Exhaust pipe broken

wolfsburg

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
As the topic says, the pipe is broken at the rear of the Cat pod. Any suggestions. I am thinking of cutting out the cat and have a pipe bent and welded in place of it. Where I live there are no inspections for diesels. This is a 2001 Jetta TDI. Thanks

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
You may be able to just weld a section of pipe to the cat and the rest of the pipe (cut out the damaged/broken two inches of pipe and replace that). Sure, you can take the cat out and - depending how good the rest of the pipe is - the muffler, too and run a straight pipe. It is called the mufflerectomy and many have done it. Sound is a bit more throaty and the turbo is more noticeable. Some like it, some don't.

wolfsburg

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Thanks cattlerepairman, the problem here is that the broken pipe is right at the Cat itself, so there is nothing really to weld to, or at least very difficult. Looks like I will cut out the Cat and see what the rest of the system looks like when it is on a hoist, and determine what needs to be replaced or as you mention maybe putting a straight pipe in all the way. My son will not really care is my guess regarding the noise..

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
I had a failure on my 2001 jetta at the same location a few months ago. The rest of the exaust was ok with the exception of a failed weld at the tailpipe bracket. I think the bracket failure caused the stress and break at the cat. A shame as the rest of the system was solid. The stock parts at the dealer were about $1200, so I chose a stainless, performance system from Techtonics for about $800. No cat. Borla muffler. I didnt notice a significant difference in the sound. The disels are quiet. I thought about a patch job myself, but then sprung for the stainless. It bolted in without any issues.

P.S. use caution removing the rusted nuts on the turbo flange. I borrowed a good snap-on 1/4 drive socket.

Good luck,
george