Turbo / Cat clamp removal

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
06 Jetta BRM 1.9L

need to remove the clamp that holds the cat to the exit side of turbo. From under the vehicle i fitted an extended allen wrench 3/8 socket and it stripped the bolt for the clamp. Any ideas on getting this off so I can check for play in my turbo?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why are you "checking for play"? You can wiggle the intake side for that, if it so bad that it needs to be checked on the exhaust side, it is probably already tooefed.

I have never stripped one of those Allens, but you can use an extractor to get on the outside of them if need be, or just cut it off and get a new clamp.

What exactly are you trying to find out here? There must be some other issue that would prompt you to look into this seemingly intrusive and unnecessary check.

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
The easiest way would be as oilhammer said, just cut the bolt and replace it a new one. Also, after you have undone the clamp, the cat is attached to the block, via 2 bolts that hold it onto a bracket. If you don't undo them, you can't get the cat off.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Basically I've had black, white, and now bluish smoke occurring. Ive checked and gone over several things including replacing vacuum lines, checking the egr, ASV, cleaning both of these and the intake, etc.

From searching around I've gathered that my turbo seals may be failing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does the engine start and run OK otherwise?

Usually when turbochargers go, they go.... quickly and with a pretty extreme amount of noise, smoke, runaway, drama, etc.

Are you losing oil? Is the charge air tract full of oil?

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Runs and drives normally. Driven it over 100 miles with no issues other than smoking.

Just spent some time tracking the oil leak down as the bottom of my engine and behind on the cross member is covered. Might have an oil leak on the drivers side area coming from above, which makes sense since there is build up of old oil/sludge at valve cover/glow plug area. Glow plug furthest to drive side is black while the other 3 look normal.

I also found oil dripping from the cat where it connects to the flex pipe. No more flex pipe there since I cut it out. muffler was clogged and wouldn't allow engine to start/turn over easy due to back pressure.

Im losing oil but not much? checked before and after i drove the 100+ miles and it didn't drop more than 1/16-1/8 of an inch on the dipstick. What is the charge air tract, if thats the tubing that connects to the ASV then I've check it. so oil residue in it. Removed that section of tubing where it connects at the front of the vehicles and not enough oil to pour out. maybe some dripping. Disconnects the plastic/rubber tubing on the bottom driver side of the car as well, so oil residue, none pouring out.

Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Check the valve cover.. All of mine leaked like a sieve from the valve covers when I got them.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
possibly, but doesn't explain oil from cat.

Further update, decided to inspect a hissing noise at idle - like an air leak, since i read about an intercooler valve of sorts by the belly pan? under the engine in the the middle, above the boot on the axle is a vacuum line to a metal line. This is part of a part that has a rod going into (lays horizontal). This is where i feel the leak, but it is not coming from this part, seems to be coming from right by the pivot point for the rod that pushes the diaphragm in the part. may this is meant to leak built of pressure? not sure. ideas?