Toyota Prius & 5l Mustang Salt River Canyon Arizon

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue"> Hey all. On my trip to Arizona here in March, I had the great pleasure of going down the Salt River Canyon in Arizon on Hwy 60, well up and down. </font> <font color="purple"> During that wild ride, god it was great on the curves, I held in either 2nd or 3rd gear down and climbed in mostly third on the way up. Only used the brakes when I had to. We're talking 6-8% grades for I think 8 miles down or something like that and then up again, twisting, turning, etc.
Let me say, that Prius has no poop at all, and I totally irritated the Mustang guy, who was trying to corner with me going down as well as he couldn't climb going back up. He finally passed me on the top of the mountains after we climbed out of the canyon. The Jetta was really loaded too, a little heavy on the rear and all.
Just thoughtI'd pass this on; the Prius ain't got much, and it wasn't no old grandpa like me driving it either. Maybe the Mustang guy was irritated after seeing my white beard.
</font> Posted my trip mileage on the trip forum too. Mildly happy considering the wind we hit going down and back.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Coulee;
Apparently you and the wife made it home in one piece. I hope the trip home was not as windy as the trip out here.

I have one GT Mustang 'kill' to my credit. It happened out in Wilcox, AZ going through the mountains on I-10. From 85mph going up hill, they just can't seem to generate enough oomph to do any damage to these little TDIs. As for the Prius, I wouldn't own that car if it was given to me. My rules are, it must be faster, get better mileage, and be more fun to drive than my TDI, then I will consider something different. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Per one of our earlier conversations, I have had a chance to take another forum member and his GPS for a ride. My speedometer is off 3mph at every speed between 45mph and 111mph (indicated). At 111mph I was still pulling damned hard, but road, traffic, and the better part of valor (my exit was right there), helped me decide to back off the throttle.

Those repeated trips to Mesa, AZ (had two more trips the weekend after we met), has netted 44.5mpg on the last tank, loaded with kids, gear, and fighting terrible wind and worse traffic. I consider that pretty darned good, all things considered. We have a trip to Soccoro, NM in a few weeks and I fully expect to get about 50mpg on that run. Furthermore, as it's about 365 miles each way, I probably won't need to stop for fuel that weekend. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I trust that you and yours are doing well. We are still hoping to get back to WI this summer, but my vacation time and bank roll are diminishing rapidly with my daughter being in Soccer All Stars. We were planning on almost three weeks (4-5 days of pure travel time), and to spend time in Loveland, CO, but will have to rethink those plans due to the above mentioned reasons.

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

A

azbioguy

Mike-- Sounds like you are having too much fun with your Jetta....you should go to LA with us and get your car chipped /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Couleekid -- Hope you had a good time in AZ, next time you come to Phoenix you should let us know so we can have a proper Arizona TDI Club welcome for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Hey AZBIOGUY:

I would thoroughly enjoy that to be honest. I've visited AZ three times now since 2001. Not sure when the next time occurs. The last trip here in March was to bring my inlaws home to Wisconsin. My fatherinlaw is terminal cancer, so it was a lot of work, fixing anything not functional at their home, trimming, etc. in prep for selling their house in the future. Although a highlight of our trip was meeting the <font color="red"> "infamous"</font> MaxThrust and family. I personally enjoyed his engaging style of livid communication, as much as his three girls, cute wife Donna (forgive me for that remark Mike, but she is cute) and several cold Old Styles.
Even though we won't be visiting rellies in AZ, a good reason is to reacquaint ourselves with Mike and family again when we make the trip, as well as others like yourself.
I'd like to retire to AZ or NM some day in about 12 years, but a lot can happen in that time. I appreciate the offer, look forward to putting an eyeball on ya and when we come I'll have to bring some very good and cold Wisconsin beer and oh yeah cheese; and lefse for Mike too. The guy is just nuts about this stuff.

I'll surely let you all know when I make a trip again.

Couleekid