www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:00   #16
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrillmair
I checked my red/black/blue hose pressures this morning. I don't get instant boost to 12 psi at 2500 RPM and 3rd gear and flooring it, but rather only 9 or 10. I have to wait till I get to > 3500 RPM before I'm getting 12 PSI. Red and black hoses give almost identical results, leading me to believe that most of the intake system is ok. However, my blue hose yields 0 PSI under all conditions. I'm slowly coming to grips with the possiblity that there may be something wrong with the turbo, and why the guy sold it to me at blue book (when all other high-mpg small cars are rapidly increasing in value)...

Carl
The blue hose should get pressure when the N75 is being used, which is when the ecu is trying to cut boost. Not getting any pressure there indicates to me that the N75 is likely your problem. I'd replace all of these hoses, since they are 10 years old and really don't own you anything else, and if that doesn't do the job, replace the N75. I assume you don't have a VagCom, since I believe you can "cycle" the N75 and do some testing with it.
Old July 8th, 2008, 14:42   #17
rcoker

Default telling what engine I have...

I just aquired a 96 Passat TDI (traded my 66 beetle for it), and need to know if it has an 1Z or and AHU? How do I tell! Any input would be great!
rcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 17:01   #18
rdkern
Veteran Member

Almost certainly a 1Z. Most Passats had 1z's with the AHU's coming in on some of the last ones, and some of the A3's.
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:11   #19
tdijim
Veteran Member

Help, please, if you can. Are in-dash electrical burning smells, sizzling sounds, dome, sun roof, rear-defogger shorting out problems covered anywhere? After this happened, the car sizzled when the key was turned and then wouldn't turn over. I'm guessing the infamous pure copper VW wiring on my B4 is producing a direct short inside my dash. Any advice?
tdijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 22:29   #20
Kirk Nordstrom

Fuel Economy: 35-55 mpg Imperial
Question How do I determine which TDI engine I have?

Naive question, I know, but all the same, I'd like to know how to find out which series of 1.9 I have. Vehicle is a 1998 Jetta TDI 5 spd Sedan. Kirk
Kirk Nordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:15   #21
rdkern
Veteran Member

A 98 Jetta should be the A3 body style, and probably AHU engine, although with this age car, it could be a 1Z. Precious little difference in the engines.
Old January 20th, 2010, 13:59   #22
slam
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

The only big difference I am seeing between the 1Z and AHU motors is in some of the injector pump parts. =)

Hey rdkern, I finally got my ebay vagcom cable! I went to pull my injector pump (yes, finally!) and realized I will also need the cam lock tool and probably a belt tensioner. Ah, the VW learning curve. =)

Last edited by slam; January 20th, 2010 at 14:16.
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 14:16   #23
rdkern
Veteran Member

Aren't there also slightly different valve stems? could be misremembering there.
Old April 7th, 2011, 00:11   #24
Gawd129

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

I have an issue with my '96 MKIII that seems like someone must have dealt with it before, but I'm not sure whether to classify it "Frequent", but I thought it entertaining/annoying enough to ask.

I'm having some kind of electronics issue. All at once, my power locks, sunroof, and fan don't work, and the radio turns off and on every time a hit a bump or pull on the E-brake just enough for the car to register it. The instigator of this was that my power lock button fell off, and before i was able to put it back on, i believe i pressed both the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons at the same time, effectively frying something, but i've checked the fuses and replaced a couple just to try buy they appear fine.

I think this combination of problems points to one specific thing, but I'm yet to find out what it is. Anyone seen this before?

ThankS!

Last edited by Gawd129; April 7th, 2011 at 00:12. Reason: Adding model year - 1996 Jetta
Gawd129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:15   #25
rdkern
Veteran Member

Is this a tdi? I didn't think they were offered in the US until 97.

I'd start by cleaning all of the grounds. While you're looking around, you might find something else. But cleaning the grounds can't hurt. I'm not sure where they placed them in the A3, but in the B4 big ones are right near the battery and near the windshield washer fluid. Remove the boost hose if you want easy access.

Last edited by rdkern; April 7th, 2011 at 21:18.
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 16:53   #26
Gawd129

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Ah, i probably should have mentioned that it's got an A2 1.6 NA swap in it. Thanks for the advice, i'll go attack the grounds right now.
Old November 21st, 2011, 23:44   #27
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

How can you tell if you're a 1Z or AAZ? Rock auto has two different lines of parts for each????
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:17   #28
slam
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
How can you tell if you're a 1Z or AAZ? Rock auto has two different lines of parts for each????
Generally speaking if it's a '96 it's a 1Z, and '98 and up it's an AHU. '97 was a bit of a mix if I recall correctly. AAZs only came in much later models if I recall correctly.

"The 1996 1Z has no water jacketed heat exchanger on the EGR, a "T" in the fuel line returning from the fuel pump to the fuel filter thermal valve, a "fuel injector for catalyst" solenoid pump attached to the rear side of the air filter box, and a 1Z on the build sticker. The AHU has a water cooler, no T, no 5th injector pump, and a 1Z on the build sticker."

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=208197&page=3
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:39   #29
rdkern
Veteran Member

AAZ was in the TD's in Canada prior to the 1Z. If it's an NA, it's not 1Z. Might be something pre-AAZ for all I know, since I though the AAZ was 1.9.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 13:42   #30
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

AAZ was a mechanical 1.9 Turbo Diesel.

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote