Can I transplant an ALH from AT to a MT

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
I know that MK4 tdi with the 1.9 engine has some part differences between the engine for MT and AT. My question is, Can I mount an engine from an AT to a MT car? I ask because I see so many engines from the automatics than from the Manual Trans. I have a 2003 JSW that needs an engine. Is my new Bosch fuel pump compatible with the injectors on the engine from AT car?

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
You see autos over manuals due to transmissions being to pricey to fix for most normal owners that will just drop the whole car. But besides the few basic differences of what I've gathered it be easier to engine swap than what I personally am going through with trans swaps [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’m about to drop my engine from my 2000 Golf auto into an 03 Jetta manual. There are some differences. The ip for the auto is a 11mm the manual is a 10mm. Many consider the 11mm an upgrade for the manual. Physically they look the same you have to read the serial number to know the difference.

Coolant glow plugs on the side of the head. Just swap out the flange with the plugs for the manual, the auto doesn’t have them. Or you can leave them off it’s up to you.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I’m about to drop my engine from my 2000 Golf auto into an 03 Jetta manual. There are some differences. The ip for the auto is a 11mm the manual is a 10mm. Many consider the 11mm an upgrade for the manual. Physically they look the same you have to read the serial number to know the difference.

Coolant glow plugs on the side of the head. Just swap out the flange with the plugs for the manual, the auto doesn’t have them. Or you can leave them off it’s up to you.
Quick addition / clarification... the 11mm auto IP is only an upgrade if you use the original manual injectors (or larger). The auto and manual engine "packages" are both rated for 90hp (slightly different power curve).

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds

The 11mm pump has 414 somewhere in the number where the 10mm pump will be a 404.

And the starter and alternator are different

The autos got a 90 amp starter since they didn't have the coolant heaters on the driver's side or back side of the head but many have ran a 90 amp on a 5 speed car without any issues. The starter looks the same but won't line up.

The auto cars also had smaller nozzles on the injectors

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
biggest physical difference is the hard metal coolant return pipe for the heater core, oil, cooler etc... it has an extra nipple for the automatic fluid cooler... you can swap pipes or use a high quality nipple cap (not dorman) ... there's a factory vw cap on bhw's that works well

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So what happens when you use the stock injectors on the auto engine with the 10mm pump from the manual?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Are the coolant glow plugs on the BEW engine? That is what i show the OP has in his list of cars.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
So what happens when you use the stock injectors on the auto engine with the 10mm pump from the manual?
Has to be a noticeable power loss. It'd run though. Don't know if I've read anyone's results from trying that.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's the desired combo, although if the 10mm pump is in better shape, I'd run that one.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Has to be a noticeable power loss. It'd run though. Don't know if I've read anyone's results from trying that.
Somewhere down the road I plan to try that and see if I can squeeze some mileage out and see how it feels. It's be for a commuter car only if it ran somewhat descent

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk