P13D7 / P13D9 Glow Plug in Hole 4.

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I got the P13D7 / P13D9 codes coming up and a check engine light on. Searching around abit and it seems fairly common. I am going to swap 3 and 4 just to make sure it follows the plug.
Any tips for doing it? I think someone said a 12mm socket.
Should I use any high temp ant-seize or will that mess up the grounding on it?

Thanks!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Beru (the Glow Plug manufacturer) does not recommend any anti-sieze compound of any kind. I believe that a 12mm deep socket works. The most important thing is not to over torque the GPs. I would look it up, but if i recall correctly, it is only something like 11 or 12 ft-lbs of torque to install the GPs. You do not want to break them while installing them.

Have Fun!

Don

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Glad you reminded me about torque specs. I found a few sites, and a friend has alldatadiy, both show 12nM, which converted is 8.8 ft-lbs. So be very light on them is what I am getting. Going to dive in tomorrow after work and see what happens.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
12nM vs. 12 ft-lbs - yep, that's the kind of mistake I could make. That's why I recommended looking it up.

Have Fun!

Don

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Swapped the plugs from 3 and 4 to confirm it was the plug, error moved to plug 3. Ordered a new plug. It is harder to get the wire out of the way than it is do the rest of the job. I guess it could have killed VW to add another inch to the wire so you didn't have to float the hole harness.
Man these little plugs are not cheap!

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Swapped the plugs from 3 and 4 to confirm it was the plug, error moved to plug 3. Ordered a new plug. It is harder to get the wire out of the way than it is do the rest of the job. I guess it could have killed VW to add another inch to the wire so you didn't have to float the hole harness.
Man these little plugs are not cheap!
I'm sorry for resurrecting this thread but I am receiving the exact same codes. What glow plug do I need to buy? I see there's a giant price disparity between the ones with sensors and the ones without. I just need the MIL off so I can get the thing through emissions!

Any response is greatly appreciated.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not sure which car.

you can check with one of the vendors here.

but they will want to know at least the model, and hopefully the VIN to verify correct fit.

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I'm sorry for resurrecting this thread but I am receiving the exact same codes. What glow plug do I need to buy? I see there's a giant price disparity between the ones with sensors and the ones without. I just need the MIL off so I can get the thing through emissions!
Any response is greatly appreciated.
Confirm with your local parts place, but mine had the sensors in it (hence the code.) Not a cheap little glow plug, might be worth moving it to another cyl. to confirm that is the issue.