www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 6th, 2014, 14:00   #46
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I can't remember what I used last year(I think it was the sticky felt from Walmart-tape kept getting stuck together),but it's holding up so far,with the winter we've had and using the heater non-stop when driving.Of course,I haven't torn the dash apart to physically see.....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 27k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 160hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 426k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:56   #47
artie b
Veteran Member

This is what I used. The aluminum is thin, as I didn't think we has a lot of static pressure to tear it. I liked the -30 to 350* I tested to 450* and it didn't shrink and stayed on. Menards, Be kind this is my first photo to this site, Artie
artie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 15:48   #48
bherman13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie b View Post
This is what I used. The aluminum is thin, as I didn't think we has a lot of static pressure to tear it. I liked the -30 to 350* I tested to 450* and it didn't shrink and stayed on. Menards, Be kind this is my first photo to this site, Artie
I got the exact same thing and am planning on doing it this week. I asked the guy at the store if he knew how long it should last and he said "probably 30 years or better". I don't know whether he's right about that but it's better than hearing something worse.
bherman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:37   #49
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

I also used HVAC rated aluminum tape, but wish I would've done it differently now. Don't get me wrong, the tape works great and stays stuck. The issue is that you still need some type of foam or rubber to get a tight seal when you change the vent settings on the knob.

Heat blows out of all the openings now to some degree even when the knob is turned to the floor / feet setting or vice versa. This can be overridden by shutting the upper vents manually, but is still a little annoying.

If I had to do it again, I would start with the aluminum tape and then put a coat of thin felt, rubber, or gasket material to get an air tight seal on everything.

Not a fun job at all.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 13:50   #50
Technician!
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSilver View Post
One added option whilst you have access to the airbag mounts for the passenger side.... Remove the airbag completely. Buy a B3 glove box and install in its place - the glove box is unchanged for the B4. Plug a 1.8 ohm resistor into the airbag connector and the airbag warning light will not come on. You get: (1) A proper glove box. (2) Rid of an explosive device in your passenger's face. Similar can be done for the driver: unplug airbag & insert another 1.8 ohm there, remount the now inert airbag. Remember: those airbags were the Ralph Nader full-explosive-force ones that can snap your neck.

Did the 1.8 ohm resistor work for you?
Technician! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 14:13   #51
Rustytdi

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 43

Just a newbie question. I have a 1998 jetta tdi and I have the foam in the vents. My ac is not cold which could e a few things but the clutch engages (it makes a slight noise which could be the bearing) and the system actually read high on the high side (smaller port?) pressure using a junky gauge you get with an ac recharge kit.
Ac on fan on high turned to cold it blows warm air turn it to hot and it's hot air. Never cool or cold.

I am assuming I need to do this fix on my car. Which I guess is considered and a3?

This is my first vw so I'm scouring for info. I'm loving it though! These cars are great.
Thanks for any help.
Rustytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 15:28   #52
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Rusty,
Yes, you have an A3.

You really need a set of gauges to properly diagnose what's going on...or what's not going on.

AutoZone has loaner sets. I don't trust them, though. You never know what contaminants you migh pick up.

Almost any auto parts store has a set for~$75. Or you could buy a set at harbor freight. Any auto magazine has a 20% off coupon.

You'll also want to start your own troubleshooting thread. Pm me the thread and I'll see what I can do to help.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:56   #53
Big Daddy Roth
Veteran Member

I get the HVAC tape, but tell me about the foamy stuff you guys are using.
Big Daddy Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 20:08   #54
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Roth View Post
I get the HVAC tape, but tell me about the foamy stuff you guys are using.
I believe the foil covered foam tape is really pipe insulating tape. I was tempted to buy some at the farm and home but remembered I had some sticky backed felt that wasn't doing anything.

For those who do the door repair but still have air coming out where it shouldn't, it may be because there are actually two doors with the foam covering inside the housing and both of those metal doors are perforated. The second one (that you can't see when doing the repair from the front) is actually a dual action door with two flaps instead of one.

Here's a pic of both covered in felt. Since I had the housing out to replace it (old one was infected with mouse stink) I opted to separate the heater housing side and take care of both doors.

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.

Last edited by Steve Addy; October 13th, 2014 at 08:41.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:26   #55
Big Daddy Roth
Veteran Member

I ended up just covering the doors with foil tape. I've got hands like a well hung lesbian, so it was hard to get my fingers in there.

Foam is key for a complete seal.
Big Daddy Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:58   #56
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

On the B4V, I split the box and used the tape and felt. I created a good seal.

The issue is the foam is also missing on the dash vent dampers. Closing the vents, now creates an irritating whistle on speeds 2 and higher. I need to redirect top the windshield to stop it.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 16:35   #57
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
On the B4V, I split the box and used the tape and felt. I created a good seal.

The issue is the foam is also missing on the dash vent dampers. Closing the vents, now creates an irritating whistle on speeds 2 and higher. I need to redirect top the windshield to stop it.

-Todd
Yes, that's a problem too, I agree. Not really sure what a person can do about it. IIRC the original foam is a thin piece either applied to the edge of the flap or fitted into a U channel that's plastic. Been a while since I looked at it.

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 18:02   #58
ToddA1
Veteran Member

The damper is actually 2 pieces that sandwiches the foam. I tried to recreate it with felt, but I couldn't get the 2 pieces to snap back together. I need to revisit.

-Todd
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:24   #59
artie b
Veteran Member

Would using a large O-Ring in the groove help with sealing the vent grilles doors?
Should help with the annoying whistle.
I have a couple of heater boxes and dashes out and will look at this possible solution.
I can't remember how much gap their was? Artie

Last edited by artie b; November 2nd, 2014 at 16:36.
artie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 16:48   #60
ToddA1
Veteran Member

There's maybe 1/16" all the way around.

-Todd