VW settlement for Canada?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I don't think anybody here has the 'in' on something like this...

According to google, no answer yet from VW.

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
Will be interesting to see how it rolls out in California, and then what will happen in Canada. Also how long it will take to roll out any of the settlement options.
I am looking forward to the buy back, unfortunately I have a bit of an angry lemon outside of the Diesel Gate issues. Hoping the buy back is advantageous, but we wait and see how this all rolls out and the expected timing. If it is anything like the credit cards it will be a long time coming.

But I agree with you Fred, if I didn't have the other issues and terrible reliability, I am not sure I would want a buy back.

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Hello EVERYONE. WAKE UP.

We are in Canada. There is a reason why we pay more for our VW with less features and bells and whistle than our neighbors down south.

Our Buy Back will be a Joke compared to the US.

I read somewhere that VW TDi owners love their cars and they know it. lol So what do you think that means for us?

And its not like we will fight for equality. We are Canadians. lol

besides, I love my car too much and it probably is worth more to me than the buy out itself.

Just my $0.02

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I bought my car in the US, my loyalty package was in USD. I registered for updates today, in the US. Might be good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Wait and see for us. A new job and a move from the Gta means our car is no longer driving the distances it was designed/bought for. Under more normal circumstances, I might have sold it already. VW finance owns the car for another year.

Buy back prices I have seen quoted seem more appropriate for the older cars, but not a '14.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not sure I want a buy-back...
]
Why?

At any rate, of course if you have no major issues with your car, I would let them do the fix it and take the compensation and keep driving the car. But I have had some issues with mine, with stupid drive clean test coming up next year, MIL permanently on basically for the last little while, no matter whether I fix it, something else comes up ... I am not looking for another out of my pocket expense. So yes, I might take them up on their offer, even though I love driving the car.

Some months ago, there was an article on thestar.com interviewing some VW Canada brass member and it was stated that Canada will offer the same thing as US settlement will ... clearly reviewing the court docs, there's not a word about Canada. I am not surprised, different jurisdiction, different currencies involved etc. ....

I don't think, VW Canada cannot afford not to follow US actions, but to what degree, who the heck knows ... I am sure it will be a while, but the fact that legally VWoA is the umbrella for both companies should push things forward at steady pace.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
What doesn't really make sense is the money they set aside to settle .... according to various reports they put aside 18.2Bil to settle the whole issue worldwide which is 11mil. vehicles. Clearly the math doesn't add up somehow ... I realize that US portion of 475000 vehicles will cost them the most by far, but it still doesn't include 90000 3L engine vehicles in the US ... so 18.2 doesn't sound nearly close what it will cost them in the end.

VW Canada will really have to actually negotiate their settlement money pool with VWOA or VW Germany.

I doubt this will be settled comes fall 2017 .... which means I will have to pay to get the car passed DC. Or maybe I will tell them to give me a pass since this vehicle is pending buyback from VW Canada .... LOL

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
it's still too early to tell. when it comes time to crunch numbers...and what do I want to replace it. I expect lots of time to decide.
I hear you. For me it's easy ... by the time the settlement is done the car will be 8-9 years old. My long distance driving is really down to minimum. I need car for short distances and occasional long distance. The PHEV's of good quality (not Prius or Leaf kind) should be readily available.
We will see where we are two years from now.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I hear you. For me it's easy ... by the time the settlement is done the car will be 8-9 years old. My long distance driving is really down to minimum. I need car for short distances and occasional long distance. The PHEV's of good quality (not Prius or Leaf kind) should be readily available.
We will see where we are two years from now.
all good points to consider. plus in American dollars (my settlement) might be too attractive to turn down.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Definitely ... free 30% or so right now and probably for some time to come.

Zapkat

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline
I waffle back and forth on whether to sell it back to them or let them fix it. I've had enough stupid little niggly issues - the sunroof still isn't quite right and the windows freeze up in the winter - that I'm tempted to let them have it. On the other hand, my '13 Beetle is a BLAST to drive and is gorgeous. I truly love this car, despite the irritation of those couple of things.

I think in the end, it'll come down to where they are on a proposed fix, the amount of the buyout offer and what else I can get for that. I'm not interested in taking on another $10k in car loans to replace the thing. My husband is looking to replace his '08 A4 gasser. Maybe we'll put the buyout $$ toward a new car for him and I'll drive the A4 for a while.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
At this point I fully expect, that they will not be able to fix the 09-14 models without AdBlue bits already installed. The reason I say that is because they have been on this for a couple of years (since the first time EPA let VW know that they are suspect of their numbers ... long before it hit the mass media last year). That many engineers working on a problem would have already come up with a financially reasonable solution.

