Hello, looking for advice.

PA TDI

TDI
None
Hi, my name is Chris and I live in Eastern PA an area known as the Pocono’s. I wanted to do some research on the VW TDI powered vehicles. I graduate from college at the end of the year, and I need a good commuter vehicle. I am likely to commute to New Jersey so I can get a higher paying job, but it’s likely I will put between 120-200 miles on the car a day, which is between 29k and 48k miles a year and I need something with better fuel economy.

Right now we have a Honda Ridgeline, which is hardly a fuel efficient commuter vehicle. I am also going to help my parents pay off a Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu, so I really can't afford a brand new TDI. Plus in a few years I want to get my self a V8 Convertible Chevy Camaro (For fun :p) so I need to save some money also. Plus I really don't want to put that kind of mileage on these vehicles since alone we put between 15k and 18k miles a year on these vehicles.

I am interested in a used model, I want to spend $15,000 or less on the vehicle, and I want a 2001 Model Year or newer. I would prefer it had 60k miles or less. Also I am only interested in TDI powered cars equipped with Automatic Transmissions. I just wanted to get an idea of what would be available to me and how would I find these vehicles?

I was considering shopping on E-Bay but all the vehicles they had on the site were hundreds and even thousands of miles away so I wouldn't be able to see the vehicle until I buy it and I would have to pay for shipment. Maybe VW would have some certified pre-owned TDI models to pick out?

Now I have a few questions about these vehicles, first what is the average fuel economy of these vehicles? Is it worth getting a TDI powered vehicle? Diesel where I am cost nearly $1 more than regular 87 octane gasoline. However, I keep hearing of people getting in the mid 40's to mid 50's in TDI powered vehicles like the Jetta TDI so it might be worth it. Will these vehicles be cheap to maintain? Not only the powertrain but other things like the HVAC, Electrical, Audio, Brakes, Exhaust, Steering, Suspension, etc.

Do you find the VW vehicles comfortable? I am a big guy (6' tall) and I am going to be spending a lot of time in this vehicle. Which model years start to offer XM radio or an AUX jack? I need something to pass those long commutes and love XM Radio. Finally how long can I drive this vehicle before the maintenance gets too much? Those are all the questions I can think of now, if you guys can help me out I would be grateful. Thanks again.

Chris.

Last edited:

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
I commute around 100 miles a day and the cost per mile for this vehicle is still cheaper than my 2 other vehicles (Diesel Excursion and a Toyota Tacoma). I enjoy how the car runs, handles and I am 6' 4" and I find it comfortable and a joy to drive.
I can tell you people that have these like to hang onto them... I purchased mine with around a 100,000 miles for $5000 and its a 99 and I have no qualms about driving it for 2 or 300,000 more or even more than that.
It will take some patience and searching but you can find them. I know someone that just bought one from a dealership near Lancaster that would have fit your specs for under $15,000. I would keep checking on here and other sites but you will be able to find one eventually... just be patient.
If you are willing to keep up with the maintenance religiously it will last you a long time and treat you well... as far as cost it is cheaper to maintain than my Diesel Excursion. Check out the vendors through this site, most are very reasonably about their prices. Also keep reading this site there is a ton of knowledge on here and a lot of great people willing to help out.

PA TDI

TDI
None
4XTaco said:
I commute around 100 miles a day and the cost per mile for this vehicle is still cheaper than my 2 other vehicles (Diesel Excursion and a Toyota Tacoma). I enjoy how the car runs, handles and I am 6' 4" and I find it comfortable and a joy to drive.
I can tell you people that have these like to hang onto them... I purchased mine with around a 100,000 miles for $5000 and its a 99 and I have no qualms about driving it for 2 or 300,000 more or even more than that.
It will take some patience and searching but you can find them. I know someone that just bought one from a dealership near Lancaster that would have fit your specs for under $15,000. I would keep checking on here and other sites but you will be able to find one eventually... just be patient.
If you are willing to keep up with the maintenance religiously it will last you a long time and treat you well... as far as cost it is cheaper to maintain than my Diesel Excursion. Check out the vendors through this site, most are very reasonably about their prices. Also keep reading this site there is a ton of knowledge on here and a lot of great people willing to help out.
Thats impressive, if I can get that many miles out of the vehicle it will be money well spent. Just curious, do you take your VW to the dealership or a private mechanic for service? Would you recommend any sites that can help me find a TDI VW? I checked E-Bay again and did find some dealers that had a few TDI's which I will have to check out. I live in a town about 12 miles west of Milford so Lancaster is a good 100 miles from here.

