Front bearing Help!!

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Hey Guys,

VIK F, P2B and I are wokring on changing my front bearing...

WE can't get the dirve axles off the hub !!!! any hints...or a tools

the 3 control arm bolts are off...caliper/rotor off....

and we sprayed with penetrating oil.....

hammering at it to try and loosen it oFFF.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Last edited:

dttech

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Black
So did you get it back together alright after I left? Sorry I couldn't stay and help more.

Dave

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
So what was the cure??.....Brute strength and ignorance usually does the trick....BFH in the airline industry. (big f**king hammer)

Curious Craig

dttech

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Black
Pressure with the puller and then like you said, a big hammer on the bolt. Quarter turn and hit, then over and over again.
I've done 3 in the last month and they were all easy but both side's on Dennis' car were very tough.
It even wrecked the bolt on one puller.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
dttech said:
So did you get it back together alright after I left? Sorry I couldn't stay and help more.

Dave
Yup, we got it back together.

The driver's side spindle thread was a mess from using the BFH on it before you arrived with the stronger puller, but I managed to clean it up enough to get it torqued properly. Front bearings are nice and quiet now :D

I've never seen that problem before - usually the spindles come out of the hub with little or no persuasion. They were tight going back in too, puller will be required if they ever need to come out again.

Simon

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
LOL..thanks for all the help guys....and like VIk says.....that injector puller...now has doubled its worth.
Just after thinking that my first TB change was a PITA....I consider this a extra PITA...but that 23pc bearing puller kit is well worth to rent.

on a side note...when I need a bearing change again...I am just gonna upgrade to VR6 axles and spindle...:D

Thanks again Dave for your help...and simon is work horse.:)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Glad you got it done. I remember mine being a pain with a press. I couldn't quite figure out how you were going to do it with that tool you had :confused: .

Simon, good to meet you. Sorry I wasn't more social, but I had a 2 year old I had to chase around. I didn't want him scratching anything.