BHW into 2003 A6 Wagon

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I decided to go this route instead of W8, but have run into a little problem with the wiring connectors. The BHW harness white an red connectors do not plug into the slots behind the ECU. I was advised to get the wiring diagrams from Aldata (which I did), but I cannot find the simple diagram to tell me what each of the wires does. Does anyone have the information about connectors T-15a, T-10b. T-10d, T-10e, T-3a, and T-3s? Otherwise the mechanical swap with the 01E 6 speed manual from Frans has gone well.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, the tech guy that reprogrammed the ECU to manual told me that Alldata wire diagrams are the same as Bentley, but I am not happy with them. I can get a download of ELSA for about $12 on Ebay. Right now I'm hoping that the wires can be matched by color codes (in the white connector), and that if the connectors plugs do line up like the orange brown and black they should be fine. On the red connector there are only two wires that have matching colors. How are you doing with your TDI into a W8 swap?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
It's not going to line up. You'll need the wiring diagrams.

I haven't touched the W8 swap yet. Just got too busy over the summer and it looks like the body panels might all be in for the Beetle project. At least the W8 has been running great as is.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll start by taking out the BHW harness and with my continuity meter try to find the end function for most of the wires. The wiring diagrams from the the A6 can then help me know where those wires hook up to.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
I decided to go this route instead of W8, but have run into a little problem with the wiring connectors. The BHW harness white an red connectors do not plug into the slots behind the ECU. I was advised to get the wiring diagrams from Aldata (which I did), but I cannot find the simple diagram to tell me what each of the wires does. Does anyone have the information about connectors T-15a, T-10b. T-10d, T-10e, T-3a, and T-3s? Otherwise the mechanical swap with the 01E 6 speed manual from Frans has gone well.
Do they have the same color?

On my VP to PD MKIV swap i had to cut off the connector key to plug it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=459714

Post #14

You have to find out what passes by those wires, compare the 2 wiring looms.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
The white T15a and the black T10b have the same color wires, but one on the T15a is a different gauge. The black plugs right in, but the white would need a patch connection. The other plugs have a few or no wires that match colors.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I could find a diagram of the pins in the connector like on post #9

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You really need to study the wiring diagrams. W8 is a different beast. Rad fans, A/C wiring, power supply relays, etc. all different.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still having some trouble identifying some of the wires. I can not find them on the Alldata site. Have any of you used the PDF's from www.emanualonline.com ?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
PM me your email. I have a spreadsheet with all the pin locations I made from the BHW and BEL (2.7t AllRoad) swap.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally got my car back into my shop this week and hooked up the wiring. For some reason it won't communicate with the VagCom. I rechecked the Can Bus High and low and the K wire, they seem to be correct, but on fuse 32(Engine Control Unit) there is no voltage. But the car starts and idles just fine at about 900 rpm. Sometimes there is a little throttle response up to about 1600 rpm other times the foot pedal is dead. Is there something else simple that I'm missing?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to run a scan with my OBD Fusion App and a bluetooth. I keep getting code P0600. I rechecked my K wire and High and Low Bus wires. The all have continuity with the proper pins on the ECU. And the green wire on the OBD connector does have continuity with the k wire. Is there another wire that needs to connect to the ECU?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I'm making some progress. I took the ECU out of my Audi TDI conversion project and put it in my 2005 Passat with the 5 Speed manual. There I was able to change the coding from Auto to Manual. I tried to re-code the ABS, but something is lacking in those instructions. That car started and ran but the Christmas Tree lights were still on. So I swapped back ECU's but now the speedometer doesn't work on the Passat. I'll get that addressed later. When I hooked up the ECU in the Audi, it now starts and runs great revs up fine. Still no communication with VCDS Lite, but technically the car is driveable. The main issue I have now is how to make the oil level light stop flashing. There is no oil level detector on the BHW. Also the Brake pad wear light is flashing, but I cant find broken wires or worn break pads.

Also if anyone knows how to move this whole post into TDI conversions, I'd appreciate it.