Winter Fuel Gelling Warning!

FirstVtwin

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
This message was posted on BITOG. I thought it appropriate to show it here. This is from a well respected member and Schaeffers rep.

"The jigs up guys.

We have done multiple tests across the country and we are seeing the pour points and cfpp's come in with a huge variance in fuels gelling temperatures. Some fuels are completely non responsive to anti-gels. Ulsd has brought a huge variable to the table. Additionally the shortage of #1 fuel adds to the problem.

If you have bulk tanks, now is the time to test for water in the tank. My otr guys are complaining about the vast amount of water they are getting on the road. This can only lead to problems. This is in addition to the lubricity and anti-oxidants being substantially lower with the new fuel.

I would suggest double treating when the severe cold hits and by all means avoid any additives that are alcohol based."

Link here...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=731299&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Thanks for bringing it up, but it's 82F here today (OK, Atl-Can guys, that's 28C :D ). Isn't it just a tad early to panic over this?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
FirstVtwin said:
This message was posted on BITOG. I thought it appropriate to show it here. This is from a well respected member and Schaeffers rep.

"The jigs up guys.

We have done multiple tests across the country and we are seeing the pour points and cfpp's come in with a huge variance in fuels gelling temperatures. Some fuels are completely non responsive to anti-gels. Ulsd has brought a huge variable to the table. Additionally the shortage of #1 fuel adds to the problem....
He may be a well-respected member, but it seems like he's sounding the alarm a little early. It's still a few weeks before the terminals start winterizing the fuel. And the part about "Some fuels are completely non responsive to anti-gels" needs to be explained -- what fuels? Is he talking about #2 or is he talking about biodiesel? Biodiesel needs a different anti-gel additive, but that doesn't mean it is resistant to anti-gel additives.

It sounds like he's trying to sell additives, which is okay since that's his job. But I wish he would try to inform diesel users instead of scaring them.

Logismoi

Veteran Member
TDI
PD
dieseldorf said:
Yeah, I know, it can't be far away <sigh>
neither is the possibility of moving south for the winter ? :D

No really, is B20 (i know wrong area to ask, but it IS fuel) going to
gell more than B5? Dumb question just need some input as to what to add to ULSD/Biodiesel mix I use.

Thanks

FirstVtwin

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
TornadoRed said:
He may be a well-respected member, but it seems like he's sounding the alarm a little early. It's still a few weeks before the terminals start winterizing the fuel. And the part about "Some fuels are completely non responsive to anti-gels" needs to be explained -- what fuels? Is he talking about #2 or is he talking about biodiesel? Biodiesel needs a different anti-gel additive, but that doesn't mean it is resistant to anti-gel additives.

It sounds like he's trying to sell additives, which is okay since that's his job. But I wish he would try to inform diesel users instead of scaring them.
You post some good questions...I will see if I can point him in this direction to give us some answers.

salesrep

TDI
none
We have tested in 6 different regions. We have found loads of both bio and ulsd to be non-responsive to certain adds. an most certainly non responsive to some of the otc adds which were produced for #2. ulsd is a whole new ballgame. The refiners and fuel suppliers are working overtime to answer questions. Certain suppliers in ohio and illlinois i would avoid. Bp seems to be working the hardest at solving problems. My alarm is for you. I sell very little adds over the net. $300 minimum which will treat from 8000 to 16000 gallons of fuel. The small user is not my prospect.

The lack of lubricity and anti-oxidents in Ulsd should be taken very seriously. A decent add will pay for itself in many ways.

btw. You have been running 15 to 300 ppm's for sometime now.

I would suggest double treating when the severe cold hits and by all means avoid any additives that are alcohol based.
One with a lubricity package if you are not running bio is preferable.
if you live in the states that have Quik Trips. Run their premium.

The trucking industry is extremely concerned and most are taking extra precautions to ensure that they do not get "caught".

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
From Infineum Insight June 2006

Hmmm...nice synchronicity. I was re-reading this article earlier this afternoon.

Good advice for winter. Europe had issues the first year as well and our new fuel appears to be lower sulfur and more highly processed.

Full-size pages are here: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3