cat fuel filters

SPOOLIN_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta tdi
iv had nicktanes filter kit on my tdi for a lil over a year now and its due for a filter change.. I have the so called 1 micron on it now and want to change it to the 2 micro cat filter.... but im a little confused. there is two different ultra-high efficiency filters .. and no one can seem to tell me the difference between the two? part # 364-5287 is supposed to be the plus? and part #306-9199 is just the u.h.e? im pretty sure they are both 2 micron and both the same size. but not sure what to purchase?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I just went to napa and bought the Gold "equivalent" to the Cat filter I had been using. Not sure what the micron rating is, but it's working just fine.
It was convenient to source it locally over the counter.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
...and want to change it to the 2 micro cat filter.... but im a little confused. there is two different ultra-high efficiency filters .. and no one can seem to tell me the difference between the two? part # 364-5287 is supposed to be the plus? and part #306-9199 is just the u.h.e? im pretty sure they are both 2 micron and both the same size. but not sure what to purchase?

Here's the CAT catalog for filters: https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/filters

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
iv had nicktanes filter kit on my tdi for a lil over a year now and its due for a filter change.. I have the so called 1 micron on it now and want to change it to the 2 micro cat filter.... but im a little confused. there is two different ultra-high efficiency filters .. and no one can seem to tell me the difference between the two? part # 364-5287 is supposed to be the plus? and part #306-9199 is just the u.h.e? im pretty sure they are both 2 micron and both the same size. but not sure what to purchase?
You need to talk to Nick, because his 1-micron filter head probably has different threads which will not match up with the Cat 2-micron filter.

How do you know that your TDI is due for a filter change? How many miles on the current filter?

SPOOLIN_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta tdi
Yes I know I was just gonna go with a different filter this time... Just gotta decide what one has anyone ran the Donaldson? Iv got about 35k on filter and I kno I can get. A lot more but I'm anal.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I think you may need an adapter for the regular 2 micron Cat filter if you've got the 1 micron head (check me on this). I have the nicktane kit and use the regular cat filters. I went 60K on the last one and did not notice a difference when I changed it out recently (i.e., it wasn't clogged).

Anal is good but unnecessary. You got this in order to run long intervals....right?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There is a reason why Nick sells two different filter heads for two different filter specifications. It wouldn't make sense if the filter heads were interchangeable.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been replacing the Cat fuel filter about every 60k-70k miles, maybe a little longer sometimes. I think I've been too cautious, because I've never seen any reason why I couldn't have gone longer.

Back when we were first trying out the Cat filters, no one knew what interval was best, even though they'd been testing the filter heads for several years. (I upgraded during the warranty period, and I got only positive feedback from the dealer techs.)

Using data from the Caterpillar website, we calculated that the 2-micron filter should be replaced about every 100k miles. So why replace more often? I just get tired of waiting.

What about the other filter, the one Spoolin has? Just guessing, I'd say it could have a shorter replacement interval, if it really capturing a significant amount of particles in the range of 1 to 2 microns. So maybe 80k miles before replacement, unless it's convenient to do it earlier, like maybe every one or two years. Some people say before winter, others say afterward; I don't think it matters so long as you do it someday.

Last edited:

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I've been changing my Cat filter every 100k, and quite frankly, I think the change interval could go significantly longer in our TDI's. Just my opinion.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been changing my Cat filter every 100k, and quite frankly, I think the change interval could go significantly longer in our TDI's. Just my opinion.

I plan on replacing mine someday, maybe before it rusts thru.;)
It's a big volume filter and if prior examples of change intervals mean much it probably could be a "lifetime".

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I plan on replacing mine someday, maybe before it rusts thru.;) It's a big volume filter and if prior examples of change intervals mean much it probably could be a "lifetime".
How many miles on the filter so far?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many miles on the filter so far?

W/o going back (way back, almost 10? years) into records, I would estimate about 80K. Haven't touched it since installation other than the T fitting o-rings.
The '01 has become my winter time and utility vehicle for use to tow small items. The higher miled '03 has more of the commuter duty.

SPOOLIN_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta tdi
I've been replacing the Cat fuel filter about every 60k-70k miles, maybe a little longer sometimes. I think I've been too cautious, because I've never seen any reason why I couldn't have gone longer.

Back when we were first trying out the Cat filters, no one knew what interval was best, even though they'd been testing the filter heads for several years. (I upgraded during the warranty period, and I got only positive feedback from the dealer techs.)

Using data from the Caterpillar website, we calculated that the 2-micron filter should be replaced about every 100k miles. So why replace more often? I just get tired of waiting.

What about the other filter, the one Spoolin has? Just guessing, I'd say it could have a shorter replacement interval, if it really capturing a significant amount of particles in the range of 1 to 2 microns. So maybe 80k miles before replacement, unless it's convenient to do it earlier, like maybe every one or two years. Some people say before winter, others say afterward; I don't think it matters so long as you do it someday.
as far as the different filters I know I have to get different adaptors. I have the so called 1 micron synthetic micro glass filter on it now. just wanted to change it and go with a more reputable cat filter, but now im thinking twice about it because cat cant even tell me the difference in filters? ***. and I can see goin 50k on a filter but not 80 or 100k this is jmo. diesel fuel these days is horrible. and I don't mind spending a lil more money being anal and making sure my fuel is clean. iv just had some bad luck on my other diesels with injector issues and cp3/high pressure fuel pumps. its just worth it to me. but back to finding the filter difference has anyone come up with anything? I know the one filter is supposed to be a 4 as shown in the link but I was looking for a 2 or less thanks for the input guys

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spoolin, the bottom line is that Cat almost certainly does not make or sell a filter with the thread specifications of your Nicktane filter head. You can contact Nick, but he will probably suggest that you buy the other filter head he sells, the one for the Cat 1R-0750 filter. Perhaps you can sell your current filter head in the Classified section of TDI Club forums? Or transfer it to another car you own now or sometime in the future?

