05 lost oil pressure in Zuni Va (sell it ???)

VWinZuni

TDI
97 Passat
on the way to work I idled 3/8 mile down driveway to road, started to accel when low oil light comes on. Bump to neutral, (oil light goes off) hit flashers and coast into farmers driveway. check oil (SAT) , start and oil light off, so return home at idle. Light comes on when tried to accel again. Total trip maybe 1.2 miles. If oil pump shaft failed, not sure when it happened.

Car has 169000ish miles and was swaped over to geared BSM at 81K by PO. From what I've read it's likely the oil pump shaft worn. Unknown if shaft was replaced then. At low RPMs is ther still some oil pressure?

Am I toast?

Does the light only come on at higher RPM? If so more engineers should be fired at VW.

Car itself is in almost mint condition, blue with leather interior. How much would this organ doner be worth?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
believe the geared BSM has the better 100mm shaft driving the oil pump, you need to wake up oilhammer for your best diagnoses. I have seen geared BSM's fail. If thats the problem your probably looking at 3K for repairs for another BSM. If you can work on it yourself I would keep, if you have to shell out big bucks, tough decision! 12 year old car worth about 5K. I'm sure some enthusiast would be interested in it. The oil pump failed on the one I,m driving a VW tech bought it from the original owner and fixed it (BSM delete, parts only $350), he did away with the BSM all together. Good luck