Looking for advice on mods

Hausenstein

TDI
2015 Golf tdi
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but I'm also new to this soo :)
Okay so I am in the works of purchasing a 2015 tdi (first diesel owned). It has a 2 yr powertrain warranty and the 11yr/162k emissions warranty. Now here's where I'm not sure what I should do so maybe someone with more experience can help me out.
I wanted to remove the DPF, DEF, EGR and straight pipe it, with an intake and take it to stage 2**(at least at some point down the road). Connecticut does not do emissions testing for 2015+ cars. Is this not really a good idea considering the 11/162 warranty it comes with? I dont want to go crazy and roll coal or anything, just make it a little more peppy and breathable. It would also be my first "car" I modded (I own motorcycles) so I figured it would be a fun experience.
*Disclaimer* This is completely for "off road use" and will void warrenties/is illegal on the street. So this advice is completely based off the fact that it will Never be used on the street ;)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Okay so I am in the works of purchasing a 2015 tdi (first diesel owned). It has a 2 yr powertrain warranty and the 11yr/162k emissions warranty. Now here's where I'm not sure what I should do so maybe someone with more experience can help me out.
I wanted to remove the DPF, DEF, EGR and straight pipe it, with an intake and take it to stage 2**(at least at some point down the road). Connecticut does not do emissions testing for 2015+ cars. Is this not really a good idea considering the 11/162 warranty it comes with? I dont want to go crazy and roll coal or anything, just make it a little more peppy and breathable. It would also be my first "car" I modded (I own motorcycles) so I figured it would be a fun experience.
*Disclaimer* This is completely for "off road use" and will void warrenties/is illegal on the street. So this advice is completely based off the fact that it will Never be used on the street ;)
Is there something to gain from doing the mods? Why not get an older Mk4 with a simpler design that has most of what you want already "removed"?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
*says wont be used on the street
*mentions emissions
> take tags off, do what you want.

all that aside. leave it. you can just up the injection or a tune for a more peppy ride. Also there is not much out there for your engine. Buy a mark 4 or 3 if you can live with rust.

Hausenstein

TDI
2015 Golf tdi
Is there something to gain from doing the mods? Why not get an older Mk4 with a simpler design that has most of what you want already "removed"?
Correct me if i'm wrong but along with a HP/Torque increase, wont you get better mpg from doing all the deletes, and just overall run better? Idk i've tried to do research but i'm no mechanic.

And I only said its being used off street because there was the pinned post on tdiclub that said you cant exactly say youre doing illegal things.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Good for you for being that strict about the rules. If your state does not do emissions, and what you want to do to the car is not in violation of any road or state laws then your not doing anything illegal.

yea the delete can help with MPG a bit but in my mind your better off with another platform that has more years of tune knowledge to get what you want. You can buy whatever you want to do, if you want to tinker and play around with it then buy an older make TDI. Just my $0.02

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Good for you for being that strict about the rules. If your state does not do emissions, and what you want to do to the car is not in violation of any road or state laws then your not doing anything illegal.

yea the delete can help with MPG a bit but in my mind your better off with another platform that has more years of tune knowledge to get what you want. You can buy whatever you want to do, if you want to tinker and play around with it then buy an older make TDI. Just my $0.02
This was my real point even though i wasn't as articulate about it as Mongler.

Hausenstein

TDI
2015 Golf tdi
Oh alright. I know its a newer model which means less is out there for knowledge or parts. My decision for the 2015 was mostly due to my dad giving me a sum of money towards it because he wants me to have a newer car which was his only stipulation. I also searched around on craigslist and maybe a few other sites and never really found any mk4s or just tdis (that were remotely near me) that were below like 300,000 miles, led me to believe they were all extinct or no one sold them once they had them. I know they last for a long time but just wanted something lower miles.

Edit* And is manual which is the rarer thing. Theres so many autos out there

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you want a mk3 or 4 you need to be patient. there are some guys here who find gold nuggets, no rust and low miles for a steal. It took me 6 months to find my half decent jem in 2011. They are out there.
If you want a TDI with no issues of rust and are willing to just do a few things for now and wait, go for the 2015. I would just do a light tune and mild injection.

