Timing belt replacement based on time

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just thought of this and was wondering. Bought a low mileage 2005 NB with 39k miles on it. By mileage it isn't due for a belt replacement for quite a while. But it has been 6 years time on the belt. I can't remember exactly what the recommended time interval was for replacement 6 or 8 years or something like that.

1. What is the recommened interval based on time for replacement?

2. Can just the belt be replaced, as the other components don't have a time interval to them? Full change will be done on the original schedule.

3. Is the labor the same to just swap the belt as for the full change? What is involved in just a belt swap?

I can't see replacing the hard parts if it isn't needed yet. I estimate the difference in cost to be $200 for belt only to $700 for complete replacement. There are 2 gurus here (runonbeer and Mach1) who can do the full replacement and/or belt swap. I know the safe answer is do the complete thing. Seems a waste though for the other parts. Car is currently running well with no issues.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've seen recommendations as low as 5 years on this site, but the Bentley manual makes no mention of time interval, and neither does the Continental site. I'd perform regular checks on the belt and arrange for replacement of the whole system if you see any degradation.

I doubt you could get anyone to do just the belt for $200. The labor is nearly the same, and you'd need to buy new stretch bolts too.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I replaced my belt at just over 4 years and 80k on the clock.

Some will reply that you risk complete failure...

Others will say that you will be fine.

Some have had early failures... before 80k

Others have gone 130k and belt still looked new.

Flip a coin... It will give you greater satisfaction....:D

BTW... Hardest part is replacing the belt.... Other things are easy....

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
the Bentley manual makes no mention of time interval, and neither does the Continental site.
ContiTech does specify 6 years, but... they're in the business of selling belts...
http://www.contitech.de/pages/presse/pressemeldungen/2009/091216_aam/presse_en.html

As for getting the belt changed for $200... you won't get anything better than a half-fast job at that price, and are much better off not doing it at all...

The new style belts are much hardier than the old time ones, but they're usually not the units that let go... it's the bearings in the idlers, tensioner, or water pumps that usually give up the ghost... And you have to think about the ambient temperatures to which the car has been subjected down in Texas...

Although I'm not one to follow the time-based recommendations too closely (we drive too much... change the timing belt about every 2 years), nothing lasts forever...

Yuri

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I hadn't looked at the procedure for belt change so I didn't know if swapping just the belt was less involved or not. Seeing as it isn't there is nothing to be saved really by doing just the belt. I will change everything and be done with it. Thanks!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks for the link, Yuri. I found nothing on the US site when I looked there.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Given the strict outlook the Germans take when it comes to automobile maintenance and repairs (example: when disconnecting the drive axles, they'll replace not only the CV-joint bolts, but the pressure-equalizing plates underneath... contrast that with the way things are done on this side of the Atlantic), one might be tempted to extrapolate a slightly elevated measure of time for the timing belt changes...

YMMV...

Yuri

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
If it was a BRM motor then I could see doing the belt alone for $200. You wouldn't even have to touch the mount (I usually pull the belt out prior to breaking down the mount on those engines). Belt off belt on super snappy.

Since it's not a BRM, you are looking at about the same labor as a full kit.

I'd like to see you run that thing a little longer and just keep an eye on it. Contrary to what a lot of people say, it is possible to see when a timing belt is wearing out. You'll begin to see the circumferential ribs behind the teeth. Although, at that point, you should stop driving it and flatbed the thing to me or Randy. PD belts are WAAAY stronger than even the most lauded ALH iteration.

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
in my manual it says 40k or every 4 years. which seems too soon. anyway, my polo had its first timing belt change after 10 years with 70k on it.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I replaced the whole system on my 04 jetta at 57K miles, mostly due to age, but also because the dealer had taken it apart at 45K to replace the head, and put the old components back on. As runonbeer said (he did my TB) the PD belts are really tough, but then again I believe the PD units put a lot of torque on the belt. Mine looked visibly worn when we took it off, the rollers and WP seemed fine.

Given the price of rebuilding the PD head, I wouldn't take any chances.