1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI Wagon, $4K, Knoxville, TN

jesserobot

TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon
I am testing the waters on whether or not to sell my trusted B4 wagon. It has been a great car but it may be time to part ways and upgrade to something newer. Plus I have a W123 Benz that needs some attention.

Since these cars are rare and getting rarer all the time, there doesn't seem to be many similar sales to compare. A few years ago I did see a low milage 96 TDI wagon go for $12K. My car is not close to the same condition (way more miles) but I do know that there is an active interest in these cars. It's a unicorn of a car.

Closest comparable cars that I have found are all sedans with more mileage. They seem to be going for around $3K. No wagons that I could find for sale currently. $4000 or best reasonable offer. Unreasonable offers will be ignored. Posted locally too and will update post if it sells.

Here is a pic, working on taking more soon.
http://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_cnRzP78RuG2_1200x900.jpg

We purchased the car in 2007 and are the 3rd owner. First owner drove the car for 120K miles and didn't maintain the engine. At 120K the engine was rebuilt and the clutch was replaced. These tasks were performed by a highly trusted and reputable TDI mechanic. The second owner (North Carolina) sold the car to us at 160K. We have driven the car since. Currently the car has roughly 240K and rising since this is a daily commuter. Trusted local VW shop, MF Auto in Knoxville, has handled most if not all maintenance and repairs since we have owned the car. We have been constantly addressing any issue that comes up on this car. As of now, there are no major issues to report.

The good!
It will go forever on a tank of fuel
45+ MPG on highway
No accidents
5 speed manual
Have gotten plus or minus 1000 miles on 1 tank numerous times.
The AC is ice cold
Synthetic oil changes for the entirety of ownership
Recent timing belt change
Has a trailer hitch
Sunroof works and doesn't leak
Everything is original stock OEM or OEM equivalent (no mods, no tuning)
The original radio/stereo/cassette still works
Unless stated, most everything works as it should
Tons of hauling room with the back seats down
Including some misc extra parts I have collected over the years
With regular maintenance this car should reach and/or exceed 500K

Recent updates
two new front tires (June 2016)
front end alignment (June 2016)
oil change (early 2016)
timing belt service at 225000
new shocks/struts (2014)
replaced 1 rear spring (2014)
new AC compressor and system service (2014)
new glow plug harness (2014)
rebuilt/resealed fuel pump (2015)
new front brake pads and rotors (2014)
new rear brake pads and rotors (2015)
new rear bearings (2015)
replaced bad ECU/ECM and power supply (2014)
exhaust system replaced (2014)
numerous oil and coolant seals replaced as needed
newer battery

Known issues
The steering fluid is sweating/weeping. I check it every week or two and top off if it is low. It's a very slow leak so I usually only add a little every month or so. The mechanic says just to keep if filled and you shouldn't have a problem. It's been this way for at least 3 years. Topping off is way cheaper than a steering pump.
Ok, exterior door handles. . . this is VW design flaw with this car. As of now, they all work except the driver door handle. I just ordered a new after market one so I should have this fixed soon.

Clear coat is peeling. Seems to be a common occurrence with maroon/burgundy cars. Something about how they deal with UV exposure. This is my second maroon car and both clear coats peeled.

Various small dents, scratches, dings. Parking lot wear and tear. Showroom condition it is not. We are the 3rd owner so many of these have been inherited. It's a commuter car so I haven't been too concerned about it.

Foam in vents. This is another design flaw with a lot of older VWs. After years of use the ventilation system foam deteriorates and blows out the vents. Most if not all of the foam is gone now. A few bits will blow out occasionally but only when on full blast. The foam is cheap. The procedure to fix it is pretty invasive (remove entire dash) but is doable. The heat is there, it just is mixed with outside air so not as hot unless you have the recirculation button pushed. I live in the south so winters aren't harsh. Gloves and a coat are easier than the repair. AC works good. Here is the link to a DIY on fixing this issue that I have not been brave enough to tackle. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/1...nt-hvac-foam-replacement-and-air-box-rebuild/

Rear passenger side window does not work currently. I have the original regulator and a working used one. Haven't had time to fix it. It may be as simple as a short in the wiring to that window. Window is shimmed closed and for now and does not leak.

Small hole in driver seat. It is at a seam so if you are good with the needle and thread it could be easily repaired. A seat cover would work too.

The carpet is not great. It could use a good cleaning. There is an obvious hole where the foot rests for the pedals in front drivers side. This is due to a previous owner wearing sharp heels. A floor mat currently covers this.

It's an older car so some of the plastic interior trim pieces are starting to deteriorate, are broken, or missing. It is a 20 year old car so this is to be expected. Many of the parts you could track down online, at the pull-a-part or find a good donor car out there.

Ok, so as you can tell from the length of this post I still have a little bit of attachment to the car. Regardless, the car is up for your consideration. It has served my family well over the years. The way these cars go it could serve someone else just as long or longer.

Last edited: