Volkswagen says US pickup is back on the table

winks

Veteran Member
absolutely... you and thousands of others like you. The 1/4ton -1/2ton market has a huge void and whoever steps up and fills it is going to make a KILLIN' in NA :cool:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
If they ever did bring this truck here, I still think it would do well. But a lot of "truck buyers" would be expecting a bigger engine. The fascination with large displacement and high HP numbers is hard to overcome. There are rumors of a Ford Ranger replacement with a 4.4 liter V6 diesel. Can you say overkill? Look at the new GM trucks, who really needs a half ton truck with a 400 HP 6.2 liter V8?

My old K1500 5.7 is what...about 170 hp? It happily pulls 10,000 lbs as fast as I would want to pull 10,000 lbs. :eek:

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My dad once owned a Dodge pickup with the 225 c.i. slant-six. With a 3-on-the-tree manual transmission.

chops_555

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6spd manual Build date: 09/08
Darn it! That is cool! I would buy one. That looks alot like a Toyota Tacoma to me. Or even like the Toyota Hilux. Looks like a pretty cool little truck that we can't have. Chalk it up to another cool thing that overseas companies think we would never buy because its not huge and V8 powered....

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
such arses I would buy that but when they finnaly offer it it will have a guzzler motor with automatic why not build that in tenn instead of somthing bigger than the curent passat to fit tha fat american arse

steviemac

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
This would be my next family vehicle if they brought it. Unfortunately VWoNA is run by a bunch of MBA'ers pretending they know about cars, not a bunch of car nuts like us pretending to know about business...

Years ago Subaru was on the verge of obsqurity -- then they ran with the idea of making AWD their niche. They ended up developing a loyal following and overall they have weathered the last two years better than the rest of the manufacturers. I think VW should fully embrace diesel as their niche and offer a diesel option in each of the various automotive categories. Further, they should start in the segment that interests me the most and bring the Amarok TDI over...

regulator

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think VW should fully embrace diesel as their niche and offer a diesel option in each of the various automotive categories.
:) :) :)

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
regulator said:
I think VW should fully embrace diesel as their niche and offer a diesel option in each of the various automotive categories.
:) :) :)
Build a diesel minivan (not a rebadged Chrysler) that gets over 30 mpg and costs less than $30,000 and they would sell every one they could make.

eric_x

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 TDI Passat Wagon
owr084 said:
Build a diesel minivan (not a rebadged Chrysler) that gets over 30 mpg and costs less than $30,000 and they would sell every one they could make.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
eric_x said:
The T5 is kind of expensive (Fully loaded T5 is more expensive than fully loaded Phaeton!), and too large to be a minivan.

It's huge inside! (picture shows the short wheelbase version)

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
As much as I wanted to see VW bring this here, I can see why they won't. Americans just don't buy compact pickups anymore, the market is down to two main players.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Will we get the Robust?

I found a web site that showed a new VW pickup called the Robust? They say the initial plans are NOT to bring it to the US.

Anyone know anything else about it?

I don't like my 26 mpg Tacoma any more after getting a VW TDI.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Robust = Amarok, same vehicle, just different names for different markets.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
owr084 said:
I've driven for over 1000 miles the VW Eurovan 8 seater. 25mpg during that time. It was great. Three thumbs up. Even when full with kids, soaking wet camping gear and dogs.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I have not seen the weight on this truck, in terms of it meets the US standards as a passenger vehicle, or if it goes into the commercial truck category like the Dodge and Ford diesel trucks (I suspect it is passenger vehicle based on towing capacity).

The difference is significant in the engines and exhaust (read:emissions) that would be allowable under current US clean air laws.

I remeber back in the mid-80's, to get around some import tax laws, Isuzu shipped the Troopers over as a truck (without a back seat). The dealers could add a back seat later. Why not do the Arawok with a non-particulate filtered engine (read: ALH style engine), and a heavy plate in the bed to make it heavy enough to be a "commercial vehicle"?

Then the owner could unbolt that heavy plate and remove it if they wanted to.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I'd be pretty sure this is to be a direct competitor to the Hilux/ Ranger/ Mitsu L200/ Isuzu Denver. As such it's in an interesting position- the others all have more lowly-stressed 2.5 to 3.0l diesel engines. Whilst economy might be better, power is nothing remarkable, and longevity might be in question...

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
tdi4mpg said:
Here's a first drive review of the Amarok that we did in Argentina. :)

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/12/first-drive-review-2010-volkswagen-amarok.html
I shouldn't have read that... now I'm ticked. I would sooo like to see this truck in the US... but I must stress that I want to see it in the configuration in the article, diesel, manual, four-door. Not some potentially disappointing US spec gasoline only, automatic only, or some such tragedy. I live in the wrong country for what I like in a vehicle.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
I can beleive its got a real frame underneath I can just hear the whine of my boss vee plow as I clear the driveways and condos. Whats the wheelbase? My fuso is 103" I wonder if it can turn as tight?

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
This, a diesel tiguan... i'd buy either in a heartbeat. I just need to tow a boat that's 1500 lb's on the trailer, and be able to throw dead animals or my motorcycle in the back.... christ this ticks me off. Mahindra's might be pieces of crap... but if they get their diesel here (with a king cab instead of crew), I'll probably buy the thing since there are no other offerings in the small truck class.

dieseltdi

TDI
soon to be 82 Vanagon TDI
I actually have money down on a Mahindra pending delivery in February. I have kept up with their redesign for the US market and they seem to really be trying to get it right the first time. As far as they being "crap" anyone that can build a truck that withstands the "roads" of India and SE Asia should be able to easily build something that will go forever on US roads.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
my mahindra tractor serves me well. their trucks look like a old toy that crossbred with a chevy luv, but if I were buying I'd buy it with the stick (not offered) . What so hard about offering a stick to go with a truck here ffs it drives me nut autos never go the long haul especially in a truck that get beat on and worked.

Last edited:

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
mittzlepick said:
my mahindra tractor serves me well. their trucks look like a old toy that crossbred with a chevy luv, but if I were buying I'd buy it with the stick (not offered) . What so hard about offering a stick to go with a truck here ffs it drives me nut autos never go the long haul especially in a truck that get beat on and worked.
That's exactly my problem with the Mahindra as well - no manual transmission means I'm not buying. Otherwise I would be VERY interested in it. What a dumb decision. I guess they think there aren't any Americans left that can drive a stick. During the last year or two I've heard rumors back and forth over whether they will bring a manual or not... sometimes I heard yes, sometimes no. Maybe after the initial introduction they'll change their mind and offer the option. Or maybe VW will change their mind and offer the Amarok here... and hopefully be wiser than Mahindra and bring it with a manual. Lack of choices is sooo annoying!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
domboy said:
That's exactly my problem with the Mahindra as well - no manual transmission means I'm not buying. Otherwise I would be VERY interested in it.
I agree with you, but at least Mahindra is offering a six-speed AT, made by Aisin I think, which shows that they are trying to impress prospective buyers with a serious transmission. No crappy four-speed AT like some entry-level minivans I can think of. Presumably the Mahindra transmission is matched to the torque level of the turbodiesel engine, with at least some margin of safety.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the TR20 is supposed to be available first, possibly in February 2010

Here's an interior view. No space for a reclining seat, but it looks okay.

Not sure if the TR40 (4-door crew cab) will arrive at the same time or later. The SUV will be later, maybe late 2010 or after.

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
typical vw. short sighted and only going where it is safe. let someone else build the market and come in 10 years later(crv/tiguan).

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Where did you put your money down on a Mahindra? I'm still waiting for a response for the demo from 6 months ago. They really need to tour the states with demo rides.

Sounds like Mahindra also plans a hybrid diesel. Wouldn't that be something if they beat all others to the diesel hybrid punch.

Too bad VW isn't serious about building (bypass chicken tax) and selling the Amarok here. Demand could be spectacular.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Even Consumer Reports advises against buying a the first-year run of a new Honda designed and built here or in Japan....how much more a truck from a third (second?) world country?

Well, we appreciate some of you folks for being guinea pigs.

How well will these Mahindras do in crash testing?