www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:59   #46
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

It is a separate server and therefore requires a separate login....though it uses the same login as the main tdiclub site.
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:52   #47
mogly
Veteran Member

On my '96 it was mounted directly above the fuse panel on the inside of the firewall. Not sure if the '97s are different and they're mounted on the fuse panel itself. That would be much easier to check.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:59   #48
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

According to the pic below from the first post of this thread, I am missing relays 72 & 110, and I have a relay 191 where relay 21 is. What do these relays do? I am going to search for the answer but if I don't find it, feel free to chime in. Thanks!
Old November 11th, 2009, 16:58   #49
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Which "72" is missing?

Relay position #2, (right side up "72" in this image) is for the rear wiper / washer system.

Relay position #5 (the upside down "72") Is for the (to be filled in when I remember just what the heck it is used it for).
<edit> I can't determine what that relay was left there for. There is no listing of any relay being needed in position #5 in the GLX donor on which this conversion was based, nor in the TDI driveline and engine wiring I stuffed into the GLX. The water temperature gauge and sender are connected to a branch of the position #5 relay socket, but do not run through the socket so leaving this position empty would appear to be correct.<end edit>

Relay position #6 (21) is for the emergency flasher. If your flashers (and directionals) work, then I'd leave this 191 in place for now. My 98 Jetta had the 191. Please see the third image in post 1 for reference.

Relay position #10 (where I installed the "110") is for the fog lamps. This is usually just a metal jumper bridge clip in the North American GLS trim Passats that were sold with no fog lamps. I installed a relay to limit the use of the fog lamps to only in conjunction with the low beam headlights. A relay "53", like the one used for the horn in location #11, is typically used here for the fog lamps, but the "110" has a higher contact rating, I had one, but did not have a second "53".

In any situation, these three have nothing to do with the glow plug circuit. That green painted metal cased circuit breaker is for the power windows, the 10 amp fuse is for some other nonsense, cruise control maybe? If you had ABS the fuses for that controller would also be tucked up in the rat's nest. too.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; November 11th, 2009 at 17:31.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 17:28   #50
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Enough editing, time for a fresh post.
The glow plug coil is energized for only a few moments at comfortable temperatures. Disconnect (electrically unplug) the water temperature sensor to trick the engine computer into thinking it's sub-zero. The computer would then keep the glow relay coil energized for many seconds before timing out. That might be enough time to check the test lamp.
The 96 Passat has other test points that are more easily accessed. Please read post # 7 in this thread to locate more easily reached test points.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:18   #51
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

I've had my glow plug light bug me for the past month and a half with numerous resets. Fuses all good, harness and plugs are less than a year old and I didn't want to drop the money on a new 180 relay. I noticed that relay 103 is a bridge for the system. Pulled that out and noticed some corrosion. Cleaned that to a nice shine and put it back in. Once this heatwave passes and it gets cool (anything >70F is warm for me, and cold for most of you is <30F) I'll see if it comes back. If it doesn't, I think this should be added to the check list of things to check before replacing the relay or harness.
Digital Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 13:58   #52
savannah996
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None now

im looking for some help, it seems you guys have a lot of relay panel experience. i put my 98 jetta tdi (iz) into a 97 jetta 2.0.
i kept the fuze/relay panels in the respective cars, and just removed the engine wiring harnesses of both cars from the fuze/relay panels and plugged my tdi's harness into the 2.0's fuze box.

well here is the problem.
1. the tdi starts and runs well.
2. the glow plug and cel lights do not flash when the ignition key is cycled. (yes i did swap the gauge clusters)
3. a scan tool cannot connect to the ecu through the obdII port.
4. i did briefly install relay 180 into socket 12 which caused it to smoke.
-
-
-
everything else is working good on the car, im just worried the tdi ecu isnt getting power and this is causing the glow plugs to not operate and also i cant get and codes out. im installing my boost gauge tomorrow to check on boost pressure.

Last edited by savannah996; January 16th, 2010 at 14:19.
savannah996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 14:15   #53
savannah996
Veteran Member

this is the fuze box as it is now with the exception of relay 167, it is removed now.

Old January 16th, 2010, 14:21   #54
savannah996
Veteran Member

also top right corner, anyone know what 53 and 173 are for? power windows and or sunroof maybe?
Old January 16th, 2010, 14:30   #55
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuse, not fuze. This isn't the name of a caffeinated drink.
Please go back to post #7 in this thread. The position 12 in the A3 TDI are empty.

The fuse and relay block is the same. The relays aren't. The complete 1998 electrical system, including the "remote" relay mount connections snapped to the top of VW's "12 fold relay" block need to be used. Some of these are quite important, such as the wiring to the back of the car. Some aren't that critical. I can't tell so I swap them all and go from there.
Relay location 12 is wired to the fuel pump in the tank of the 2.0 gasser. Relay location 12 on the A3 and B4 is used in some fashion for the glow plug circuit. Exchanging the relay plugged into the front doesn't change the wiring on the back.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Last edited by Lug_Nut; January 16th, 2010 at 14:34.
Old January 16th, 2010, 14:33   #56
savannah996
Veteran Member

edit.

what would be nice to know is where my glow plugs are actually wired to right now so i can stop guessing, haha. i will follow the wire back from the 50 amp fuse on the fire wall, to the fuse box, then i will buy a new 180 relay and put it in. (when all this dam rain stops)

then i will work on the ecu issue

Last edited by savannah996; January 16th, 2010 at 14:40.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:59   #57
savannah996
Veteran Member

on second thought i will wait till my bentley gets here.
Old January 19th, 2010, 17:21   #58
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Good idea to get the Bentley, because that 50 amp fuse on the firewall isn't for the four combustion chamber glow plugs.
<-- rolling eyes in disbelief (not sarcasm).

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old January 20th, 2010, 17:45   #59
savannah996
Veteran Member

well that is what someone said here, (about the fuse) however when i looked at it the wires didnt look right.
what IS the fuse on the firewall for anyways?
Old January 20th, 2010, 18:07   #60
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah996
also top right corner, anyone know what 53 and 173 are for? power windows and or sunroof maybe?
173 can be for radiator fans. 53 can be the starter inhibit relay.

Last edited by MOGolf; January 20th, 2010 at 18:22.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote