Clutch alignment tool

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Got a Sachs DMF & clutch today but it doesn't come with an alignment tool. Anyone know if a cheap plastic one is avaialable? Sachs 2290 601 032

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I can send you one. Should not take too long from Wisconsin to Indiana. PM me your address if you want to go that route.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Thanks for the offer, Frans said it's not needed, I got one from the local store anyway. I dont want to wrestle with alignment on my back and the trans on a floor jack. Looking for it to slide home first time.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't always trust a parts guy. He didn't know and just made up an answer so he could get you off of the phone.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You can just make one using an deep socket and extension and some electrical tape.

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Any alignment tool for any VW/Audi longitudinal clutch should work. The pilot bearing and spline sizes are all the same on both 5 and 6 speeds .
I love the information you get on these forums, but sometimes the info is just wrong and misleading because someone who doesn't know the makes a quick comment, that is misleading and then others who follow the advice waste a bunch of time trying to follow it.

I'm in the same boat as Allenalic. Judging by his recent posts, he is in the same spot in the project. Bought a FHN and clutch Set from Frans, the kit didn't come with flywheel bolts, alignment tool and throw out bearing. I've been to all four auto parts stores in town, ordered one off of eBay, and one off of ecstuneing, and none, NONE of them are right. The input shaft nose is too large of a diameter to work with the FHN transmission. I like the idea mentioned by IMO to just make one from a socket wrapped with tape to the right diameter, but very clutch job I've ever done, has been easy to find the alignement tool. I really curious to know which Passat this tool that I keep finding fits, but it's NOT the right one for the V6 gasser and BHw/FHN combo I'm working with.

Sheesh!

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Yup, the (2) tools I ordered were wrong... thankfully only a couple buck each. Went ahead and used 2 sockets, one large for the clutch and a small one inside it for the pilot. Trans slid into place, hopefully it will be ok. Cant keep searching for a tool, I’ll put some faith in what Frans said, he has been doing this a lot longer than I have.

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I do pay attention to the details, that's why I have spent hours looking for the correct tool. Almost all the kits but the ones from Frans come with the tool. When you search for the tool, it keeps listing the v6 2004-2005 gasser motor which I know has the same interface, as the BHW /FHN and is a longitude motor, because I have both in my garage at the moment, but the tool they sell doesn't fit either.

I ended up using a socket with tape.