Anti-gel additive for diesel in NC?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I used PS white while in the Midwest over the holidays. Temps around 0F or below. It was more of an insurance policy, but also concerned with the fuel still in the tank from NC. At home in NC, I usually don't add anything.

One of the local stations did a segment during their weather forecast where they showed diesel fuel from a local source gelling in an open glass jar with temps in the low teens.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Live on Long Island NY. Just had my 2012 Passat TDI in for inspection and mentioned the car shaking on cold start. They added an anti-gel to my fuel. While I was waiting two TDIs were towed in for fuel gel problem. It is a necessary precaution here.I wish I knew before.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...The other reason I always use an additive is to boost lubrication, since I live in a state where there may be more biodiesel in the mix. All the pumps say "5-20%," which isn't very specific.
IIRC, anything over 2% bio is adequate lubrication for the HPPF.;).

Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, the higher the bio, the greater the risk of gelling. So, it might not be the petro diesel (additized) that's the culprit, but the % of bio.

Comments?

InfoSec

Veteran Member
...and here I am thinking that Stanadayne's Performance formula was the recommended additive from VW. I use it every tank full since it helps to fix our low sulphur diesel issues and it has wonderful anti-gelling capabilities. It says it raises cetane, but I can't say for sure.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I religiously use Wynn's Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment at every fill up. I only had one issue of my vehicle during the winter. After, checking all my options I checked the battery and it was weak. It's was 3.5 years old and the 2nd battery in my car. I replaced it and hadn't any problems since.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've read almost all of the battery threads, and for current CRTDIs, 3 years is about average for the battery. Some may last longer, but I've always been one to proactively change a battery on MY schedule, rather than waiting for failure to inconvenience me or my wife. Failures occur during hi-stress conditions, either extreme cold or extreme heat, neither of which is convenient when you're stuck somewhere with no power.

I've followed the 3-year rule on all my VWAudis since 1983...cheap insurance (OEM always around $150), keeps the electronics happy (I believe they don't work as hard when fed consistent higher voltage?), and never a battery failure.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I added ps white to both fuel tanks, both were fine (34.6 mog for the passat, 34 mpg for the beetle). I replaced the battery on the passat on its 4th birthday(build date 10/22/13), the bug is at 4.5 yrs - starting to dim the dash lights on start - new battery today (build date 6/23/13). Passat wasnt showing signs of weakness, i needed guaranteed starts.