Keep in mind, the fix has to pls EPA enough and at the same time not to upset owners with new lower specs cars. The latter would open them up to another list of litigation which they are trying so desperately to avoid. EPA would love all diesels off the road, that's not exactly a secret ... so my thought is, that is what will happen in the end, the only option for 09-14 models settlement will be a buyback.

We will have to see ...

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Not sure why so many people are saying that since they no longer drive long distances, they no longer need a diesel. Where does this idea that a diesel is only good for long distances come from? Half of Europe's cars are diesel, and they don't do our kind of commuting. It is city driving mostly, as cities are so dense. Why do we in NA think our diesels would be any less capable to handle mostly city driving here? I do mostly city driving, and still get great mileage - better than most gassers - and appreciate only having to stop for fuel once every two weeks.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
If they do buy back based on the value of sept. 2015 + incentives ($$) its kind of a no brainer.

VW has to have 85% of the cars ought back or fixed y june 30 2019. which means i could still drive my car for another 2 years. which will make my car 5 years old and if i trade it in for the buyback my car has only depreciated a fixed amount.

that means i drive a car for 5 years and it only depreciated x amount so now i can jump into a new car at a great price...its almost a steal....but yes i do love my car.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
They might not let you wait until 2019 to make a decision though! You might have to get it fixed before, forfeiting your right to buy back...

I know I'll need a few months to decide, while I shop around for alternative vehicles

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not sure why so many people are saying that since they no longer drive long distances, they no longer need a diesel. Where does this idea that a diesel is only good for long distances come from? Half of Europe's cars are diesel, and they don't do our kind of commuting. It is city driving mostly, as cities are so dense. Why do we in NA think our diesels would be any less capable to handle mostly city driving here? I do mostly city driving, and still get great mileage - better than most gassers - and appreciate only having to stop for fuel once every two weeks.
I hear your point, but the reasoning is really simple at least for me.

The 09-14 and 15 I suppose as well just became too complicated because of emission regulations. Hence they are more prone to out of warranty repairs once a vehicle aged. Example, my 120K car is on second DPF (under warranty) and still should have the other aux. filter changed as I was told, My O2 sensors are lit up in way of constant MIL. I don't even bother anymore ... I will have to next year, unless Wynn finally drops the stupid Drive Clean ...

I think the problem is that these models simply don't like short city driving. Regen is kicking in a lot, I suppose my DPF will fill up faster too. The car is great if you take it regularly on hwy, instead of frequent short bursts of speed, especially when cold.

Taking full tank of fuel takes me 5 mins ... it's the least of my worry or concern.

I am not going to take the risk of "what will go wrong next, after I take my cash and their fix (if there's one) .... that's my position, your or others might wary.

If, it was made clear to me, that these vehicles really benefit from long distance driving, who knows whether I would have chosen it. Driving diesel cars in Europe, I would not have even thought of it, but that was all pre-2009 models .... it used to be simple, but not so now.

vacin

Veteran Member
TDI
01 tdi jetta auto, sold lemon 12 jetta tdi 3 pedal
Hello EVERYONE. WAKE UP.

We are in Canada. There is a reason why we pay more for our VW with less features and bells and whistle than our neighbors down south.

Our Buy Back will be a Joke compared to the US.

I read somewhere that VW TDi owners love their cars and they know it. lol So what do you think that means for us?

And its not like we will fight for equality. We are Canadians. lol

besides, I love my car too much and it probably is worth more to me than the buy out itself.

Just my $0.02
The taxbase has only the criminal code to protect them.
The farmers who are the recipients of all this taxbase money and are responsible for the rural vote have little concern of emissions.
Who is left to protect, the politicians ?
Anyone who has ever spoke to anyone in the office of vwcanada know's this is another faceless puppet.

I am happy to have sold my 2012 in 2013

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I am very interested in the 2015 A3 TDI, there are used ones sitting in some dealers (VW & non VW). My wife has even suggested maybe I buy one now and park my 2009 jetta since I am now overdue for a timing belt change. I am happy with the Jetta as it is but this buyback is too good to not take all things considered for me since i need a suspension refresher, TB change among some other spruce ups. If i did buy the A3 in advance I would not let anyone touch it. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I am very interested in the 2015 A3 TDI, there are used ones sitting in some dealers (VW & non VW). My wife has even suggested maybe I buy one now and park my 2009 jetta since I am now overdue for a timing belt change. I am happy with the Jetta as it is but this buyback is too good to not take all things considered for me since i need a suspension refresher, TB change among some other spruce ups. If i did buy the A3 in advance I would not let anyone touch it. Thoughts on this?

Holdon, so so buy a newer car because of overdue TB change? How many KM's on your 09 that requires suspension refresher?