picking up 2 55g barrels as long as everything works out fine.

flith

TDI
None
What I was trying to do when I asked this question was get some updated numbers, as far as mileage vs. problems goes. I have a 2004 Jetta, and want to switch to B100. I am still hesitant to switch. I have read about everything I can find on the subject, and have come to the same conclusion that is posted in many other places on this forum: They are still to new for any judgment to be made.

VenetaTDI

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon
2004 with about 29,000 miles on it. Most of that is on B100 or a blend. I'd guess that around 18,000 has been with B100. About 5,000 on #2 diesel, and the rest somewhere in between.

I was getting stumbling on acceleration for a while but it went away after my fuel filter was replaced at about 25,000 miles.

rogerwhippet

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon B100 only!
'05 Jetta 8,000+ miles on B100 since new.
Yeah, I've got a serious problem. My exhaust makes me hungry for a quick glazed donut (or two) in the AM. So far I've gained a little weight

Tango_Kilo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, reflex silver
Yeah, I've got a serious problem. My exhaust makes me hungry for a quick glazed donut (or two) in the AM. So far I've gained a little weight
So that's why there's a slight drop in fuel economy with B100!

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
This is a problem I don't have. I have close to B90 in the tank right now (finally getting off of the winter blends), but my exhaust doesn't smell like anything food related. Soy-based BD in my case.

This is the first time I have been at a blend this high, so I guess my question is whether the food aroma is masked by the 10% petro in the tank, or whether this is just something subjective, and my nose is never going to tell me that this smells like food.

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
LOL. Mine has a slightly sweet smell of burnt vegetable oil. It doesn't smell sharply burnt though, like oil burning on the stove. I think maybe the cat takes that smell out? Or more likely that's the smell of the burning glycerine that's no longer in the oils? I smell it most when I start up on a cold morning and the initial fuel squirted through isn't fully combusted. It doesn't really smell like food per se, but it smells good to me. I enjoy it. It can't even be compared to petro diesel or gasoline exhaust fumes!

rogerwhippet

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon B100 only!
B100 exhaust is the best, but I've got one better. I took a long 400+ mile haul and ran 5% WVO and 95% B100. Man it smelled really sweet. I hit every donut shop on the trip. It was a round trip with the engine running all the time. I topped off with B100 again when home. Has anybody talked about SVO or WVO in small % blends with B100? Worked for me but I'm a little wary to make a habit of it without a complete SVO conversion.

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
Right on Roger, I bet that did smell good. I've still yet to fill up with SVO of any sort. An interesting experiment would be to put some cedar, or lavender, or olive, or any strongly scented plant oil in with the bio. Just a little bit of course. A thin oil. A couple percent. Hmm. I bet it would work. And at a low percentage would dissolve enough to not cause any problems. Heheheheh I think I'm gonna try it
Designer scented biodiesel! Its the next big thing!
LOL

WeekendWrench

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 passat variant
WHAT?!...LAVENDER OIL!...How PERPOSTEROUS!......what kind of B.S. are you trying now mark?!?!.....I can see it now. Smell of lavender coming out of the tailpipe and reducing all of the road rage from the pleasant smell. :p *bwahaha*

SoyDuke

TDI
2004 Jetta GL Honey Wheat
My 04 Jetta PD has gone about 3400 miles mostly on B20. Seemed slightly more sprited on Shell Premium on rare occassions when I went with that. Otherwise no difference noted. Runs great. Hope to up the percentage now that it's warmer here in DC.

mindbender

TDI
None yet but looking, presently have diesel Jeep Liberty. I followed a link here from Biodiesel forum.
Reading this makes me want to ask if the B100 you guys are running is preheated and if by electric heaters or tubing from the antifreeze. Manufacturers are unwilling to approve percentages above B5 out of concern for clogging of injectors and around the piston rings. Given the incredible long life of a diesel engine I can sympathise with that concern. The warmer that B50 or higher is when it hits the engine, the less likely it will burn incompletely and cause problems with clogging. Chrysler has just announced it will permit B20 in the 2007 Dodge truck with Cummins diesel engine, so maybe VW will soon follow suit and at least approve B20 under warranty. According to the reading I have been doing, the emissions standards for 2007 will be too strict to allow passenger cars with diesel in the U.S. That could mean no new VW diesels in 2007 Yikes! Perhaps that will be the push that motivates manufacturers to approve B20 and up for their passenger cars. I don't have exact figures but I suspect the diesels could pass the emissions running B20 since it is considerably cleaner. That would give the biodiesel industry a jump start.