1998 VW Jetta TDI - new to me.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI

Been searching for TDI for 5 months - finally found this on Denver Craigslist. Priced right as it needs some love.

158k - manual windows - 2nd owner ( i am third ) Koni coilovers - timing belt is due..

i have P1252 code - which i have been researching and looks like you have to remove the IP pump to replace it anyways - so i am thinking about just doing a new Giles pump - my turbo seems OK - i was kinda thinking about that OEM hybrid upgrade at the same time - but not sure i want to drop $2k right away - maybe fix my initial problem and do different nozzles ( i smoke at start up )

Is Giles pump worth it - or do i just buy a rebuilt one on ebay for $800-1000 and call it a day - i plan to keep this car ( dont i always say that? )

I am getting rid of my Mk3 2.0 that i have had for a year - its been good to me - reliable - cold ac - swapped out some parts this weekend

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
i have P1252 code - which i have been researching and looks like you have to remove the IP pump to replace it anyways - so i am thinking about just doing a new Giles pump - my turbo seems OK - i was kinda thinking about that OEM hybrid upgrade at the same time - but not sure i want to drop $2k right away - maybe fix my initial problem and do different nozzles ( i smoke at start up )

Is Giles pump worth it - or do i just buy a rebuilt one on ebay for $800-1000 and call it a day - i plan to keep this car ( dont i always say that? )
Very nice!

Check for chaffed wiring. Seems silly to drop $$ on a new pump when yours could be working well. Do not buy an ebay pump. If you need to replace pick up a used one from the club...I believe there are a few ahu pumps being listed right now.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I checked the connection at the pump and it read 15.3 ohms. Gonna check more wiring tomorrow if I can find a diagram to see where to test

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I don't want to beat it to death, but did you check the wires where they come out of the plastic protective cover (before the injection pump,and throughout the engine bay)-my wires looked fine on top,but were starting to chaff through a little where they rub the hard plastic-Abacus removed some of it. That's a nice MK3 you have-that was the color of my Jetta,and I still miss the car.Just something about the A3.My advice to you is if there is ANY spot of rust,take care of it immediately. It spread like wildfire on my Jetta. Do they use a lot of salt or other ice melting products where you live in winter? They pretty much coat the roads here with ice melting products in winter:rolleyes:.....so rust is a winner in my neck of the woods.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i got a wiring diagram via text message once the sun goes down i am going to do some more wiring diagnostics - as sounds like that might be my problem - more so than the n108 itself and its OHMS are within specs. gonna break out the radio shack multi-meter here in an hour or so... i was fighting the round connector to get it to spin off last night and i lost light so i stopped but gonna do some poking around tonight..

car came from colorado where they DO not use it - we use the **** out of it here - not sure i will drive this car this winter or not - hopefully not - as i want to keep this one - regret selling my last 2 mk3 TDI's - been driving that white MK3 2.0 for a year and its about time i found me another TDI - once i get this running issue resolved - its tuning time ( oh ac needs to be fixed too ) going to swap out the interior to black - add heated seats - swap in black carpet - lower down the koni adjustables.

cwarndahl

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf tdi
What is the symptom that means you need a new pump? Just went through an ordeal with mine. After 2 mechanics wanted to replace the pump, and a PO garanteeing me he had it rebuilt a year ago. Finally got my car to my prefered mechanic Robby, he and his guy found a broken solider joint in the ecu.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
P1252. It's spuratic hesitation. I ohm tested and it came back in spec. Checked voltage and it was 11.6. But that just means it could be random. Then. I untwisted my engine harness to look at the connections and it broke.

So. Looks like I have a bigger fish to fry first. But maybe I'll try a spare Ecu once I get my connector fixed again. I'll post pic when I am in front of computer

Was yours. Mk3 ? Or the mk4 in your signature ?

cwarndahl

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf tdi
Oh sorry it's a mk3 sold the mk4. I've been using tapatalk instead of my computer so I have not changed my sig yet.

cwarndahl

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf tdi
Ya I got the same code. And I had throttle porpoising. And a boat load of black smoke. Make the cummins jelouse. So everyone wanted to sell me a pump and I just was not buying that was the case. That's why I asked.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Ya I got the same code. And I had throttle porpoising. And a boat load of black smoke. Make the cummins jelouse. So everyone wanted to sell me a pump and I just was not buying that was the case. That's why I asked.
I ordered a new $120 wiring harness plug - yesterday :(

I think i might try to find me a spare ECU to test / tune - As i said i checked voltage and ohms and it checked out - i didnt get to the ECU wiring yet - might this weekend - since i broke this - it might of been broke before

The 14" Tear drops on the TDI are in great shape - picking up another 16v Scirocco today also - that has 14" snowflakes - i plan to rock my 16s and keep my 15's off White car for a rainy day.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Damn, I would have gone to the junkyard and pulled one from a gasser, or asked someone else to. I keep a spare around just in case something like this happens to one locally.
oh i did - and they are different the TDI one is slightly larger plug - cost $2.75 at Upull it - i just hacked off the wiring then side by side there is a HUGE difference - i have three Mk3's at my shop - i am going to look at the GLX Vr6 parts car i have - but its Obd1 so it probably different as well...

it will be a learning experience and get me and the car to get to know each other very well...