Help - BHW coolant hard pipe removal

drehenkraft

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Stonehenge Grey/Grey
Hi Club,
I’m chasing down a big coolant leak on the driver’s side of the block, flowing water on the little shelf under the thermostat as soon as I pour water in. After replacing the thermostat/housing/o-ring which was at least part of it as the o-ring was hard and cracked, it appears that there is also a leak coming from the coolant hard pipe that exits the block right near the thermostat. I found post 41 in this thread for the A4
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=132193&highlight=coolant+pipe&page=3
and it helped me get started, but now I’m at the point where the BHW engine varies from those A4 types and I’m stuck. Or more correctly, the hard pipe is stuck.
I have everything unattached from the hard pipe, the back end of it came off easily with the pull-up metal clip on the plastic connector (needs a new o-ring there, too, if someone knows that part number or size) and I removed the fuel lines and clips and a couple of bolts from the tabs that come off the hard pipe to hold it in place. I've also removed the dipstick tube for some room (and to keep from cracking it) and so now I can rotate the hard pipe but can’t seem to get it to come out of the hole in the block when pushing the pipe towards the back of the car. Before I use full force and or some kind of leverage (and possibly break something) is there a trick to getting this pipe out of the block or is there some hidden locking mechanism I can’t see somewhere?
Also can anyone confirm the o-ring part number for the block/front end of the hard pipe? My search says 06B 121 687 but not sure if that’s really for BHW.
Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never had to deal with that pipe on one, I have a BHW engine on a bench at home I will look tonight to see how it is attached.

The transverse engines have an attachment point back on the flywheel end of the engine, however that is because the pipe does a 90 degree bend to head towards the heater core connection at the firewall. The B5 obviously has no need for that, so its pipe heads straight back. But I know it does go around the oil cooler I think, it does not hug the block in the same manner.

Your double lip o-ring part number is correct.

drehenkraft

TDI
Thanks! I’ll go get the part for when I finally do get it out of there.

drehenkraft

TDI
Now that I have my hands on the new part, I think the problem might be that the old seal is so hard it’s like plastic and there’s zero flexibility left in it.