I have a year to find the vehicle so I have plenty of time, but I won't get use of the Malibu or Fusion for commuting so I will probably buy a month or two after I start working since the Ridgeline will kill me on the fuel.

Thanks for your help I will stick around and read up. While I am asking when does VW plan on re-introducing TDI powered vehicles? If they make a TDI Rabbit for example I might be able to get a new one cheap and drive it for a very long time.

Last edited:

2005.5JEDI

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Pa Tdi

Keep looking for the TDI, you won'tbe disapointed. I have a 2005.5 Jetta (A5) and I drive 70 miles a day(Highway). I fill up every 2 weeks. I have been averaging 52-53 mpg. Even though I live in the Chicago area, which has the nations highest fuel prices, I, with the next fill up, will just have spent $600 on fuel, for the year so far.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
It will take a LOT of patience and a LOT of research on your part but you will be able to find one. I do have the following questions though? Why do you want a automatic. The VW automatics (not the new ones necessarily) do NOT last much more than 150,000 mi and then cost MUCHO $ to replace. You also lose 5-7 mpg at least. If low per mile cost is important to you (and it sounds like it is) THAT is important. You should be able to get about 50 mpg with a 5 spd and a few mods like EGR delete, better injection nozzles (PP520s) and a mild tune from Aligator. Your per mile cost, even with the higher current cost of diesel will be less than with anything fueled with gas.
Look for a 2000-2003 Golf or Jetta TDI 5 spd. If you find something really cheap there is probably something wrong with it [owner used the wrong oil, poor quality biodiesel, tried to use WVO straight without drying and filtering, didn't change oil often enough when using WVO, etc, etc.]
Above all keep reading this forum. There is LOTS of valuable info here - and some not-so-valuable. You'll have to make up your own mind.
If you can find a GTG you can get to - GO! You'll learn who to get help from and lots of other stuff.
Good luck:D

PA TDI

TDI
None
2005.5JEDI said:
Keep looking for the TDI, you won'tbe disapointed. I have a 2005.5 Jetta (A5) and I drive 70 miles a day(Highway). I fill up every 2 weeks. I have been averaging 52-53 mpg. Even though I live in the Chicago area, which has the nations highest fuel prices, I, with the next fill up, will just have spent $600 on fuel, for the year so far.
Damn now thats the kind of fuel economy I am looking for.

PA TDI

TDI
None
Fourdiesel said:
It will take a LOT of patience and a LOT of research on your part but you will be able to find one. I do have the following questions though? Why do you want a automatic. The VW automatics (not the new ones necessarily) do NOT last much more than 150,000 mi and then cost MUCHO $ to replace. You also lose 5-7 mpg at least. If low per mile cost is important to you (and it sounds like it is) THAT is important. You should be able to get about 50 mpg with a 5 spd and a few mods like EGR delete, better injection nozzles (PP520s) and a mild tune from Aligator. Your per mile cost, even with the higher current cost of diesel will be less than with anything fueled with gas.
Look for a 2000-2003 Golf or Jetta TDI 5 spd. If you find something really cheap there is probably something wrong with it [owner used the wrong oil, poor quality biodiesel, tried to use WVO straight without drying and filtering, didn't change oil often enough when using WVO, etc, etc.]
Above all keep reading this forum. There is LOTS of valuable info here - and some not-so-valuable. You'll have to make up your own mind.
If you can find a GTG you can get to - GO! You'll learn who to get help from and lots of other stuff.
Good luck:D
Its simple, I don't want to shift my own gears. If the transmission won't last past 150k miles I will get rid of it before then. If I can get from 45-55 MPG I will be happy, the previous poster has the auto and is getting that kind of MPG. You bring up a good point about a cheap TDI's, and that is why I put my price up to $15k, I don't want a lemon. Thanks for your input. I might also consider a Ford Fiesta when Ford brings them over, they look nice. I am hoping they bring the Diesel engines over also.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I live just over the border from Stroudsburg. I have a stick NB which I average 40. Most of the people I know average slightly higher than I do with the high being 45 on a 99.5 jetta. With an automatic, driving the roads I do and making the commute to NJ(there must be some good jobs in PA) I don't really see you doing any better than I do especially sitting in traffic. Now comes the fun part. My NB has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned other than the engine. Do not kid yourself, these cars require owner commitment(and sometimes it would help if the owner was committed as well)and cash outlay. If you are looking for a trouble free car look at Toyota and Honda products especially the Corolla which should get you mid 30's on the highway with an automatic.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
1) "First what is the average fuel economy of these vehicles?"
38-58MPG and everywhere in between. It depends on the driver mostly.
2) "Is it worth getting a TDI powered vehicle?"
YES!!
3) "Diesel where I am cost nearly $1 more than regular 87 octane gasoline."
You have to figure cost per mile. Cost of a Gallon divided by MPG of the particular vehicle.

