BRM T10100 Crank Lock Tool - Measurements

e36BMW3series

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I'm getting ready to tackle my first timing belt on this car. Reviewing the tools list the only thing I really need, that can't be substituted for a drill bit or some standard rod, is the crank lock (pictured below). Long story short, I'm really looking for measurements on the tool. I'm feeling pretty confident that I can drawl this and print it on a 3d printer. That's where I need some help.

Obviously a drawling file would be ideal, but I was hoping someone could run their tool through just a normal scanner so I have a scale drawling to take measurements for. The higher resolution the better :D

If that doesn't work, I could also use the gear specs and get it drawn using that information.

So here's what's in it for you. The most helpful post with the best actual information will get a 3d useable copy of whatever my final product is (I'll even pay shipping). If multiple people contribute I may send out a few.

Thanks!

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Easier said than done. Your BRM TB crank pulley has irregular tooth spacing. The indexing tool will not fit tightly unless the pulley is in the correct position. Check out pages 6 and 7 of the PD self study guide HERE.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think it's impossible to do the job without that tool.
Flywheel has got the "zero" mark which aligns with a tooth on the gearbox.
When tensioning the belt you need to use 2 flat head screwdrivers to hold the flywheel against the gearbox.
BTW, the timing mark on the flywheel might be even more accurate than the crankshaft pulley as it is several times wider/larger diameter.

e36BMW3series

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think there may have been some confusion in my OP.

So I think parts 3359 and T0060A below can be substituted for for drill bits that are 4.5mm and 6mm respectively (If I really need to I can get standard rod). Additionally I could use the bend it at a 90 and weld on a handle if needed.

So part T10100 is a plastic part if I'm not mistaken? I believe this can be drawn up and printed on the 3d printer I have available. This is only really exposed to compression force and not a ton at that, so the printed piece should easily do the job.

That said, I need measurements of the T10100 tool or at least the gear measurments in order to drawl it.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have the BEW lock, which is very similar and it definitely isn't plastic! I don't know that I'd trust a plastic one. I thought from your original post that you'd print one and than cast something and wondered why you'd go through all that trouble.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Plastic will work well, there is no stress on the tool - basically only there for indexing the crank at TDC.

BUT, is it worth the effort - the tool is soooo cheap?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Plastic will work well, there is no stress on the tool - basically only there for indexing the crank at TDC.
It kills me that people call it a "Crank Lock". It doesn't lock anything. If you expect it to hold the crankshaft in place when you are changing a T/B, you are DIW. "Crank Indexing tool" is a more accurate description of what it does.

If you are only going to use it a few times plastic would be fine.

Last edited:

e36BMW3series

TDI
2005.5 Jetta

BUT, is it worth the effort - the tool is soooo cheap?
Not sure what effort there is, I'm not hand carving it. I could model it in Inventor in 30min, send it to the printer and have a prototype in an hour. Safe to bet I'll be off and would need to tweak and do another, but it's 3 hours of work, and 2 of those are me watching TV while the printer makes the part.

Cheap is always objective. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places tool rental from "myturbdiesel" is 40 bucks by the time you send the stuff back. . . . . What if I could make my own, have a pattern, then heck maybe even sell a few for 20-30 each. . . . . . Then it turns into a slight business venture of sorts. Unfortunately it's a very niche market on a product many people sell, but I could probably move 2-3 month if I posted it up in the classifieds. I'd make a few bucks and it would be doing a good service to the community. I guess that's where I'm justifying this initial effort. If I can't get what I need, I'll buy/rent the tool, but I'm still going to try and make it.

It kills me that people call it a "Crank Lock". It doesn't lock anything. If you expect it to hold the crankshaft in place when you are changing a T/B, you are DIW. "Crank Indexing tool" is a more accurate description of what it does.

If you are only going to use it a few times plastic would be fine.
Sorry, rookie mistake. This is my first timing belt, used to cars with chains. When I did the head gasket on my M3 timing required a cam and crank lock tool. I made the thread in the very early stages of my research and didn't see what all the tool did. Just found out that there were directions to follow, tools I'd need, and what to order.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think it's a great effort. A one or two time use tool than you don't have to make a deposit on because you would just throw it in the trash when you are done with it because it could easily cost just a mere $5 to $20? What's not to like? In Aerospace, we use 3D printing sometimes for rapid prototyping. Saves us a ton of time and money.

Once e36 has the crank tool digitized so that it prints dimensionally correct when it is printed, he will be able to make them cheap all day long by just hitting print and keeping the printer supplied with printing medium.

Additive machining (3D Printing), seriously, is the next step in manufacturing............

e36BMW3series

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think it's a great effort. A one or two time use tool than you don't have to make a deposit on because you would just throw it in the trash when you are done with it because it could easily cost just a mere $5 to $20? What's not to like? In Aerospace, we use 3D printing sometimes for rapid prototyping. Saves us a ton of time and money.

Once e36 has the crank tool digitized so that it prints dimensionally correct when it is printed, he will be able to make them cheap all day long by just hitting print and keeping the printer supplied with printing medium.

Additive machining (3D Printing), seriously, is the next step in manufacturing............
I appreciate your point of view. If we're really looking to crunch numbers it's probably around $1 for each print. I'll be renting the tool to get some dimensions if no one is able to help; but I was really hoping to skip that step/expense.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Ok, being an engineer and not too bad with engineering graphics and design, I will help you to make the tool. What do you need?

e36BMW3series

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Ok, being an engineer and not too bad with engineering graphics and design, I will help you to make the tool. What do you need?
If you can get me a CAD drawling, or any type of drawling that can be opened in inventor, autodesk, or even measurements that can be converted to a CAD drawling. From there it can be transferred into the printing program.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I'm seeing these online for like £8-10 plus postage; how much hassle is it worth? IDK how much time someone else will need to put into this to give you what you want, maybe it'd be better to have someone buy you one to reverse engineer?

SmoothVW

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 99 Beetle TDI
Not sure what effort there is, I'm not hand carving it. I could model it in Inventor in 30min, send it to the printer and have a prototype in an hour. Safe to bet I'll be off and would need to tweak and do another, but it's 3 hours of work, and 2 of those are me watching TV while the printer makes the part.

Cheap is always objective. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places tool rental from "myturbdiesel" is 40 bucks by the time you send the stuff back. . . . . What if I could make my own, have a pattern, then heck maybe even sell a few for 20-30 each. . . . . . Then it turns into a slight business venture of sorts. Unfortunately it's a very niche market on a product many people sell, but I could probably move 2-3 month if I posted it up in the classifieds. I'd make a few bucks and it would be doing a good service to the community. I guess that's where I'm justifying this initial effort. If I can't get what I need, I'll buy/rent the tool, but I'm still going to try and make it.

Sorry, rookie mistake. This is my first timing belt, used to cars with chains. When I did the head gasket on my M3 timing required a cam and crank lock tool. I made the thread in the very early stages of my research and didn't see what all the tool did. Just found out that there were directions to follow, tools I'd need, and what to order.
Exactly! Nothing wrong with trying to make a cheap, one use tool for the community. This will put those greedy merchants in their place. I just made a cam locking tool for my ALH engine and stumbled upon this thread while looking for ways to make a crank indexing tool. The tool I crafted from square steel tubing took less than one hour to make and it works like a charm, with no need to take the valve cover or the right cam bearing cap out. I think I will take a few pics and open a thread to show the next guy how to make it. It is so simple, anyone with a 4" grinder, a cut off disc and a drill can make one.

jphack58

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I came upon this as I know it might be a dead thread, How did you make out, just a item of interest question, I have over the years fab'd many a tool, thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I make my living drawing stuff in CAD. The effort it would take to draw that part would require more than an hour and I'd need one on hand to take the measurements.
Best to find on that's already done.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Bob,

I didn't know that was your skill set.

Being a 'cheapskate', I made my first cam lock. Yes, I said 'lock'. Then I bought 6mm pins, but in the end, the design of the tool, even as simple as it looks, requires some engineering thought. The pin tool is center-drilled with a cross-hole, just for the purpose if you are too dumb to remember to remove the tool (I'm talking about me, right now...) and you hit the starter, instead of tearing the receiver hole out of the injection pump, it becomes a break-away tool to protect The Dumb Asses of the world from destroying their injection pump timing hole. We joke that the reason you turn the engine over after setting the timing is to remind people like me to remove the TOOLS!

Sometimes, I have made things more easily bought, but in my more advanced years, I got less time and more money... I'll just buy the tools.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
then heck maybe even sell a few for 20-30 each. . . . . . Then it turns into a slight business venture of sorts. Unfortunately it's a very niche market on a product many people sell, but I could probably move 2-3 month if I posted it up in the classifieds. I'd make a few bucks and it would be doing a good service to the community..
Even more reason to buy one so that the ones you make can be modeled off it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The term "Lock Tool" is a problem for me is because it does not lock anything. It is used to index to TDC. (Kind of a precision tool) Just ask the guy that used his "crank lock tool" to "lock" the crank in position while he broke loose the crankshaft bolt and destroyed the witness hole in the block and destroyed his "crank lock tool".

My pet peeve and I'm sticking to it.................

Last edited: