Popped My Cherry

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I've never ever drove a VW, but I've wanted a TDI for a few years now. Oh my - it was way better experience then I thought it would be. A local dealer got a 2000 jetta in for me to look at. Little older than I thought it was going to be. Has 106,000 on it. The paint could use a little work, its not horrible but it's not been pampered either. So not sure if I'm going to be getting her. They told me 8,000 for it. I haven't started dealing on it yet. Also not as much room in the back seats like I thought there would be. They might as well made them a two door. I love the 5 speed on this, and the nifty reverse action on it. I was baffled on how to get into reverse and had to break the manual out. I'm hooked for sure on a TDI.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Good luck & an early welcome to the fold.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
They aren't quick, but they are very easy to drive. If you had some spare cash, I can't over estimate how much better some nice new bosio nozzles would make the car drive. When I first bought mine, within 24 hrs I had nozzles, clutch, and a tune installed. HOLY COW! That was a great transformation.
The market is so soft on used TDI's now it's great for prospective buyers. Just keep looking. Like you said, the paint wasn't that great. If they didn't maintain the paint, what else did they neglect? Just a thought.

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I met up with Jason in Madison, WI today and had him give it a once over. I was very impressed with Jason, and his knowledge. He figured about $1,700 to fix the things on her that needed attention. Pulley tensioner wasn't replaced with the timing belt, the belt is showing some wear so we'd just do the whole thing again, and then the shocks in the front need replacing and some bushings also. He pointed out about the front fenders having a service bulletin on them for rust, and took care of the snow screen on the intake also as that was getting plugged up. So again thanks Jason, your da man. Time to do some dealing on this with the dealer.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
You are very lucky to have someone like Jason near you-he's one of the best around here.I would say $8k is kinda steep to begin with-TDI prices are in the crapper now-just wait till next time gas prices go up.Good luck on your dealing-let us know how it goes!

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Jason is the man.

The torque is additicing, so is the sound of the turbo whine/exhaust.

I'm warning ya! :D