Here is an example:
2006 Honda Civic: $4.19 a gallon for Regular Unleaded Gas (RUG) that gets 32MPG. Cost per mile = 13.1 cents

2003 VW Jetta TDI : $5.19 a gallon for Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel (USLD) that gets 48MPG. Cost per mile = 10.8 cents

You see, even though ULSD is a dollar more than RUG, the TDI still cost less to fuel than a economic gasser in most cases.

4) "Will these vehicles be cheap to maintain? Not only the powertrain but other things like the HVAC, Electrical, Audio, Brakes, Exhaust, Steering, Suspension, etc."
If you get parts yourself from a reputable part vendor and find somebody on these forums to fix your car, it can be extremely cheap to maintain and fix if anything goes wrong.

The only electrical problem I've had was a bad glow plug wiring harness... fixed for $90 by good people on these forums parts and labor...also bad ABS sensor...no big deal...

5) "Do you find the VW vehicles comfortable? I am a big guy (6' tall) and I am going to be spending a lot of time in this vehicle."
I am also 6' tall and I find the car VERY comfortable... Long road trips and driving over 600 miles per week, I spend lots of time in my car and I never get tired of it.

6)"Which model years start to offer XM radio or an AUX jack?"
I can't help you on this one... I run my MP3 player through the cassete deck with an adaptor. It gets the job done.

7) "Finally how long can I drive this vehicle before the maintenance gets too much?"
Oil Changes: every 10K miles with a diesel rated synthetic.
Fuel filter: every 20K miles
Air filter: every 40K miles
Full timing belt change on an 03: every 100K miles
Lifters: every 200K miles

I hope my long post has been helpful.

JOE

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I'm not the Taco guy, but I'll answer anyway. I've rarely taken my car to the dealership; too expensive and I never am sure if they do it right. For the timing belt, oil bypass filter, cat fuel filter, I drove 500 miles to Boise to have Drivbiwire do them.

In my opinion, it's *way* worth it to find a "guru" to do things like timing belts.

I've always done my own oil changes, but I broke my back last year and getting under the car is too difficult, so I take it to a mechanic specializing in German cars to do all that stuff.

I have a Pela that extracts the oil from the top, but I don't consider changing the oil enough. I feel it's important to get under the car and check it out. I have a Panzer plate, it's saved my bacon a time or two, but I have a hard time getting it back on since I can't get under the car very well.

PA TDI said:
Just curious, do you take your VW to the dealership or a private mechanic for service?

PA TDI

TDI
None
hevster1 said:
I live just over the border from Stroudsburg. I have a stick NB which I average 40. Most of the people I know average slightly higher than I do with the high being 45 on a 99.5 jetta. With an automatic, driving the roads I do and making the commute to NJ(there must be some good jobs in PA) I don't really see you doing any better than I do especially sitting in traffic. Now comes the fun part. My NB has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned other than the engine. Do not kid yourself, these cars require owner commitment(and sometimes it would help if the owner was committed as well)and cash outlay. If you are looking for a trouble free car look at Toyota and Honda products especially the Corolla which should get you mid 30's on the highway with an automatic.
Jobs here in PA seem to pay much less, I think it’s mostly because people are more laid back and don't care about making money. That’s great, but I am from New York and I am out to make money, New Jersey is where its at.

I wouldn't touch a Toyota with 100' pole; they make the ugliest and most boring cars on the planet. We have owned two Honda's and the reliability is over hyped. Never any engine or transmission problems, but we have a 15 year old Accord which we spent $3k on the A/C plus added 2 1/2 cans of refrigerant to the system, still doesn't work. Worked 2-3 years then crapped out again.

It is something I am going to have to consider though; I might just wait for the Ford Fiesta. It’s cheap, and it’s supposed to get awesome fuel economy. Plus I love the looks.

