separating wiper from washer?

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
As a lot of us know its mighty cold up here and a lot of the winshield washer tanks or lines are frozen. You don't really know til you give it a try. This only to find the wipers start grinding the crap on the windscreen around with no juice and making matters worse.
In the dark ages before computers we could operate the washer and the wiper separately. It allowed an opportunity to soak the dried crap before scraping it with the wipers. It saved blades and glass.....
with the combined setup we can't do that.
Is there a way to program the system to allow the washer to run without the wipers? We just got a low mile TDi GSW and I'd like the glass and blades to last a while.
I thought I recalled a way to fix the 2009 through the VAG-Com but couldn't find it....any help is appreciated.

Frank

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I don't believe it's possible. At least the stock setup does spray a bit of fluid ahead of the wipers if that's any consolation.

On a slightly separate aspect of the wipers: I learned the hard way last week to scrape off all ice before running the wipers. I had an icy windshield and figured I'd try to defrost it with wiper fluid. The friction from one pass over the bumpy ice ripped off the leading edges of both front wipers. $52 for replacement beam arm blades (Mexican made) from the dealer. I'd paid it because I needed them right away. I'll explore better options, as I own two Mk7s.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You might be able to change this in one of the adaptation channels of the BCM. Page through them and see what's available.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
They sell ice scrapers too. I was just being lazy! :p
I heard that! Ice scrapping is no fun. I've done my share on postal trucks. You can't even park the wiper on those trucks away from the glass the night before to protect the blades. I am glad to be retired and have the TDIs in the garage.

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
I've got no problems scraping ice and snow off if I need to. What is really annoying is when the truck in front of you is throwing salty mist up that coats your window. You can't just wipe it off because it smears and freezes or just smears. A good shot of washer juice will help when it works but when it doesn't I don't want to smear everything around when it doesn't. With the nanny system you don't have a choice.
The back window is covered in self inflicted crap but still the same for wiping. No juice still means a wipe and trashed blades or bad smears.
Thanks for the suggestion Compu 85. I'll see if the local guy with the VAG Com can help me out.

Frank