Cant fill up my tank

agy2k2

TDI
none
Just picked up an 06 jetta tdi. First time I went to fill up the car wont take fuel, it clicks / stops the pump every couple seconds. Took me 10 minutes to fill the tank. Whats the deal?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Got to fuel slow and the handle needs to be in a certain position for it to fuel even moderately fast. Just try moving the handle around to where it works better. Just sticking it and and clicking the handle to full speed won't work.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
There is also the chance that you were using a larger filler nozzle meant for trucks.

Won't work very well in our cars.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
There is also the chance that you were using a larger filler nozzle meant for trucks. Won't work very well in our cars.
Not likely in the US. Unlike on the A4, the A5 filler hole will not mate to a high flow nozzle. My guess is the OP stumbled upon a faulty nozzle. On rare occasion I've had the problem at unfamilair stations.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Not likely in the US. Unlike on the A4, the A5 filler hole will not mate to a high flow nozzle. My guess is the OP stumbled upon a faulty nozzle. On rare occasion I've had the problem at unfamilair stations.

My "old" filling staion, equipped with "small" nozzles, and slow pumps, decided to go HI-FLOW.

Buyer beware.
You want normal sized Nozzles, and normal flow Fuel.

Shop around. (2-20-2011 Dearborn Heights, MI $3.35 per Gallon)

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I had a similar experience last week for the first time at a station I had never used before. It took about 15 minutes to fill the tank because I had to pump it very slowly. Just try another station and don't go back to that one and see if you have better luck elsewhere. I never had a problem before this and attribute it to something with that particular pump. If it happens again at another station look down the filler neck with a light and make sure there's nothing impeding the flow in there...sometimes people use additives and the foil or cardboard seals fall down into the neck and block them too.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
There is one station out in the middle of nowhere NC that still has the huge pump - I found it after I prepayed (inside of course) and it was too big!

I have encountered your phenomenon occasionally - usually when I pull the nozzle out an inch or so, and don't put the lock on the tightest setting, it works fine.