2002 tdi, anti shutter or egr?

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Bought a 2002 tdi a couple weeks ago wasn’t in a running condition and previously ran wvo. Ok so here we go car would run for 2 seconds then shut off. So from reading threads here(thank you very much from a new member) I checked shutter valve and it moved freely so I thought it was an Immobilizer issue. Took it to dealership they told me I needed a new injection pump ( imagine that) so I told them to not worry about it I would do the work myself. So to prove them wrong I jumped the fuel shut off valve and put a pair of plyers in the shutter valve to get it started and line and behold it ran. So I took jumper wire off shut off valve and it kept running so then I took pliers out of intake and I kept running. So now I think I have it whipped but when I plugged vacuum line back into egr the car died instantly. So not sure if it’s the shutter valve or egr? I would imagine shutter valve because that the only thing that can actually kill it correct? I’m also in the process of cleaning intake and egr to see if that makes a difference and it needs done anyway so any thoughts?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Sounds like the solenoid that controls both may be stuck or malfunctioning sucking the ASV closed. Unplug the ASV and plug the egr in and see if it runs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
It's the other one I think it's the N19

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Both those devices while located on the same part work completely independently of one another, and both should be pretty easy to diagnose.

If you pull the vacuum line (the large one) off of the EGR valve, and the vacuum line (the small one on the little servo in back) off, both valves should be spring loaded SHUT, and therefor cannot cause any issues related to the engine running.

This takes 30 seconds. Do this. Report back.

Also verify the vacuum routing is correct. You said this was a WVO car... many (most) of those get butchered up pretty bad under the hood, so it wouldn't surprise me if the vacuum harness was a chewy mess.

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yeah I’ll have to look at it. I have started tearing out all the wvo equipment as it was in pretty rough condition like the car but haven’t found anything that the wvo system would have affected the vacuum system but will check a little closer

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I ordered a limp mode kit from Kermatdi as well so I will be replacing all the vacuum lines anyway and the n75 valve so hopefully it cures the problem.

oilhammer

TDI
When people hack a car up to put that WVO crap in, they often mess all kinds of unrelated things up. So I never assume. Besides, on a car that old, it could have some vacuum line related issue anyway, even if it never was butchered up.

The last WVO basket case I had in here needed an engine. Not because the WVO tooefed the engine directly, although plenty do that too, but this one had some horse's behind fuel hose draped around near the PS pulley.... and eventually it wiggled loose enough that the pulley sliced through the line, and fuel... er... "waste food"... was spewing out on the belt, causing it to derail, which allowed it to get sucked up under the timing cover, which derailed the timing belt, which caused valves to get romantic with pistons, to the point of cracking them, bending the rods, and sending one rod through the front of the block. It was a mess. :p

oilhammer

TDI
That is how it works. Normally open, then when you shut the engine off, the solenoid allows vacuum into the servo to quickly shut the valve, to do exactly what the name says... keep the engine from shuddering when it stops spinning because if it has blocked off the air supply, there is nothing to compress.

If it has vacuum ALL THE TIME, then something is wrong. Very simple system. The solenoid is on a little bracket on the intake manifold. Simple ON/OFF device, supply vacuum on one nipple, out to the servo on the other. The supply nipple is the top one.

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Oh well must be the valve then because as soon as I turn it in it closes. Fortunately I have a new one and will replace it today to see if it works. Thank you