Last edited:

PA TDI

TDI
None
Joe TDI said:
1) "First what is the average fuel economy of these vehicles?"
38-58MPG and everywhere in between. It depends on the driver mostly.
2) "Is it worth getting a TDI powered vehicle?"
YES!!
3) "Diesel where I am cost nearly $1 more than regular 87 octane gasoline."
You have to figure cost per mile. Cost of a Gallon divided by MPG of the particular vehicle.

Here is an example:
2006 Honda Civic: $4.19 a gallon for Regular Unleaded Gas (RUG) that gets 32MPG. Cost per mile = 13.1 cents

2003 VW Jetta TDI : $5.19 a gallon for Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel (USLD) that gets 48MPG. Cost per mile = 10.8 cents

You see, even though ULSD is a dollar more than RUG, the TDI still cost less to fuel than a economic gasser in most cases.

4) "Will these vehicles be cheap to maintain? Not only the powertrain but other things like the HVAC, Electrical, Audio, Brakes, Exhaust, Steering, Suspension, etc."
If you get parts yourself from a reputable part vendor and find somebody on these forums to fix your car, it can be extremely cheap to maintain and fix if anything goes wrong.

The only electrical problem I've had was a bad glow plug wiring harness... fixed for $90 by good people on these forums parts and labor...also bad ABS sensor...no big deal...

5) "Do you find the VW vehicles comfortable? I am a big guy (6' tall) and I am going to be spending a lot of time in this vehicle."
I am also 6' tall and I find the car VERY comfortable... Long road trips and driving over 600 miles per week, I spend lots of time in my car and I never get tired of it.

6)"Which model years start to offer XM radio or an AUX jack?"
I can't help you on this one... I run my MP3 player through the cassete deck with an adaptor. It gets the job done.

7) "Finally how long can I drive this vehicle before the maintenance gets too much?"
Oil Changes: every 10K miles with a diesel rated synthetic.
Fuel filter: every 20K miles
Air filter: every 40K miles
Full timing belt change on an 03: every 100K miles
Lifters: every 200K miles

I hope my long post has been helpful.

JOE
Well Joe, as far as fuel cost the TDI's still sound reasonable. The maintenance has me a bit worried, I am going to have to think about it. I don't want a car thats going to break every 5 mins, not only for the cost of getting it repaired but the time the car will spend in the shop. This site seems very helpful so if I take the plunge I will take advantage of the help I can find here.

Its good to hear that you find the vehicles comfortable, seeing pictures of the interior the seats didn't look comfortable. Hows the sound quality with the cassette adapter? Maintenance seems fairly standard. You been very helpful Joe, thank you. :)

PA TDI

TDI
None
Joe Fisher said:
I'm not the Taco guy, but I'll answer anyway. I've rarely taken my car to the dealership; too expensive and I never am sure if they do it right. For the timing belt, oil bypass filter, cat fuel filter, I drove 500 miles to Boise to have Drivbiwire do them.

In my opinion, it's *way* worth it to find a "guru" to do things like timing belts.

I've always done my own oil changes, but I broke my back last year and getting under the car is too difficult, so I take it to a mechanic specializing in German cars to do all that stuff.

I have a Pela that extracts the oil from the top, but I don't consider changing the oil enough. I feel it's important to get under the car and check it out. I have a Panzer plate, it's saved my bacon a time or two, but I have a hard time getting it back on since I can't get under the car very well.
I wish I could work on my own cars, I have a background in tools and training to be an HVAC Technician so you can see I do have technician skills. However, no one ever taught me about maintaining cars. Basic stuff, theory on how a car works, putting on a spare, etc I know.

I have a good mechanic that fixed our Accord since its very old, maybe I should check out and see if he has a background in Diesel cars.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
PA TDI said:
Well Hows the sound quality with the cassette adapter?
Sounds perfect...crystal clear... I have the Monsoon 8 speaker cd/cassette sound system with trunk mounted amp....(this came with the sunroof package)

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
I would start to seriously crunch the numbers. With that many miles per year and the savings a manual would provide over time in reduced short term and long term costs it is a no brainer.

I doubt there are more then a few auto's getting 48MPG (Going 55-60MPH maybe)

Good Luck!

Jason

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
PA TDI said:
Its simple, I don't want to shift my own gears.

PA TDI said:
If the transmission won't last past 150k miles I will get rid of it before then.

If I can get from 45-55 MPG I will be happy, the previous poster has the auto and is getting that kind of MPG.

