Fuel Door Actuator Solenoid Quest

TDIdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD Manual
Okay... I have been putting up with what I thought was a fuel door switch issues for several weeks now. Today I got the bug to fix it. So, I took the switch out and tested it. The switch works. It works really well.

Against my better judgement with only an hour before bedtime, I dove into the trunk of my Golf to test the wiring to the actuator. First a little background here: I did fix the actuator on my ALH Jetta by just cleaning it (and the rest of the car was worse). So, I was somewhat familiar with the process. I thought it would be just as "easy" as the Jetta. I was wrong. The fuel door actuator in the Golf is actually up C-pillar which requires removing the trunk carpeting, the deck lid track and part of the C-pillar covering. After loosing one of my sockets to the depths of the interior, I ended up taking out more of the molding than initially planned and cursing uncontrollably...

Okay, I digress. Long story short(ish), after testing the switch, the wiring, and the actuator; I have found the actuator to be faulty. My plan is to put in a manual release lever in the trunk area, but I would like the switch in the driver's door to still be operational. I have found plenty of used actuators for $30-$35, but I would really like to get a new one without visiting the stealership (dealership for those of you not familiar with VW TDI lingo). Does anyone have a vendor they can point me to while I still have the trunk torn apart?

BTW - the part number is 1J6810773C.

Cheers!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI

TDIdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD Manual
That's a really nice setup. However, it still relies on that actuator to work. I was thinking of a T-handle in the trunk in case any of failure of the motor or the electrical circuit that powers it.

$45 for the actuator doesn't seem bad at all, and if it includes the remote kit - then that is a hell of a deal! I could have 3 ways to potentially get into my fuel tank (not including the credit card method I have been using).

Most importantly, though, I need that actuator.