Another aftermarket sub question

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
So it’s christmas, and I’ve bought gifts for everyone I know or pretend to care about, but the Passat has nothing under the tree. I fixed that atrocity today by ordering a P300-12 (Rockford Fosgate powered 12” sub). I’ve read and read about installing an aftermarket sub and have it all worked out except for one thing. Everyone ditches the factory sub (fender system) and runs the aftermarket sub all by itself. I can’t think of a single issue with my proposed plan, but thought I would run it by the interwebs and see if I’m missing something. What would be wrong with adding the aftermarket sub and keeping the factory fender sub as well? As long as the phasing is correct, I can’t see where it would hurt a thing, and in fact may be even better. The only issue I can theoretically see is the fact that the factory sub doesn’t play below 50 or so hz so from 50 up, there may be too much bass as compared to below 50. Without a proper eq it would be hard to tune that out. Overall I think the fender system sounds quite nice, but the lows are definitely missing and I want them. The sub I bought is small and takes up minimal trunk space and I plan on just keeping the ski boot door removed to allow the sound to pass through. I feel this should allow me to reduce the overall “bass” setting and take the lows away from the door speakers making everything cleaner sounding. I will be using the factory sub speaker level inputs for my sub amp input. I know the factory system rolls off the bass at higher volume levels to protect the speakers, so I’ll use a LC2I to combat that. I figure that’s easier than tapping into the line levels outputs of the RNS510. Thoughts, arguments, and conversation welcome. So, run them both? Or ditch the fender sub altogether?