Hausenstein

TDI
2015 Golf tdi
Alright thanks for the advice. I wouldn't be too hasty to do any mods, was just thinking about them. I wish I would've started looking months back but given my circumstances I need to get a car soon. My current car sort of blew up, piston exploded. I'm currently riding my sport bike to work in 30 degree weather, and now snow is knocking on our door.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

Incorrect here. It is still against federal law to tamper with the emissions devices. So it is still illegal though the chance of federal authorities catching you is slim. It is possible for VW to tell if tunes and tampering have been done. With all the trouble they have been through it wouldn't surprise me that they would refuse to work on your car as well as void your warranty for any items involved or caused by them. They may even turn you in as to protect themselves from being accused of anything. Or they may do nothing at all. Your call and your warranty/money at stake. As said earlier, an older model may be what you want, if you want to mod. You could even just stick with a tune only and leave all the emissions stuff alone on the 2015.

If you are wanting a jump in fuel economy practice eco driving techniques. They are free and yield better results than anything else you can do. A tune will generally give you more power at the cost of more fuel burned. If you use the power don't expect an increase in economy. If you don't and drive right you may see a slight increase or maybe not. Some report some economy gains and others don't. Don't forget that the DSG can be programmed as well for better shifting.

Check here for some ideas:

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/audi-volkswagen/tdi/20l-cr-tdi-150hp

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/dsg

If the warranty means anything to you just leave it as is.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Incorrect here. It is still against federal law to tamper with the emissions devices. So it is still illegal though the chance of federal authorities catching you is slim.
You have a valid point and to the degree that you spell the "law" you are correct.
Now there are MANY exceptions. If there was not, there would be NO racing at all for registered vehicles. It all comes down to registration and insurance. Federal law only really applies to regulation of auto shops, insurance, and other businesses that benefit from or do work to a vehicle that is licensed to drive on public roads. This is one of the things that we have to come across when going into rally, autocross, circuit race etc...
As long as you get the right insurance "hot rod" or modified insurance, your car is cleared for whatever you want to do to it in that regard. When it comes to emissions, it’s on a state by state case. In MD any diesel engine power motor craft does not have to comply with any state or federal emissions testing or regulation as long as the car is more than 7 years old. When you drive across state lines, you are in another states territory and laws, but they will honor other states laws like this emissions stuff as long as it falls into federal guidelines. This is the most likely case where you will get into any issues. What they are looking for are things like truckers who have to travel across many states where the laws change so they must resort to federal laws as a universal guidelines and regulation.

Point is, you’re not making money by driving the car as a business and there for have a 100,000x greater chance of being audited by the IRS as a w2 employee.

You need to watch "John Stossel's Illegal Everything"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiJB8YuDBQ
It makes no difference how good of a law abiding citizen you are, I guarantee you 100% that if you search deep enough that every person on this earth is guilty of a federal crime.

When was the last time you saw a rice burner get in to trouble for having a fart can? NEVER, they get busted on things that generate revenue. It’s more profitable for someone to stay on the road and keep getting traffic violations and fines from speed traps than it is for the car to be off the road and same with taxes and what not. It’s all about money, not filling up jails with people who roll coal!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but that doesn't negate the fact you are still breaking federal law no matter what state you are in or race event you are in (if you are not using a dedicated track car) or what anyone else is doing. Like I said "Your call and your warranty/money/record at stake. I "may" have broken a number of laws myself over the years, and paid dearly for some and none for others. Just make an informed decision with the correct information.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but that doesn't negate the fact you are still breaking federal law no matter what state you are in or race event you are in (if you are not using a dedicated track car) or what anyone else is doing. Like I said "Your call and your warranty/money/record at stake. I "may" have broken a number of laws myself over the years, and paid dearly for some and none for others. Just make an informed decision with the correct information.
totally agree bro

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
With a stock 2015 I wouldn't delete any of that stuff. It's not as simple as on or off. I would however consider a tune.
Give it a few years, let others do the experimenting, with the passage of time good performance mods will float to the top.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
And what would these mods do to the warranty? I'd hate to have to do battle with VW/dealer: which is why I have older cars that I can do anything I want to and that I do the work on.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It depends on if any modding you do is related to a warranty claim. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
If you want a huge problem on your hands. The dealer can easily refuse warranty and then it is up to you to force them to do the work. Which will probably involve lawyers and/or court time. Any time that happens you lose anyway. If you value the warranty at all, leave the car stock. It will make it much harder for the dealer to refuse service. If you enjoy being in a rats nest of an issue, then motor on. You may soon have one. Not to mention it will be proven in court that you have tampered with the emissions control equipment. There will be a price to pay for that as well (assuming more than a tune is done).

