VW Passat, 2004 is giving error codes

Riztam73

TDI
VW Passat
So my 2004 is going crazy with lights bells and 4 error codes. One of them is po741 Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off:0:eek:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a new torque converter. Common. Do a search, there is a TSB about it. I've probably done nearly 100 of them by now.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Typical for a failed TC to do damage to the trans? Especially if its jerking?

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Sure, many of these Passat ZF transmissions fail early. Lots of threads on it here.
Thanks for the response, bought a 05 Passat with bad torque converter after about 30k on a rebuilt converter and trans, but it sounds like once it started acting odd he parked it, 2 months ago. I think Im going to Sell the Trans and buy a manual conversion kit. I do have the paperwork for trans rebuild looks like they used OE components. .... Reasonable to think the trans is still good, he drove it about 30-40 miles after light came on. then once he felt it acting up one day parked it for good.....I don't want to give anybody a bum trans...Only the 1 code for torque, I guess I should probably have somebody w/ vag com hook up and see about trans?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The issue is that a lot of the time, some dumbass transmission shop decides to rebuild the whole unit (along with a rebuilt converter) when all the thing needed was a new converter. And once that hack job gets done, the transmission is a rolling time bomb. We see this here all too often. And of course wrong fluid, and/or never changing the fluid (ZF says every 100k km).

While I despise self shifting transmissions, both of my ZF slushboxes have been well maintained and are in good order. 190k and 220k, still kicking. While no slushbox is a "forever" transmission, I'd say these are as good as any if people would just take proper care of them and IF the need for a converter arises, a new converter gets installed properly.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
The issue is that a lot of the time, some dumbass transmission shop decides to rebuild the whole unit (along with a rebuilt converter) when all the thing needed was a new converter. And once that hack job gets done, the transmission is a rolling time bomb. We see this here all too often. And of course wrong fluid, and/or never changing the fluid (ZF says every 100k km).

While I despise self shifting transmissions, both of my ZF slushboxes have been well maintained and are in good order. 190k and 220k, still kicking. While no slushbox is a "forever" transmission, I'd say these are as good as any if people would just take proper care of them and IF the need for a converter arises, a new converter gets installed properly.

AHH gotcha, well it was done by A German Only Trans Shop, even the owners name (printed on the receipt) seems to be german, So I'm hoping/thinking its good, Im gonna just try and sell locally that way if they have any issues I can resolve easier and not spend a couple hundred in shipping alone yada yada.
Thanks Guys! Now i just need to find a good Conversion kit that wont break the bank....which I already did buying the car haha