PA TDI

TDI
None
dieseldorf said:
Whats the point in it? Some people enjoy shifting I don't. It a waste of my energy and requires me to concentrate on something other than steering the car and avoiding bad drivers. Anyway an automatic can shift gears better than I can even do.

PA TDI

TDI
None
dabear95 said:
I would start to seriously crunch the numbers. With that many miles per year and the savings a manual would provide over time in reduced short term and long term costs it is a no brainer.

I doubt there are more then a few auto's getting 48MPG (Going 55-60MPH maybe)

Good Luck!

Jason
It might save me some money but I refuse to shift my own gears. Even if I saved hundreds of dollars a year I wouldn't do it. I don't enjoy doing it, and I will grow to hate it while in traffic.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
PA TDI said:
Anyway an automatic can shift gears better than I can even do.
Perceived savings fly right out the window when you burden the car with the automatic. I think the real numbers are likely to be in a range of 32 - 38mpg. Many are furious when they discover this for themselves. There are plenty of folks who are still waiting to break that magical 40mpg threshhold...do some more reading :)

Ohhh, and there's no reason to apologize for not being able to handle the MANual gearbox. The Pew Research Center estimates that 94% of the American public can't :p Just have reasonable expectations and don't come back crying about "poor fuel economy" and "everybody promised me I'd do at least 50mpg".

PA TDI

TDI
None
dieseldorf said:
Perceived savings fly right out the window when you burden the car with the automatic. I think the real numbers are likely to be in a range of 32 - 38mpg. Many are furious when they discover this for themselves. There are plenty of folks who are still waiting to break that magical 40mpg threshhold...do some more reading :)

Ohhh, and there's no reason to apologize for not being able to handle the MANual gearbox. The Pew Research Center estimates that 94% of the American public can't :p Just have reasonable expectations and don't come back crying about "poor fuel economy" and "everybody promised me I'd do at least 50mpg".
At least you told me fuel savings would be so low with an automatic. Oh, its not that I can't handle a manual, I just don't want to be bothered shifting my own gears. If I wanted to learn I can, just like I learned how to drive a car with no past experience. I just don't have the desire to learn.

To say 94% of Americans are incapable of "handling" an manual is ridiculous, if 94% of Americans were willing to be hassled shifting their own gears they would learn how to operate a stick. :p

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
PA TDI said:
Its simple, I don't want to shift my own gears. If the transmission won't last past 150k miles I will get rid of it before then. If I can get from 45-55 MPG I will be happy, the previous poster has the auto and is getting that kind of MPG. You bring up a good point about a cheap TDI's, and that is why I put my price up to $15k, I don't want a lemon. Thanks for your input. I might also consider a Ford Fiesta when Ford brings them over, they look nice. I am hoping they bring the Diesel engines over also.
That poster has a 2005.5 [PD] auto probably a DSG [Direct Shift Gearbox]. That vehicle will be out of the price range you specified for a number of years. Even if you find a 2000-2003 TDI with automatic, it will likely only have a few miles to go before the tranny lets go [but then you may get lucky]. With the automatic, just don't expect to get better than 40mpg, ever.
Don't count on Ford coming up with a small diesel in the US any time soon.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Darned Laptop keyboard! I had a long reply, pressed the wrong button and "poof". I couldn't get it back.

Anyway, I had a 2002 Jetta, I had it for a year then traded it in on a 2003 Jetta. The 02 was a sedan, the 03 is a wagon, I just needed the room a wagon affords.

I know wherof I speak on this next point. The 02 was an automatic and the 03 is a stick. I *really, really, really* urge you to reconsider your "I don't want to shift" stance.

I was much the same way. When I was looking for an 03 wagon, I wanted an automatic like my 02. It had been a lot of years since I had a manual, I was used to and liked the gearbox making decistions without me having to worry about it.

The salesman that sold me my 03 could sell ice cream to the Eskimos. Even when I test drove the car, I killed the engine twice. Not exactly a harbinger of success with me and a stick. I was like you, I was afraid the longer I had the car the more I would grow to dislike the manual gearbox. In fact, the opposite has happened. The more I drive the car, the more I appreciate the stick shift, I thank heavens that an automatic wasn't available when I bought my car.

It only took one or two trips to make me realize how nice the stick is. In a TDI engine, the automatic is truly a slushbox. It's not like other cars, in the TDI the turbo lag is quite noticeable in the auto, and *very* annoying and potentially dangerous. There's a short lag from the time I stepped on the pedal to when the car would go.

