Front end noise. Like so many.. ;)

kaneelschep

TDI
ex-66kw passat, ex-132kw a6. Audi a4 b5.5 tdi 85kw
Hi all.

I recently changed the two U's on the controlarms. The bushings in them came loose so they made a lot of noise.
Now the loud clunk at potholes/bumps is gone.
Steering is a lot tighter again.

But this made way for a new less loud noise.
When I take a normal (not roundabout or 90 degree) corner with a bit of speed, you can hear it clunk fast depending on my speed repeatedly.
My logics suspect the stabilizerbar rubbers, control arm. Or a top mount.
I dont know.
I checked all the suspension parts. Seems like they have no play.
Any idea where to look for specific wear and tear?
Or this sounds like a familiair problem?

Thanks!

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Is the clunk more of a clicking that clicks with the same speed you are traveling?

If so, it's likely one of the CVs on the side that you are making the turn (turning left, a left CV).

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've found the aftermarket replacement axles click. Brand new they click. Ive just learned to live with mine. Ive gotten it down to a science where i can make them click from a start or low speeds if i want.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
My OReilley MVP remans have been fine. No clicking, no vibrations, and cheap price. IIRC they were about $65/side. 45k on them so far and boots are still intact as well. Previously the driver side boot would blow by 50k. Right side boot lasted 210k.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
My boots look fine but i can twist the axle if im parked with no load on the power train. (slight bearing play forward/reverse) will make the same click click if i accelerate or decelerate quickly causing the power train rpms to increase quicker or slower than the wheels. No idea the miles on mine as they where on my v6 5 speed donor vehicle. I now have some 20k on the swap and she's driven with some spirit form time to time. No issues other than the click. I looked for weeks to find the source until i grabbed the axle to pull myself across the floor while laying on a creeper.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The play in the joint is not what's causing the clicking, the bearing surfaces are worn in the CV housing and have a lip that causes the clicking.

kaneelschep

TDI
No it is not a clicking sound. I know cv joint sounds. this doesnt sound like it.
And its not always there while driving either.

Its a thumping sound. When I go over humps, bumps.
And becomes more repeatetive, like a fast thudthudthudthudthud under pressure in corners.
Like something is loose somewhere in the suspension or stabilisor bar.

I thought I checked it all. Dont see any real worn things that can make this sound.
Maybe someone knows some tips to better check for wear?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Step 1: put car on lift
Step 2: pretend you're a kid all hopped up on mountain dew playing on some monkey bars. Swing from anything you can grab, push/pull/forward/reverse/side to side

If you can't find it start looking at any worn bushing and mounts (is your snub mount good, motor/tranny mounts)? Loose steering racks are common on passats too. Check ball joints, tre's etc

kaneelschep

TDI
:D good thing we have no mountain dew here.

I put a tire iron between all the bushings I could find on the suspension parts and joints.
Nothing seemed to move excessively.
Did not know how to check things like top mount or steering rack.

will look into the rack.
I played a bit with the car, how to replicate the sound.
When I quickly let go of the clutch a bit you also hear the same sound like a clunck.

kaneelschep

TDI
Read on the steering rack. This seems to make other noises. I tried while driving home yesterday. I do 100km every day. It doesnt make any noise when I wiggle the steering wheel. Driving or standing. Steering rack feels tight.

So when I rock the car a bit on the clutch it makes a solid one clunk everytime i let go of the clutch to rock it.
And while driving it feels like something has some play and starts vibrating on the bumps of the road.

This weekend I hope to put it on ramps and hang on everything again.
It must show something.
We'll get to it! ;)

kaneelschep

TDI
Ended up being the upper control arms which all 4 went rotten very fast after replacing the stabilizerbar U arms.
They developed a lot of play very quick!