Brake light beeping and flashing

slm801

Hello
the past few weeks my TDI's brake light (same light that comes on for the e-brake) has been flashing and beeping about 2-3 times a day.
It seems to happen most often when I yield, or abruptly stop and then start moving again.
My brakes were changed about 2 months ago, but this problem didn't arise until a month later.
it's very annoying so any 'cheap' fix suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--Brake fluid level is great!--
Thank you

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Hmm, my 2000 did it the other day as wel. Fluids look good, pads have lots of life left. I'm guessing a dity sensor. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
May have an answer

Been there. The flashing light and buzzer nearly drove me nuts. I'd double check the fluid level as it doesn't take a big difference to set off the buzzer. For me, it ended up being the gasket on my rear brake caliper (where the brake line contacts the caliper). It's a banjo type seal with copper gaskets and it had sprung a very slow leak due to corrosion of the copper gasket. Check to see if you calipers are wet or oily feeling from brake fluid.

My local mechanic simply took off the brake line, cleaned the corrosion and replaced it with a new gasket and the leak is fixed. This was a better solution than the whole rotor replacement since it didn't need it. A 50 cent washer and about 1/2 hour labour was all I was charged.

Hope this helps:eek:

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Found my problem. The right rear brake light bulb was losing contact intermittantly. I switched it around and hopefully this will do the trick.