From what I understand the new DSG automatic is a whole different animal, if I got a new TDI I'd probably get that one.
However, it's going to be a long time before a DSG equipped car will be in your price range.

As to the size, a friend of mine is really interested in getting a TDI. He took mine for a test drive the other day, there was *more* than enough room. In fact he had to pull the seat forward a bit. There was a ton of headroom.
Now to describe this guy. He's a semi-professional boxer, probably 6'4" and 200-250 or so.

I had better send this before I press the wrong button again.

Oh, did I mention how much more I like the stick than the automatic? Even after driving the auto for a year, close to 100,000 miles I *never* did get used to that turbo lag.

EDIT: My killing it twice on the test drive notwithstanding, a TDI manual is way easier to drive than any other manual I've ever driven.

Last edited:

2005.5JEDI

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Don't bet on it

PA TDI said:
Whats the point in it? Some people enjoy shifting I don't. It a waste of my energy and requires me to concentrate on something other than steering the car and avoiding bad drivers. Anyway an automatic can shift gears better than I can even do.
:eek:

"A waste of energy and requires me to concentrate on something other that driving"?

You have to be kidding me?

1. You have more control over your vehicle with manual that with an automatic (You decide when to shift and when not to, not some computer that doesn't know the type of road or traffic your in) You actually become more in tune with your vehicle.

2. You want your fuel mileage? Get a manual.

3. A waste of energy. Oh yes, that small movment of my left foot and my right hand and wrist just completely wipes me out.:p

4. I take it you have never driven a manual car before, you should try it and find out for yourself. Sounds to me like you have been listening to the wrong people.

PA TDI

TDI
None
2005.5JEDI said:
:eek:

"A waste of energy and requires me to concentrate on something other that driving"?

You have to be kidding me?

1. You have more control over your vehicle with manual that with an automatic (You decide when to shift and when not to, not some computer that doesn't know the type of road or traffic your in) You actually become more in tune with your vehicle.

2. You want your fuel mileage? Get a manual.

3. A waste of energy. Oh yes, that small movment of my left foot and my right hand and wrist just completely wipes me out.:p

4. I take it you have never driven a manual car before, you should try it and find out for yourself. Sounds to me like you have been listening to the wrong people.
Thats my opinion, if you don't like it's too bad. The one thing I don't like about the internet is people don't respect your opinion, its always that persons way or go to hell.

Want mileage? I got an old Accord that gets into the low 30's with the 4 banger, its equipped with an automatic. A modern car of similar size can get 35 MPG, yes its not 45 MPG but compared to what I am driving now thats still significant. I am willing to put up with a weaker and smaller car for a commuter, but I don't want to be bothered shifting.

A waste of energy? Yes, I have to operate a clutch and constantly shift gears. With the automatic I put my foot on the brake, put it in gear, and hit the gas. So I only have to bother with the transmission when I leave my garage and once again to put it in park when I get to my destination. I don't have to think about it, I don't have to operate it, I just have to use my foot to control the gas and brake, and steer the car. Plus operating a manual is a lot of work in traffic, and if you don't know what your doing you can destroy the clutch.

So yes I never driven a car with a manual, but I know whats involved and I can tell from that I won't enjoy it. What do you mean more control? If I want to go faster I hit the gas, if I want to go slower I hit the brake. I enjoy driving when the traffic isn't bad, just cruising along. So I don't need a manual to enjoy driving, and I am not cash strapped to the point where every little MPG savings is going to break me.

I need something more efficient to go to work in, but if it requires using a manual I will just bite the bullet and accept 35 MPG over 41 or 45 MPG. The Ridgeline I drive now only gets 20 MPG so I think I can handle that.

Last edited:

PA TDI

TDI
None
Fourdiesel said:
That poster has a 2005.5 [PD] auto probably a DSG [Direct Shift Gearbox]. That vehicle will be out of the price range you specified for a number of years. Even if you find a 2000-2003 TDI with automatic, it will likely only have a few miles to go before the tranny lets go [but then you may get lucky]. With the automatic, just don't expect to get better than 40mpg, ever.
Don't count on Ford coming up with a small diesel in the US any time soon.
If thats what it is I will just deal with it and get a gas powered car. Even without the Diesel the Ford Fiesta will probably get outstanding fuel economy with a gas engine and automatic. The Focus already gets 35 MPG so if the Fiesta gets anywhere between 30 and 40 MPG that will be good enough for me.