Hausenstein

TDI
2015 Golf tdi
There will be a price to pay for that as well (assuming more than a tune is done).
Okay after a lot more thought with what ya'll have said, I'm probably going to leave it stock for a while. I'm not necessarily afraid of the state or cops because they are really nice where I live and I don't really do crazy things to get noticed (ie roll coal, burn outs etc). It's more so the fact that if something breaks the warranty would be nice to cover it. So at least until most of them expire I wont do anything.

But as a clear question, is a stage one simple tune against any warranties? Like the bumper to bumper or emissions warranty.

But thanks for all your advice and opinions, it's nice to get some folks that can give insight on **** I don't know much about since I'm just getting into 1) the car scene/community 2) Volkswagens :cool: 3) diesel

*edit* Also another question I had. Wouldn't like everyone's modified mk4 or whatever car you have be illegal? I was only thinking of doing things to the 2015 because in my state 2015 is exempt from all emissions testing. So there would be no way to check unless a dealer or mechanic took a look "under the hood". But for the pre 2015 cars you would have to get emissions checked every like 2 years. So would you just put back on all your emissions things? I know it varies state by state but just looking for a general answer I suppose.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mods 100% kill warranty.
I have a friend who the insurance company dropped his coverage over the phone when he asked about if autocross was covered, which it was, but when he asked they booted him. #racecar

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Technically any aftermarket tune/mods could be used to say your warranty is void for things. In practice it rarely happens. If you were to have a major issue it could come into play. Just a tune is your safest bet (other than stock) if you want something. Anything other than like parts for like parts "could" be used.

Most of the MK4's are way out of warranty or those that modified when new took their chances. Things weren't as sophisticated then and parts weren't as expensive as now. They quoted nearly $10k to replace fuel systems when the high pressure fuel pumps used, grenaded on the newer VW's.

You used to be able to cheat quite easily with the old system. Not as easy now. Just because you are exempt from emissions testing doesn't negate the fact someone will have to work on your car at some point. Just as it is for you to tamper with emissions it is also against the law for any mechanic or garage to do it. Some will refuse to work on your car when this is found as they don't want to be accused of it. They have way more to lose than you do. Others don't care at all and will do what ever you want. The 2015's stock, already come with all the tuned power others were trying for in the older cars. My 2003 Beetle only had 90hp stock IIRC. Maybe 130hp tuned. So you see the extra power that those were trying to get then is already there now. When is enough enough?

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes my ALH has 305,000 miles and just a couple of rock dings rust. Oh the passenger side door has be smacked many times in parking lots, and there was that cinder block that bounce and put gouge in my hood and then smashed my windshield.

And yes these cars came with very little emission control as IIRC it was Tier 1. Very easy to boost power on.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there was that cinder block that bounce and put gouge in my hood and then smashed my windshield..
WAIT, did you just say that your engine bounced on its mounts enough to pop the hood open while you where driving and it caused your windscreen to get smashed by the hood from becoming unlatched from the impact of the block?
ARE YOU SERIOUS? holy crap, what did you run over, an elephant? What happened to the bolts holding the engine down, did they shear off?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

.... look at it from the other side of voiding the 11-162,000

.... what would you pay for a 11-162,000

.... $4,000
.... $5,000
.... $6,000
.... $7,000
.... $8,000

:eek::rolleyes::confused::p

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
As a person who has most if not all the mods the OP is asking about, I would start when the dpf is packed and can't burn itself clean any more. A new dpf replacement cost about as much as a Malone stage II with deletes that make it a turbo back straight pipe. Of course, you will need to purchase or create that turbo back exhaust, but keep the muffler. Be careful however, I had problems with finding and installing a clutch that can handle the increased torque output while not chewing the synchro rings. Look into it on the forum, it is a real problem that is annoying to deal with, and it can get expensive going through clutches that don't have adverse effects to the vehicle.

Also annoying is beefing up my suspension and tire choices from driving next to the road since I can't drive on the road anymore.

While we are on mods, one that you can do now that won't affect your warranty is the 2micron fuel filter. These cars have issues with the fuel pump, and the fuel filtering system gives you a little more assurance against a major *** when the fuel pump goes on you prematurely. If your fuel pump does go while under warranty, just take off the fuel filter before you go back to the dealer with the car.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If you are interested in maintaining your warranty stay away from ecu mods or emissions deletes. You can upgrade your suspension (Bilstein, H&R) and brakes (EBC) to corner and brake sooner.

It takes me a second or two longer to get up to speed but once there I can maintain it. This works best for my mostly highway commute.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All tire manufacturers warranties are instantly voided if you modify the suspension past stock ride characteristics in any way. (harder bushings, lowered, wider tires than the car calls for, Etc...