www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:23   #16
visionlogic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 avg

Thanks for the input guys.

The problem with the intake cam gear is that it will not "rest" in the position where its alignment marks are horizontal - it wants to either rotate forward or back and then come to a "rest". The exhaust is similar but not as bad. Perhaps wooden wedge(s) behind each gear will supply the needed "drag"... I'll just have to try something.
Old July 11th, 2011, 13:36   #17
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

not behind the gears.. between the 2 gears...
Old July 11th, 2011, 21:21   #18
AndySRT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 cup car

. no need for the piece of wood. the tension of the belt will probly pull it back . here is a good how to from the SRT-4 same motor and idea just no turbo on yours

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...r-head-421718/

Last edited by AndySRT; July 11th, 2011 at 21:24.
AndySRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:15   #19
visionlogic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySRT View Post
. no need for the piece of wood. the tension of the belt will probly pull it back . here is a good how to from the SRT-4 same motor and idea just no turbo on yours

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...r-head-421718/
I am familiar with putting the exhaust cam a 1/2 notch below the intake cam to allow the tensioner tightening to pull them into alignment.

However, the linked post says to loosen the idler pulley and install the belt around it last. That is different from other instructions which say to begin at the crank and wrap the belt around countrclockwise and end at the tensioner. Interesting. Thanks!
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:54   #20
visionlogic
Veteran Member

Maybe success. Yesterday, after having the belt on and off a dozen times or so, each time slightly varying the relative positions of the 2 cams and the crank, the stars aligned so that cam and crank marks finally positioned properly when the tensioner was set correctly. Rotated crank twice around and they remained aligned. Hooked up the battery to test - started instantly, ran it for 5 secs and shut it down. Too tired to do any more now. Too much sun and heat have baked my brain.

I still don't know the trick of getting the belt on easily. No matter how I swung the tensioner through its loosen-tighten arc I could not find any position that would allow the belt to go over it as the last step. And removing the idler pulley and attempting to reinstall it as the last step wouldn't work either - still not enough slack. I ended up installing the belt on the exhaust cam as the last step - carefully using a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the belt edge on until it slipped into place. Each time I inspected the belt and I did not see any damage done by using this method. I guess only time will tell.

All in all, a truly cussworthy endeavor.

Last edited by visionlogic; July 25th, 2011 at 07:59.
visionlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:05   #21
majin_dave

The idler trick worked like a charm for getting that belt back on. I messed with it for hours and it just wouldnt go. Thanks for the ideas. A truly helpful thread. I just had to create an account to tell yall!
majin_dave is offline   Reply With Quote