The Diesel was a good idea but its not as simple as it seems. Thanks for bring up these points.

PA TDI

TDI
None
Joe Fisher said:
Darned Laptop keyboard! I had a long reply, pressed the wrong button and "poof". I couldn't get it back.

Anyway, I had a 2002 Jetta, I had it for a year then traded it in on a 2003 Jetta. The 02 was a sedan, the 03 is a wagon, I just needed the room a wagon affords.

I know wherof I speak on this next point. The 02 was an automatic and the 03 is a stick. I *really, really, really* urge you to reconsider your "I don't want to shift" stance.

I was much the same way. When I was looking for an 03 wagon, I wanted an automatic like my 02. It had been a lot of years since I had a manual, I was used to and liked the gearbox making decistions without me having to worry about it.

The salesman that sold me my 03 could sell ice cream to the Eskimos. Even when I test drove the car, I killed the engine twice. Not exactly a harbinger of success with me and a stick. I was like you, I was afraid the longer I had the car the more I would grow to dislike the manual gearbox. In fact, the opposite has happened. The more I drive the car, the more I appreciate the stick shift, I thank heavens that an automatic wasn't available when I bought my car.

It only took one or two trips to make me realize how nice the stick is. In a TDI engine, the automatic is truly a slushbox. It's not like other cars, in the TDI the turbo lag is quite noticeable in the auto, and *very* annoying and potentially dangerous. There's a short lag from the time I stepped on the pedal to when the car would go.

From what I understand the new DSG automatic is a whole different animal, if I got a new TDI I'd probably get that one.
However, it's going to be a long time before a DSG equipped car will be in your price range.

As to the size, a friend of mine is really interested in getting a TDI. He took mine for a test drive the other day, there was *more* than enough room. In fact he had to pull the seat forward a bit. There was a ton of headroom.
Now to describe this guy. He's a semi-professional boxer, probably 6'4" and 200-250 or so.

I had better send this before I press the wrong button again.

Oh, did I mention how much more I like the stick than the automatic? Even after driving the auto for a year, close to 100,000 miles I *never* did get used to that turbo lag.

EDIT: My killing it twice on the test drive notwithstanding, a TDI manual is way easier to drive than any other manual I've ever driven.
You don't understand, if I decided to get the manual I will never have the option to put it into auto shifting like a DSG. When I am going to and from work I am going to be tired and shifting a manual is going to be more fatiguing on me since it requires more work and concentration than an automatic.

Many people here have a TDI for every day use and for fun. Not me, I am buying a Chevy Camaro for fun, I am buying a TDI as a fuel efficient commuter car. If the automatic can't give me better than 35-38 MPG with the auto I understand its a limitation since VW can't design a proper automatic transmission.

However, I can get a gas powered car with an automatic, that requires less maintenance, and is probably cheaper to buy, and still get the same fuel economy the TDI automatic gets.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
PA TDI said:
Jobs here in PA seem to pay much less, I think it’s mostly because people are more laid back and don't care about making money. That’s great, but I am from New York and I am out to make money, New Jersey is where its at.

I wouldn't touch a Toyota with 100' pole; they make the ugliest and most boring cars on the planet. We have owned two Honda's and the reliability is over hyped. Never any engine or transmission problems, but we have a 15 year old Accord which we spent $3k on the A/C plus added 2 1/2 cans of refrigerant to the system, still doesn't work. Worked 2-3 years then crapped out again.

It is something I am going to have to consider though; I might just wait for the Ford Fiesta. It’s cheap, and it’s supposed to get awesome fuel economy. Plus I love the looks.
Keep looking for a better paying job. My last job as a tech was in E.Stroudsburg and I made more than in NJ. Hvac pretty much pays the same anywhere. Try Allentown. No matter what if you do commute to NJ drive right pass left. We don't need any more lane cloggers.
To each his own on the Toyota's. Personally I think a Corolla is a pretty nice car. I don't care for the new Camry though.
3k on the A/c system? Boy you got taken. I could replace every part in system for less than 3k.
If you think Honda reliability is over-hyped you really need to buy a TDI (or the Ford) to see what true unreliability is. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Good luck on whatever you buy.

As far as the shifting issue goes, all of my vehicles are stick. I am also a damn good driver. Once again to each his own. I have always felt that you should still know how to drive stick before you can obtain a license. Once again to each his own.

Last edited: