Is it time for a new Injection Pump

phawkins224

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
03 Jetta Tdi....145,000 miles....stock except for race pipe....started about 3 days ago....throwing code 17656 Start of Injection timing regulation....P1248 -35-10- control deviation- Intermittent....

phawkins224

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
timing belt replace about 30,000 miles ago 100,000 mile kit.........timing has retarded twice since new timing belt.....will check timing belt and tensioner

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
How long since you changed the fuel filter? When my IP was starting to go I found that a new fuel filter bought me several thousand miles before the codes came back. I still had to replace the IP, but it gave me a chance to get a good buy on one.

Dave

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
timing belt replace about 30,000 miles ago 100,000 mile kit.........timing has retarded twice since new timing belt.....will check timing belt and tensioner
This is a flag. Why is the timing moving? It shouldn't. Makes me wonder if the tensioner is not set up properly.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I recently had to replace my fuel pump - but my car had 296,000 + miles on it when it happened. It started gradually - losing power and towards the end it kept losing prime so it was hard to start.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Case pressure relief valve on the pump coming apart? :confused: IIRC, low internal pressure in the body of the pump can cause problems with injection timing. Easy to fix and takes less than 5 minutes, but I don't have the procedure.

OTOH, it may be time for a new pump.

Good luck.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
2x flag. ;-)

Another possibility...someone used an impact wrench to tighten the crank sprocket bolt and it is now working loose.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I received a log and timing is not advancing, indicating a timing solenoid failure or piston binding. I requested some more info, but it'll most likely come down to pulling the pump and inspecting it.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I received a log and timing is not advancing, indicating a timing solenoid failure or piston binding. I requested some more info, but it'll most likely come down to pulling the pump and inspecting it.
And finding nothing wrong and then putting the cam plate back in upside down?;) (Only jcrews knows what I'm talking about and that comment is not directed at anyone but dumb me.)

A cracked/bound timing piston will usually make the engine sound like a john deere tractor at idle. Same goes for a N108 electrical failure but then you get an accompanying code.

When you have the pump off, do please also closely inspect the back of the tensioner for damage. Was it tensioned clockwise or counter clockwise?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Should be easy to determine if the timing piston is damaged. There are two covers on the bottom of the pump on either side of the body. Take off the one with 4 screws and see if there is any carnage.

And before you pull the pump, you can measure resistance between pins 9 & 10 to see if the n108 is open.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
The pump may need to be taken to your local Bosch shop and rebuilt. They should be well familiar with this procedure. I was actually driving around for about 20k miles with a completely BROKEN quantity adjuster spring, among other things 'off' with the pump. $800 standard price for the rebuild and blueprint to Bosch's specs, it runs like a scalded dog now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are only 4 Bosch shops in NA that can service and calibrate these pumps. Wisconsin, Oregon, New York State, and South Carolina.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
There are only 4 Bosch shops in NA that can service and calibrate these pumps. Wisconsin, Oregon, New York State, and South Carolina.
Wow, quite wrong.

Everglades Diesel Injection Service in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (where I had both of my TDI pumps rebuilt) and Diesel Injection Service (I probably have the name wrong) in Garden City, Georgia that fully tested and inspected the injectors for my Jeep CRD.

I will admit that I don't know for certain that the Georgia shop can do the VE pump, but they certainly had enough other pumps laying around after being serviced. Everglades Diesel however... They work on probably hundreds of pumps every month, and have a full room of testing gear to calibrate the pumps. Much of what they service are marine engines because of the proximity to the port, but they don't have any problems with OTR or consumer diesels either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I may be confusing the Georgia shop with SC, but the FL one is good to know about.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Don't recall. I know a customer in FL told me about it. That's why I think it may be the Georgia one that Geordi mentions. I could probably find out, it would take a little digging.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
...and in case "search" ever leads any Canadians to this thread Performance Diesel in Markham Ontario (aka "Giles") has the full Bosch test bed setup and runs factory Bosch calibrations AFAIK.