SPOOLIN_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta tdi
I'm pretty sure u can just change out the nipples for different filters? At least that's what I'm seeing from nicktanes web site?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm pretty sure u can just change out the nipples for different filters? At least that's what I'm seeing from nicktanes web site?
You may be right, and that would be cheaper than buying another complete filter head. But you should still contact Nick first, or post your question in his thread in the Vendors Forum, just to make sure it will work.

Also, you can almost certainly run with your current filter till 80k miles or so. I don't recall whether you said how many miles were on it now.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf

Resurrecting this thread because I had an interesting finding regarding the CAT fuel filter replacement interval. I used Tornado's post above just to provide context.

I've been running the Nicktane adapter using regular CAT 2 micron filters for about 100K miles now with good results. Two nights ago, after getting fuel, I started to have some serious symptoms of fuel starvation -- surging under full throttle and the sensation of hitting the rev limiter at about 3000 RPM. At first I thought it was a bad batch of fuel but read on.

I also run a pre-filter (clear, in-line) that I had never changed so today, I promptly replaced it thinking that it had to be what's causing the flow constriction. But...when I went out for a drive afterward, the problem remained.

So next up, I replaced the CAT filter hoping for some reason that it would indeed be the culprit. I doubted it in that the last CAT filter went 60K without any issues and I only replaced it because it never had been in 5 years. So, the filter I was replacing today had about 46K miles on it -- far fewer than the previous filter interval and fewer miles than would be expected when looking at other applications of this filter.

Well, after replacing it, the problem was GONE....completely, and in fact, the car runs like it just got its Malone tune upgraded -- runs like a banshee!

Don't know what to make of this. This filter had only 46K on it. Clearly it was clogging up. New filter opened up the fuel flow like crazy.

Anyway, I'll probably go to a 40K replacement schedule now. Not ideal but these filters aren't very expensive. I really appreciate the new-found power and acceleration. Alternatively, I could just wait and replace when noticeable restriction occurs. But I think performance degrades subtly in that I really didn't notice a lack of power until the surging started. But once replaced, it was clear that I regained a bunch of power I hadn't clearly noticed had been lost. All is well, life is good.

Anyway, hope this helps the collective brain trust...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Did you drain out the old filter? Curious whether it had water in it. Wondering if water could have been blocking flow: water molecules tend to bond together, in which case they could be layering against the filter material and blocking?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This filter had only 46K on it. Clearly it was clogging up. New filter opened up the fuel flow like crazy.
Anyway, I'll probably go to a 40K replacement schedule now. Not ideal but these filters aren't very expensive. I really appreciate the new-found power and acceleration. Alternatively, I could just wait and replace when noticeable restriction occurs. But I think performance degrades subtly in that I really didn't notice a lack of power until the surging started.
Fuel flow, even at idle, has been measured at about 1 GPM. Even if it was only half of that, it would be far more than enough to power any TDI under full acceleration.

So for your fuel filter to be so plugged that it caused a power loss, it had to be a really bad tank of fuel -- not a gradual degrading of the fuel flow unless you always fuel up at stations with bad fuel.

I would not use this single event as a reason to shorten the NORMAL replacement interval. I think this could have happened when the fuel filter was newly installed, or after 100k miles, or anytime in between.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have been running my stock fuel filters at 50K intervals, no issues. The 20K interval that VW requires is absurd.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Much depends on your fuel.

In a reasonably high-volume environment for source, and from a known good source, the odds of needing to change filters for a quite-long time are small. However, it only takes one bad fill and.....

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I have been running my stock fuel filters at 50K intervals, no issues. The 20K interval that VW requires is absurd.

If VW had required intervals of 50k and filters we're clogging at say 45k I'm sure we'll all be screaming robbery.
Suggested maintenance references by VW or any manufacturer is subjective.

Bajan

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Did you drain out the old filter? Curious whether it had water in it. Wondering if water could have been blocking flow: water molecules tend to bond together, in which case they could be layering against the filter material and blocking?
I did but not into a vessel in order to look at it. Dumb but I get a little tunnel vision when I'm in a "oh sh!t, my car's breaking down mode..."

On one side it was draining charcoal colored diesel and on the other clear. I drained into my waste oil container.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Fuel flow, even at idle, has been measured at about 1 GPM. Even if it was only half of that, it would be far more than enough to power any TDI under full acceleration.

So for your fuel filter to be so plugged that it caused a power loss, it had to be a really bad tank of fuel -- not a gradual degrading of the fuel flow unless you always fuel up at stations with bad fuel.

I would not use this single event as a reason to shorten the NORMAL replacement interval. I think this could have happened when the fuel filter was newly installed, or after 100k miles, or anytime in between.
I don't disagree, Tornado. What remains to be seen is whether or not this is indeed a bad tank of fuel. I how have fully new filters in place but only about 50 miles on this tank of fuel.

I don't know how much buffer a new CAT filter has in terms of mitigating a bad batch of fuel (bad meaning water more likely than anything else).

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Why guess? They make gauges to tell you when to change the filter
http://filterminder.com/products/vi...uel-filter-restriction-monitoring-gauges.html

Can not find these for sale anywhere. Checked over 20 of the links from the manufacturer's website. None at any of those links, only the air filter minders.

I'm suspecting they're no longer available.

Raycor makes one at $70. For that price I could replace the CAT filter every 20K and be ahead a decade from now!

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Just stick a vacuum gauge inline with the pump (after the filter.) Trivial, and inexpensive.

Racor rapes you because they make things for the "marine" market, where the usual is to screw you to the tune of at LEAST 300%.