has anyone used the cheap ebay nozzles?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
It has been done. Not successfully but it has been done.

Don't do it. It will cost you a lot more money in the long run. Save your money and get the real thing.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
great, I would love to hear from someone that used them either with or without success. Wondering if those that had bad luck with could have been a washer problem??

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
you get what you pay for. Quality nozzles from reputable vendors are very reasonably priced for what you get.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I'm dynoing my car this weekend.. I'll be sure to let you know... btw careful about the reputable vendor comment...

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
I just really would like to hear from the people that have tried them, if you have never had any personal experience with them I am not really interested in hearing your opinion. thanks
Brent

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
TDI'ed said:
I'm dynoing my car this weekend.. I'll be sure to let you know... btw careful about the reputable vendor comment...
thanks I am interested in hearing how it goes

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Any 4 nozzles for under $150 = Smoke

They will all work great when new but down the road they will start to smoke worse and worse but only when you push it.Just some of my own personal experience!

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Brent_B said:
I just really would like to hear from the people that have tried them, if you have never had any personal experience with them I am not really interested in hearing your opinion. thanks
Brent
I bought a set a couple of years ago from the guy on eBay just to see what they were like. First thing I can say is they may say that they are made in Germany or France, but their just cheap Chinese knock offs. I installed them in a car to see how they would perform, they lasted about a week before I began getting excess smoke and terrible fuel mileage. They don't last.

The Sprint 520's that I have had in my car for the last 75k miles have been great, never a problem.;) Just be sure and have your injectors pop tested and balanced whenever you get new nozzles.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I can't comment on longevity but I have had them for about 6 weeks now with the same results as day one.. I would hope so! As far as smoke goes I am actually going out of my way to get them to smoke.. with my current tune and the IQ set at 3.5 (as per instructions from my tuner) there is little to no smoke, great throttle response, I get over 500km a half a tank of gas... I set the IQ way down to 2.0 today to test it out and yes I get a smoke train at WOT but I would expect that since the IQ is at the very bottom of the suggested limits. I have it set now at 2.8 and the smoke is marginal and throttle response is great. There are others who have had good experiences with them. As I said earlier I will post up my dyno results and you can take what you want from them. Personally if it was between Sprint 520's or these I would go for these as both are not likely to be permanent upgrades. If these start giving me issues a year from now I will replace them and been happy with my 120 dollar purchase.

The comment about 'reputable vendors' could be interpreted as saying that SMOG is not reputable.. I feel that is a damaging allegation and unless you have had negative experience with him then those types of comments should be avoided. Its just too easy to wreck vendors reputations on the net... I had great customer service from him.

Last edited:

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
I use ebay (chinese) 0.205, 0.216 and 6 holes of 0.205 last 130,000km on my old TDI 1998!
Smoke... yes with no or bad tunning, when do a good tune, no black smoke and more power.
Is less expensive, is lower consistency between nozzle sometime but if you are afraid to buy, take 2 set of same nozzle, you have all chance to make good set and is again less expensive than brand nozzle!
I not say "buy only cheaper" but cheaper is not bad all time, chinese nozzle is not hell!

Dieseleux

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
OUCH!
What most of us do not know is that the PISTONS will also reflect the quality of the nozzles!

In time, the pistons will be damaged by the less quality spray pattern :p !

Something like FYI!

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
bikeprof said:
OUCH!
What most of us do not know is that the PISTONS will also reflect the quality of the nozzles!

In time, the pistons will be damaged by the less quality spray pattern :p !

Something like FYI!
do you have proof? Do you have experience with them? As long as an injector is tested prior to running then it shouldn't be a problem. Since I work in the motorsport industry I would have the spray pattern checked prior to installing them. Like I said at the begining I am looking for real world results not scare tactics or he said she said info/dis-info Thanks Brent

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi
Lots of Black smoke = definetely bad/not proper tuning, that's all, btw.... I never see any epidemic melted piston caused by bad nozzle, may be isolated cases that I do not know, and maybe not caused by bad nozzle, but bad tuning.

There is a million of chinesse nozzle wich have been sold all around the world by several vendor and since several years, I guestimate the bad one less than 5%.

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
Brent_B said:
do you have proof? Do you have experience with them? As long as an injector is tested prior to running then it shouldn't be a problem. Since I work in the motorsport industry I would have the spray pattern checked prior to installing them. Like I said at the begining I am looking for real world results not scare tactics or he said she said info/dis-info Thanks Brent
A friend of mine is being an idiot - not only has he used ebay nozzles, but he used ebay nozzles for a VAG, despite my attempts to tell him the pattern was wrong - 150 degrees instead of the rover's 145, he went ahead anyway.

I was expecting piston damage, but surprisingly enough the vp30 pump broke first. He's still not taking me seriously, but that's his watch. Not sure why it broke, but I think the nozzle is not only crap, but too small. From a 90bhp car :|

One thing to watch out for is that Nozzles wear over time. This is normal, but if you have a cheap nozzles, made out of, well, hardened crap, it might not just wear, it might just disintegrate. I've myself killed a vp37 pump this way with 'cheap' parts. Seemed to go well, rotated freely but after a couple of turns, crack, the insides turned to metal powder.

Personally I'm not interested in seeing anyone spend a lot of money, but if you insist in buying cheap nozzles, the car and anything you do to it will only be as good as the cheap nozzles you buy. And after reading quite a few stories on here (do glance through the search feature) I'm guessing that'l be quite crap.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Most people who make a bad purchase decision don't usually 'fess up---misery enjoys company, blah blah. Here's a few that came up on a search. These are people who aren't satisfied, not people who had catastrophic failures. There are people who have had disastrous results, melted pistons, etc., if you're interested enough you'll search. Will you let us know what you go with, and the results? Good luck.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=229988&highlight=ebay+nozzle

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211529&highlight=ebay+nozzle

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=201450&highlight=ebay+nozzle

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=152857&highlight=ebay+nozzle

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
If you go with these nozzles please buy a few sets of washers so you can pull the injectors periodically and check the spray pattern. Members report rapid decline, it would be interesting to see if/how the spray pattern changes. Pics of this would be a great contribution to this site.

tasdrouille

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4
5500 miles on my .216s I got for 80$ from jbmorrisson. I got lucky, numerous people weren't so lucky with products from this vendor, but my set works great. No tune, IQ at 6 and timing advanced 3 degrees, I only smoke >4500 rpm, but that's to be expected of any .216s on an untuned car. Did a whole tank at 55 mph on the highway the other day, 59 mpg, I'm happy with how they perform.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
To the OP. I am not going to try to dissuade you from your decision. I would, however, make a suggestion/request of you since you appear set on buying these nozzles and of member Frank06. Please contact member Frank06 and ask him nicely for a favor: (1) Can you send him the nozzles your seeking to buy prior to initial installation; (2) ask him to check their balance, spray pattern and quality. It would be interesting to hear his opinion. I should note that I would not be surprised if he already has done that in the past and could post up such an opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
I am not set on buying anything. I am set on only hearing from the people that have used them. I have been around the motorsport business for many years, I am just looking for real world I have tried them results, its Anyone's disinformation or or the scare tactics or acorn swingging that I am not interested in! :)
Frank would be a great one to hear from since I had read in a prior post he was going to test some personally. But I never seen his results posted

The stock NOZZLES are made by bosch??
so the best bet for a set of .205s is from 110hp engine??

Last edited:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
food for thought

IMHO, Bosio or Bosch are the only manufacturers whose nozzles belong in a TDI. are you aware that the minimum pop-pressures are 200 bar? that's almost 3,000 PSI... at a minimum. AFAIK, that puts these particular breed of nozzles in a whole different ball-game than just about any other nozzles

have you seen any pressures that high on other platforms in the motorsport industry? one of my co-workers has a project car (which he rarely drives) which is a Nissan 300z (IIRC) Twin Turbo... I told him my TDI has a high pressure injection pump, and that the nozzles pop around ~3,000 PSI... he did not believe me. further, he claimed that it was actually impossible and that my fuel lines should be exploding if that were true. apparently he missed the part about the high compression ratios, and the direct injection into the cylinder. I asked him what kind of pressures the Nissan sees: he said ~600 PSI...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Sip'n Diesel said:
IMHO, Bosio or Bosch are the only manufacturers whose nozzles belong in a TDI. are you aware that the minimum pop-pressures are 200 bar? that's almost 3,000 PSI... at a minimum. AFAIK, that puts these particular breed of nozzles in a whole different ball-game than just about any other nozzles

have you seen any pressures that high on other platforms in the motorsport industry? one of my co-workers has a project car (which he rarely drives) which is a Nissan 300z (IIRC) Twin Turbo... I told him my TDI has a high pressure injection pump, and that the nozzles pop around ~3,000 PSI... he did not believe me. further, he claimed that it was actually impossible and that my fuel lines should be exploding if that were true. apparently he missed the part about the high compression ratios, and the direct injection into the cylinder. I asked him what kind of pressures the Nissan sees: he said ~600 PSI...
What??? You can´t compare a compression ignition engine with a spark ignition engine (diesel vs gasser), completely different design.
Even a VW 1.6D from -82 has over 200Bar peak in the hard lines (the pop pressure is 135)
You don´t have a high pressure pump, a common rail diesel has a high pressure pump, at 30000 (2000bar) PSI.

Last edited:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
...it's all relative

fine! go ahead, put the POS e-bay nozzles in the car! I just DGAF! I hope the car blows up!:p

nokivasara said:
What??? You can´t compare a compression ignition engine with a spark ignition engine (diesel vs gasser), completely different design.
Even a VW 1.6D from -82 has over 200Bar peak in the hard lines (the pop pressure is 135)
You don´t have a high pressure pump, a common rail diesel has a high pressure pump, at 30000 (2000bar) PSI.
OBVIOUSLY it's not comparing apples to apples! thanks for pointing that out SHERLOCK! I just thought maybe the OP would appreciate my attempt to save his TDI from EPIC MOFO FAIL

Last edited:

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
Sip'n Diesel said:
fine! go ahead, put the POS e-bay nozzles in the car! I just DGAF! I hope the car blows up!:p

OBVIOUSLY it's not comparing apples to apples! thanks for pointing that out SHERLOCK! I just thought maybe the OP would appreciate my attempt to save his TDI from EPIC MOFO FAIL
THE OP would have appreciated if you would have followed what I asked for :p
IE Don't respond unless you have personal experience with them!

my old powerstroke had some pretty high injection pressures in the injector also
:p
I will refrain from asking your car to blow up :)